Sign in to follow this  
NCFC for life 1993-

Your 'out of 10 rating' for Hughton.

4 out of 10

I''m a bit concerned about the remarks that he could have us playing like he did with Toon and Brum. The vague memories of Toon in the Prem and then Brum in the Champs were generally similar to the tosh served up this season.

Come on Hoots, get us over the line, find yourself a couple of decent coaches then perhaps it could be ''Happy Days''

[quote user="paul moy"]

[quote user="Zak Burger"]BTW imagine how this voting would have gone if we swapped all the fixtures around and the 10 game unbeaten run came in the final ten games of the season? lambert has gone from being a useless scottish tw@t to some sort of demi god amongst a section of Villa fans for getting some results in the final few matches despite a particularly dire campaign for almost 3/4 of the season.

Same results, same points total, different order, would that have seen CH heralded as a footballing genius with everyone looking forward eagerly to next season? [:S]
[/quote]

Maybe, take out that run and would he have survived after going 17 matches for his first win and then another 6 for his second ?

[/quote]

Great point Moyo so on reflection I''ll say...

7 if we stay up.

4 if we go down.

6 if we go down because someone decreed that 10 game unbeaten run didn''t count.

6/10would have been 8/10 before Christmas. Plenty of room for improvement, but with promising signings on the horizon and our place almost secured for a 3rd year and that dreaded second season out the way I think it harsh to give any lower than 6. That said if we lose the last 2 and stay up as a result of wigans failings then its down to a 5

we wont be going down - so 6 based on good signings made and can see how we will be better next season but such poor overall levels of performance.

Oct got us out of jail.

6 as things stand....based on current wind direction and the price of coffee in Brazil. Ask again in two games time because it''s 2 if we go down, 10 if we stay up.Including my 6 rating and based on posts up to Nutty Nigel, I make it;Median 5.5Mode 4Mean 5.26Looking just at those who said "if we stay up", Chris Hughton will be delighted with a 7.4 rating. Exclude those and he manages a measly 4.7.Not sure why you posted a 3 and a 5.5 Vanwink, perhaps you are perpetuating the multiple identities mystery.

4 so far
Took us from being a top half team to either relegation or scraping survival, should have and must do better.
The form since West Brom away is unacceptable, if relegated then 3 if survive then 5

A 4 for me, if only because of the boredom factor. Looking forward to him raising that to 7 or 8 next year though as (if we are still in the PL) he can bring in some better attacking talent.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Great point Moyo so on reflection I''ll say...

7 if we stay up.

4 if we go down.

6 if we go down because someone decreed that 10 game unbeaten run didn''t count.

[/quote]How many if we stay up but deserve to go down?

In footballing terms 3 out 10, dull boring defensive tripe served up since December.

In financial terms and long health of the club if we survive then it has to be 10 out 10, we were once again one of the favourites for relegation at the start of the season, smallest wage budget and not the biggest spending club during both transfer windows.

Overall no more than 5 out of 10.

4 - mainly because of the (lack) of reaction to our run post- Christmas. Even if we stay up our inflexibility/inability to change a predetermined plan does not bode well.

3 rising to a 3.5 if we win one of the last 2 to stay up of our own doing.The football has been poor, he is too slow to adapt, didn''t need to make massive changes to how we were playing but did even though it hasn''t been working. One good run but without looking impressive during it. Unable to motivate, showing too much respect to every opposition, I have heard him say that every other club is a big club and a good team this season apart from NCFC.Is used to coming into a failing team and changing things around. Came into a successful team and changed it round. Never completed a second season as a manager- I wonder what his plan is or if he has one.

I''ll give Hoots a massive 6 if we stay up - which I''m sure we will.Difficult job to do performed without much finesse, but considering the assets available to him it''s nigh on a bloody miracle!

7 for me.

Always going to be a very difficult job succeeding a a manager who had so much success and probably got players to over-achieve for him. At some stage the euphoria was going to die down and players'' form become more "patchy." I''m pretty sure this was part of Lambert''s calculation.

Hughton has bought well and has organised the team very well defensively but clearly we lack creativity. My hope/ belief is that he is following a "build from the back strategy" - hopefully next year we will see more progress as we move to establish ourselves in the premier division.

Two further points, I think many have under-estimated the challenge represented in staying in the division - just because we survived the first year doesn''t mean that we were in any way "established," nor will we be next year. Secondly, I am pretty sure that Hughton was desperate for a striker in both August and especially January and he has been let down a little here.

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]Standard Ofsted rating of : Special Measures

In all fairness:

Tactical Decision making : 5
Team Choice: 6
Substitutions :1
Signings : 9

Overall : 4-6
[/quote]

I''d go along with this.  I rate his signings e.g. I think Tettey is excellent and we''ve suffered when he hasn''t been fit, and KK did a pretty good job for us in his games and contributed a couple of key goals and assists.  Even his poor signings are understandable, e.g. Harry Kane = worth a punt as a last-minute loan signing, Becchio = worth a go as a swap for Morison who was contributing nothing.

Substitutions are a big frustration for me.  Often when we''ve been drawing or winning, I''ve felt at around 75 minutes some of our front/midfield players were obviously tiring, so why not get someone fresh up front who can help us keep the ball more ?  Whereas CH normally won''t change at all unless we''re losing.  And when we are behind, often he has left it late to change anyway, e.g. one change around 80 minutes and a second with just a few minutes to go.  Which actually was a frustration I used to have with Worthy years back - he''d do exactly the same thing (maybe there''s a manual saying this is a good idea?).  With Lambert, if we were behind at 60 minutes (which used to happen a lot under Lamber) he''d have 2 substitutions on, you could set your watch by him.  And it often paid dividends.  In fact, it it wasn''t for Lamber''s ability to change a game, though tactical changes and substitutions, I think his record would have been a lot worse.

He''s a football manager who is unable to grasp that what potentially looks good on paper doesn''t always work in practice, and then gives it another 15 games just in case it magically starts to work.  He''s unable to change a game with substitutions and any changes that he does make he leaves until the 80+ minute.  I''m unable to give him anymore than a 4 / 10 and regardless of whether or not we stay up for the sake of NCFC and my love of football he needs to be replaced.

5 (assuming we stay up). The squad has been stengthened but the style of football and the results have gone backwards.

As we well know his only job for this season was to keep us up and it looks like that will probably happen. However, as most people would say, the style of football has been pretty dreadful for the last few months and he seems unable or unprepared to deviate from the shape he wants to play.

He seems far more concerned with how the opposition can hurt us than how we can hurt them. You don''t get too far with that kind of thinking.

At this stage it is very hard to see how he will change much for next season especially when the criticisms we have of him are much the same as what Birmingham and Newcastle fans had.

The fact that Hughton hasn''t gone for KK & doggedly pursued Hooper & RVW is a sign of his intent, i.e. he has very fixed ideas about the level of player he wants to bring in & the way he wants them to play.

And I''d be very surprised, well shocked, if he intended to continue in the same way next season. If he does I will not be supporting him.

My guess is our style won''t be Swansea-esque, or Stoke like, but something more like WBA or Everton; solid defence & midfield but with the ability to break quickly & score goals from open play.

I expect at least two more players to come in of RVW quality, at least one of which will be a creative midfielder.

I don''t know what to rate Hughton at, It''s just pass/fail for me.

Keep us up & he passes. Otherwise ...

Hmm it''s a bit of a Schroedinger''s cat situation for me.

I suppose I could try & generate a wave function with some appropriate eigenvalues ...

Nah, I''ll just get on with the kitchen.

I know.. it''s like they wait for the game to end before doing their player ratings..... What is it with people these days....

[;)]

5/10.

If Lambert had of used Hughton''s tactics last year, we would of been relegated.

Hughton has a better squad and if we keep up - still a big if - it will be in spite of Hughton not because of him.

No fan, even the Happy Clappers, deserve to be put through another season of utterly uninspiring football.