Sign in to follow this  
birchfest

Everton and other potential relegation candidates next season?

Provided we do the buisness and stay up, Ive been thinking about who might be worse off next season and might plumit in the same way we have seen Bolton and Wolves last season and to an extent Sunderland, Newcastle and stoke this. I think if it does come down to be Wigan, Reading and QPR it could be said that it was a fairly predictable 3, next season should be abit more open with regards to who might get the drop.With it being reported that Moyes is set to take over at Utd, what does everyone think about Everton? Is this likely to be disruptive to them and effect their performance? Is there a chance that Moyes will want to take Fellani and Baines over to Utd... I think they might just find it abit tough next season without him guiding them. In all honesty I think they will be fine, maybe an Aston Villa wobble but in the end ok.West Ham and Southampton both have done ok, but that second season syndrome might kick in and I could see perhaps West Ham having a shocker, especaily with Carrol probably going back to liverpool. The momentum of promotion wears off and its a fresh start. Southampton have started slow but just about gotten over the line. Much like ourselves with Holt, they have depended on Lamberts goals... lets see if they have a similar season to ours if his goals dry up.The teams coming up, Cardiff will have money to spend but I think Hull with have learnt their lessons from last time and so will be much more prudent and in turn potentialy weaker. I also hope for Watford to come up as I think they would be the weakest of the play off teams to go up, largely depending on their loan signings form their parent club. Newcastle, Sunderland and Stoke are also all potentially teams that could be in the mix... heck Newcastle might even go down. I think Di Cannio isnt a long term solution and that will show over the course of a season when the infighting eventually starts. Stoke have a poor start and the Pulis out chants will start up again. If he was to go that could potentially be them into the battle. So what does everyone else think? Ive not included Norwich purely off the idea that hopefully we will strengthen and there will be some real chances to take points off other teams that might struggle. Just some late evening optimistic wonderings, what does everyone else think? Feel free to completely disagree with me, I promise not to kick off!

I have been saying to my Son 4 the last two weeks, the teams coming up are probably the worst 4 a long time.

Cardiff are probably the only ones who may stand a chance thru their backers.

Hull whilst they have a mid-east backer I can''t see them really competing in the transfer market with the extra money the existing teams in the EPL will get.

Play-offs dunno!! If Watford come up they only have 14 full time professionals left after the loans go back. We all know that they can''t have 15 loans in the Prem.

So IMO if we stay up, and we will I hope, there are already two teams who I think are worse than us!!!

I do wonder if next year will be a rare case - in recent years - of those coming up going straight back down. Cardiff and Hull have been, shall we say, more consistent than others. Damning them with feint praise. Reasonable amounts of money to spend but there appears to be a real gap in quality and I''m not sure either offers as much as Reading did. Neither have set the division alight or shown that they are a class apart.Of those in the play-offs; Leicester might be the ones to watch out for assuming they still have money to burn. Touch of the QPRs about them though - more money than sense. Maybe they leanr that lesson though.Brighton the greatest potential to yo-yo for the next few years -assuming they build on Poyets foundations or keep him. Palace most likely to struggle. Watford would be media darlings as far as Zola is concerned but remains to be seen how they can exploit the Italian and Spanish links. Would the Pozzo family move valuable assets to the Premier League at the expense of Udinese and Granada? If they did and Zola can get them to gel they might stay up. If they don''t and can''t replace all these loan players then straight back down.

[quote user="mr lister"]

I have been saying to my Son 4 the last two weeks, the teams coming up are probably the worst 4 a long time.

Hull whilst they have a mid-east backer I can''t see them really competing in the transfer market with the extra money the existing teams in the EPL will get.

Play-offs dunno!! If Watford come up they only have 14 full time professionals left after the loans go back. We all know that they can''t have 15 loans in the Prem.

So IMO if we stay up, and we will I hope, there are already two teams who I think are worse than us!!!

[/quote]Jim or Bexley?

I think every year everyone says the teams coming up are the weakest yet.

I could imagine the Bolton fans saying it''s only Norwich and Swansea, and ok QPR have alot of money...

So whilst I agree with you, the 3 teams coming up do on paper look weak. I would also refrain and say was we looked at any differently.

I predict Hull will struggle with Bruce, who seemed to struggle in this league anyway. Several managers, seem too good for the championship and not able to avoid relegation in premiership (McCarthy, Colin, etc)

[quote user="Chunky Norwich"][quote user="mr lister"]I have been saying to my Son 4 the last two weeks[/quote]Jim or Bexley?[/quote]At least there''s another classic Red Dwarf fan on the forum [y]

I think all 3 promoted teams will struggle badly and agree that Leicester might be the outside bet to stay up if they get through. The Champ has been very even this year with some surprising results and the gap from the play offs down to just above the relegation spots must have been the tightest ever.

Of the teams staying up obviously we must be counted as in danger as would Wigan whichever of us and them survive. Pochettino seems to have ridden through the new manager honeymoon so I could also see Soton down there plus West Ham and Sunderland (I reckon Di Canio is an ideal shock tactics merchant but sustaining performance levels over a season may be tricky). My dark horse to be in trouble is Fulham but they may have the funds to strengthen considerably in the summer. I reckon Stoke, Villa and Newcastle will do OK next season. Can''t see anyone from Swansea up dropping down into trouble, unless Laudrup goes to Everton in which case Swansea''s appointment will be critical.

I agree, the three coming up this season will be the prime candidates for relegation, unless, of course, it''s Crystal Palace who have Ian Holloway as manager.

I have it on good authority from reading these boards that he should have been our manager, therefore if Palace come up through the playoffs they are bound to do well.

Indeed its hard to predict what the new teams will do, part of me wants Cardiff to do ok because of Malky, but I not at our expense. Ive heard alot of people talk about how Cardiff could be abit route 1 at times so im interested to see how they fair. They have Bellamy who while bring a huge amount of experience and the owner was banging on about 25 million in the transfer pot.  Hull under bruce.... I think they might be the Reading that just never really get going. I have a personal gripe about Hull, the first time they went up I was at a friends party and was introduced to a Hull fan, I said congratulations on promotion and that because they were underdogs I''d be rooting for them an heres hoping Norwich join you next season, to which he replied ''yeah everyone is rooting for us, But no Norwich wont go up, your shit''. I had only just met the guy... what a werdio, anyway its left be enjoying any result or relegation of theirs and that one arrogant fan. He had a tiger tattoo.. oh dear.Of the Playoff teams;Watford; Full of loans, play some nice attacking football but how will they fair if they lose Vydra.. not got huge financial backing so interesting to see what happensCrystal Palace; losing Zaha will be a huge for them and I wouldnt be suprised to see someone try and poach Murry from them. Holloway plays the all or nothing style, but could this just be Blackpool Mk. 2 with lots of exciting goals and games, but in the end not enough points. Leicester; Financial backing, but as someone else has said they look most likely to do a QPR, buy up anyone and everyone.. and that doesnt always work out.Brighton; Im a big fan of Poyet and his football, but much like Norwich I dont think Brighton have the defensive capabilities to play their style without being punished. I could see them giving an excellent account of themselves with style, but also getting torn to shreds by some of the more experience sides.

It''s really hard to judge at the moment on next season as God only knows what will go on in what promises to be a fairly mad summer. With all Premier League clubs, including those about to be promoted. getting a large amount of cash (although not all up front) it is possible some of the promoted clubs will have 5 or 6 news players come the beginning of next season.  If only a few of them have the impact of players such as Michu or Yacob they''ll suddenly have a chance at survival.

I can also see there being a few shifts in managers this summer, Moyes leaving Everton will probably set off a chain reaction as I can''t see Everton going abroad for their new manager. Will Ladrup be tempted? Unlikely to happen mainly due to cost but Everton might feel he is worth breaking the bank for.

I think Villa will start to pull away from being relegation contenders, Benteke will stay for at least one more season and the young players that made so many mistakes at the beginning of this season seem more composed now. Word is that Lambert will be given a fairly healthy transfer kitty so imagine him to strengthen well again.

West Ham could get sucked into it a little bit, aging squad and they have done well this season without ever looking excellent. Would also imagine Sunderland will struggle again.

However, with this extra cash coming then it will be down to the quality of signings clubs make - there will be a lot of big names arriving in the Premier in the next few months and many to clubs in the mid-table, RVW coming to Norwich, Bony looks almost certainly to be going to West Ham, Newcastle probably have a few more French guys lined up and Swansea will be back shopping in La Liga. With the Budesliga''s much hailed success this season I expect many Premier League clubs to try and raid German teams for their players - every transfer is always somewhat of a gamble, the team that gets the least luck will end up fighting against relegation all season.

The three favs to go down will be the three that come up as it is every season. I think we will be 4th fav to go down if we stay up based on this season.

I''d go us, Stoke, Sunderland and the 3 promoted sides as favourites for the drop. (Leicester, if they come up, would be my main worry, but like said above they could ''do a QPR''.)

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Chunky Norwich"][quote user="mr lister"]I have been saying to my Son 4 the last two weeks[/quote]Jim or Bexley?[/quote]At least there''s another classic Red Dwarf fan on the forum [y][/quote]

Isn''t it the case that Lister is his own dad, the pool table and all that?

[quote user="refjezdavies"][quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Chunky Norwich"][quote user="mr lister"]I have been saying to my Son 4 the last two weeks[/quote]Jim or Bexley?[/quote]At least there''s another classic Red Dwarf fan on the forum [y][/quote]

Isn''t it the case that Lister is his own dad, the pool table and all that?[/quote]''Our Rob or Ross?'' He also got pregnant when he went to the parallel universe and gave birth to two twins. I will be honest and say I can''t remember what happened to them...

If they lose Laudrup and Michu goes to a bigger team then Swansea are my dark horse for relegation. Often, a European competition stretches the resources of a club (see Newcastle this season) and I think the Swans might go the same way.

Other than that the three teams coming up will all struggle.

Impossible to say with the summer player and managerial merry go round yet to take place - and the third relegated team not yet known.

[quote user="mr lister"]

[/quote]

Aren''t Watford under a transfer embargo until January next year for rule bending involving the non disclosure of their parent club''s involvement?

It just requires them to seek permison from League officals to approve any new signings, its not a full blown one unfortunately. The Swansea idea is plausible, Michu might be someone to head to an Everton or a Liverpool, especailly if Laurdrup is heading somewhere else and the league/europe spread can wear down all but the biggest squads. I think they will be safe, but maybe have abit of a wobble like we have this season.