Sign in to follow this  
Media_Student

C.Martin set to sign for Derby

To be fair... Lambert and Hughton both probably said to Martin go away to championship and show me something to give you a chance.

afterall 4 goals in 30 games in the championship for Norwich... isn''t worthy of giving that much of a chance in the PL imo.

Then goes to Palace 7 in 26 is championship level.

Swindon 1 in 12 in league1.

and to Derby 2 in 13.

Surprised that Derby even wanted him to be honest. Whilst people might be right CM didn''t get much chance in the PL, but did he deserve to be given a chance?

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

If you have talent ( and in my opinion, Chris Martin did ) then you can get away with less than 100% commitment at a lower level. That does not cut it, however, when you have to face top level players who are prepared to give 100%. Climbing the ladder in sports is like climbing the ladder in life, there are many who are blessed with the opportunity of getting their foot in the door but want to sneak out the window because they think they can. 

[/quote]

Is that sneaking out the window then down the ladder YC?

Shame there is no transfer fee involved, but from all accounts he was on a surprisingly large wage (no-where near a top earner  but above average) so at least we saving some money there!

he has a great career waiting for him as a top league 1 strikerfound his level there long agobeats working for a living though eh

He''s had so many chances and wasted them all so far. Let''s hope he has had a change of attitude.  

At this rate we''ll be a defensive version of Barcelona!

Probably a year too late but a good move for all parties except Derby who I suspect won''t get much more than a in and out of the team squad player who will likely end up sliding down lower the League!

Could do it on his day but a combination of the club moving forward very quickly, bad atitude and lack of pace meant he was limited at Norwich City.

I thank Chris Martin for his half season back in 2007/08 I think it was, the terrific season he had for in League 1 and the decent squad role he played in the championship promotion season the following year! - 2.5 decent seasons out of 6 tells the true story!

That might be a bit harsh on Chris, Kingsway.

Decent player, good finisher and better feet than people gave him credit for. But, you are right about the pace, while I''m sure he''d leave me for dead, he doesn''t have that "first 5 yards", that said, playing slightly deeper I think suits him and it''s good to see a youth product carving out a career at a decent level. Derby is a sight better than the likes of Jarvis or Crow managed.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][img]http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Football/Pix/pictures/2010/3/27/1269719947704/Chris-Martin-001.jpg[/img][/quote]

Thanks Mister. Great memories!

As for Chris Martin, he certainly has talent. It''s all very well posters trotting out his goalscoring stats but he''s got far more to his game. If he''s happy at Derby and Nigel Clough can keep him focussed we may hear a lot more about him next season. The thing is that Clough has already had a good look. He knows the player''s history and he must be confident that he can get the best from him. He must also be happy that Chris fits well into the group.

Chris came through our academy and he''s playing at a fantastic level. How many academy players get the chance to play for a big club in the Champioship. I so want to be proud of him.

Pleased for him.     I dont understand most of the anger at him.   Its been a good year for him,   despite irrational di Canios outburst he has cleary impressed at both Swindon and Derby - I hope he continues to do so.    Young enough to win another promotion yet.

Not quite fulfilled our hopes for him but has come so much further than most acadamy players (all acadamies,  not just ours) so I am pleased he has the chance to kick on with his career.    Farewell and good luck.