Sign in to follow this  
ca

Your opinions please.

I was thinking about ex Norwich City players who had left us, but are still playing in the premier or 1st division(England & Scotland) and are still successfull i.e. playing well consistantly,picking up man of the match awards,scoring regularly etc.(not ex loan players)
I came up with this list and I''m sure you''ll tell me if I''ve missed anyone.

Tim Sherwood
Craig Bellamy
Andy Johnson
Chris Sutton
Matt Jackson
Danny Mills
What I wondered was,if we had the option to get any of them back, forget the fees involved, which ones would you want and why and which ones wouldn''t you want and why not?

Interesting thread Cityangel. I can''t think of any more top players to add to your list. Obviously there are plenty of current and lower division ex city players who are still playing regularly:

Heckingbottom (Bradford)
Forbes (Luton)
Russell (Stoke)
Robins (Sheff Wed)
Cureton (QPR)

Of the list I''ve made I wouldn''t want to sign any of them because we got rid of all those names for a reason.

Of the list you made cityangel I realistically don''t think we would go for any of them. Obviously if money was no option Bellers, Sutton and Mills would be great additions. But we all know that we would have no chance of getting them. Of the rest Tim Sherwood hasn''t got another year of Premiership football in him. I was on a train with some pompey fans when I was on the way to MK and they were moaning about Sherwood and Sheringham and saying how glad they were that Portsmouth were "reviewing" their contracts at the end of the season! Of the final two I wouldn''t want us to go for Johnson or JAckson either. We''ve got better players at the mo

Sutton is a definite yes, all the rest can go whistle as far as I''m concerned. Bellamy was/is a star but is sooooooo arrogant he would probably cause some trouble. I hate Danny Mills, I don''t care where he''s from - he''s a bad footballer that makes up for his shortcomings by trying to fight everyone, and thankfully Worthy doesn''t put up with indiscipline. I like Mark Robins, but premiership class he certainly isn''t.

City Angel: without any hesitation Andy Johnson, with his grit and a flair for goal he would be a starter everytime with me. Mind you, his discipline record ain''t that good, but its nothing that Worthy could''nt sort out. A perfect foil for Hucks as well I believe.

I never liked Mills but i''m biased cos a mate went to school with him and said he was a grade A to$$er and because he seemed to get move after move to good clubs (us to charlton to leeds to ENGLAND for god''s sake!!!) who paid good money for him and i never understood why so many clubs rated him.
He''s obviously better than i think he is (although i still think he was rubbish with when he was with us!) but i wouldn''t buy him now and i don''t expect to see him in an England shirt again following the emergence of Glenn Johnson and with Gary Neville also still up to it imo for another couple of years.
Always like Johnson as a player but never liked his attitude.

I note Crouchy is not on your list....

I reckon Crouch or Sutton would make great additions, but not so sure on the rest. Johnson was always liable to injuries (not sure how he fairs on this front now) and for sure I reckon our midfield would need some tinkering but we have a diamond in the shape of Francis - it''ll be who we have with him that will be key.

cityangel did say ''not ex loan players'' but would we still need Crouch? he is good but im sure we could get someone better with a better goal scoring ratio and more experience. If we don''t score goals we''ll have no chance! Sutton would easily be my top choice. Scores goals, europe experience and very good physically. Would he be to much or would he want to come here again?

I heard somewhere that Celtic would be willing to offload him in the summer for bout 1.5 million, bargain do i hear you say!? Hucks and Sutton would give us a fighting chance if u ask me!

Wizard,
Dont think Andy has had a discipline problem since he has been at WBA and yes from the games I''ve seen on Sky he still has that grit and detirmination and has been man of the match several times since Xmas!

I know there is often a disagreement with Norwich supporters over the ''worth'' of Danny Mills, but surely to play for England at World Cup level takes a little more than luck.
One can only be left to speculate how much better our finances would have been if Mike Walker had not been blind to Mill''s potential

Mike Walker was blind to a lot of things.

However, Danny Mills may be a good player but his discpline problems and petulance are second to none. I think he''s a complete idiot and wouldn''t want to see him here however good he is. Also, if we had any talent in the country at right-back I really don''t think he''d have made the world cup squad.