Sign in to follow this  
NCFC for life 1993-

Your 'out of 10 rating' for Hughton.

Every week the EDP publishes the player ratings from the game previous, just wanted to get your thoughts on what you would give our manager for this season out of 10? For me regardless of whether we stay in the league there have been some highs but the season I feel will be remembered for our post Christmas slide. We have seen some utter rubbish!

Hughton gets a 5 for me for the season.

I just bet the usual pant wetty suspects think it amazingly funny to vote a 1 or something similar.

5.5 for me, adequate but must show improvement next term.

Coming in from scratch and having to get to know the players and get them organised, find his best team, move up the league - all of which he did, up till the new year. You could have said 8 or even 9 then.

The difficulties he has had since knocks him back a bit, but if we stay up you can say job done, so it would be overall a 7 from me.

Standard Ofsted rating of : Special Measures

In all fairness:Tactical Decision making : 5Team Choice: 6Substitutions :1Signings : 9Overall : 4-6

I''d also be happy to give him a 5 out of 10.His signings have been pretty good and he presents himself in a very professional manner.On the flip side, his style of play has been awful at times, players appear to have little confidence in his methods and look shadows of the players they were only last season and changes in games are often made far too late and may often not even be the logical changes we need to go for a win when behind.We could have someone much worse in charge, but we could also have someone better as well...

Difficult one.At the start of the season we might have assumed we would suffer relegation with the 2nd season syndrome so if he keeps us up then how can we complain ? From what we''ve seen I would give him a 5 but if we stay up when we thought it was all over then that might change to a 10.

5.2.Unconvinced but prepared to allow the benefit of the doubt given he signs good players and so the Summer window will strengthen us regardless of who remains in charge.

6.5/10Positives:+Wins against Man U and Arsenal at home+Improved squad massively with overall great signings+Looking to meet objective of staying up (hopefully)+10 game unbeaten run+Improved defense (despite the occasional thrashing damaging our otherwise acceptable goal difference)+Passionate on sidelinesNegatives:-Destroyed confidence of strikers and reserves by and large-Constant desire of playing for a point away from home no matter the opponent-Tactically questionable at times-Improved over the recent months but taking too long to make subs that don''t have the impact on the game they should-Emphasis on defence has led to boring and often dreary football-Could be accused of overcoaching playersNext season he needs to bring in some top quality attacking players as well as fill gaps left by departing squad players to help us develop and more balanced style of play.Bit more than OP asked for but oh well.

7.We''ve had some very poor form this year- no denial.But with a squad that was going to suffer from second season syndrome he has done well to keep us up.The players arent good enough to suit his style and for this I have rated him down. Managers need to play their players in the right way and I''m not convinced we''ve done so consistently enough.

6/7 for me. his signings have been good/great, + his signing for us next term. and I know this isn''t part of it, but this seasons rating for me depends on how he goes about next season.

if he does change our style of play to how it was with birm. and newcastle, then this season will be a 7, as it was a necessary evil.

6.5 for me, if we stay up it''s 7.5 or 8. A lot of people really do seem to forget that when the season started they said they''d be ''happy with staying up'', but now staying up ''won''t be enough''.

It was always going to be difficult, we had to pay down the debt so couldn''t spend too much, newly promoted sides were clearly outspending us. I say give him a proper pre-season and new signings and let''s see what he can do.

BTW imagine how this voting would have gone if we swapped all the fixtures around and the 10 game unbeaten run came in the final ten games of the season? lambert has gone from being a useless scottish tw@t to some sort of demi god amongst a section of Villa fans for getting some results in the final few matches despite a particularly dire campaign for almost 3/4 of the season.Same results, same points total, different order, would that have seen CH heralded as a footballing genius with everyone looking forward eagerly to next season? [:S]

Very good point that [quote user="Zak Burger"]BTW imagine how this voting would have gone if we swapped all the fixtures around and the 10 game unbeaten run came in the final ten games of the season? lambert has gone from being a useless scottish tw@t to some sort of demi god amongst a section of Villa fans for getting some results in the final few matches despite a particularly dire campaign for almost 3/4 of the season.Same results, same points total, different order, would that have seen CH heralded as a footballing genius with everyone looking forward eagerly to next season? [:S][/quote]

[quote user="Zak Burger"]BTW imagine how this voting would have gone if we swapped all the fixtures around and the 10 game unbeaten run came in the final ten games of the season? lambert has gone from being a useless scottish tw@t to some sort of demi god amongst a section of Villa fans for getting some results in the final few matches despite a particularly dire campaign for almost 3/4 of the season.Same results, same points total, different order, would that have seen CH heralded as a footballing genius with everyone looking forward eagerly to next season? [:S][/quote]It all depends whether Lambert has made real improvements that will be built upon next season.  Our results have nosedived, and the Hoot has failed to turn it around.  It has come down to the business end of the season and we have flopped.As for this thread....6/10 if we stay up.  Good signings, but I don''t think he has got anywhere near the best out of the squad.

[quote user="Zak Burger"]BTW imagine how this voting would have gone if we swapped all the fixtures around and the 10 game unbeaten run came in the final ten games of the season? lambert has gone from being a useless scottish tw@t to some sort of demi god amongst a section of Villa fans for getting some results in the final few matches despite a particularly dire campaign for almost 3/4 of the season.

Same results, same points total, different order, would that have seen CH heralded as a footballing genius with everyone looking forward eagerly to next season? [:S]
[/quote]

Maybe, take out that run and would he have survived after going 17 matches for his first win and then another 6 for his second ?

A 4 at best.Poor tactics, extremely dull interviews, too rigid/set in his ways, unable to react quickly enough to changing situations, too much focus on the opposition,  poor team selection, no appreciation/understanding of players strengths, unwilling to take risks, no vision, no invention, no excitement, no inspiration, and totally useless at making effective substitutions.Apart from that, he''s doing a great job!

In true Len Goodman style...

Seeeeven!

Improved the squad, met target set at start of season, kept us (touch wood) in the premier league, wins over Man U, Arsenal, Spurs,

4 and that''s generous.

Even we stay up has taken the club backwards with negative boring play with no attacking threat and piss poor subs.

Goes on interviews saying how good the opposition are, and we aren''t talking about top 6 teams but Fulham and west brom

Need to get rid either way

6 if he keeps us up - a par score.Anyone who thinks we were going to be in anything other than a battle this season obviously should step up from Football Manager into a Premier League managers role. I hear Utd. are looking for someone.

5/5.5 the extra half a point for getting Snodgrass.

Overall, not good enough

Made some good signings, can''t manage a squad, no plan B, players form has deteriorated, confused game plan at best, poor entertainment value, failled to see opportunities to win crucial games, nice guy.

Probably a 4/10 and this is my reasoning:

Most people reason that the majority of Hughton''s signings were improvements on what we had, but the performances compared to last season have been woeful (in the most). So why is that? The players should be good enough, so is it tactics then? If it is, then the buck stops with Hughton there.

Speaking of tactics Hughton is incredibly negative in his general philosophy and his lack of substitutions. I want my manager to be proactive rather than reactive. Too often Hughton will wait until we concede before making a sub, when every man and his dog could see we were going to concede!

Another failing this season was the failure to sign a good striker. The board clearly made funds available (Hooper chase and RVW signing) so why did he not make a top signing that could benefit us this season? Personally I think it was a mistake to put all his eggs into the Hooper basket in January.

IF we stay up, Hughton will have fulfilled his (alleged) brief. However he has not improved the team''s position, or style this year. Whilst I do not expect us to be challenging for Europe, I want to see improvement year on year so eventually we ''do an Everton.''

Reason''s to be hopeful?

IF we stay up i''m encouraged by the signing of RVW and the comments he made about signing attacking players. I take very little comfort in what we have achieved this season other than we haven''t been relegated (yet). We have gone backwards in my opinion.

Do I think Hughton is the right man for the job? Sadly not. Norwich lack a passion and a stylistic quality this season, combined with a lack of wins equals a change in manager for me.

[quote user="paul moy"]

[quote user="Zak Burger"]BTW imagine how this voting would have gone if we swapped all the fixtures around and the 10 game unbeaten run came in the final ten games of the season? lambert has gone from being a useless scottish tw@t to some sort of demi god amongst a section of Villa fans for getting some results in the final few matches despite a particularly dire campaign for almost 3/4 of the season.Same results, same points total, different order, would that have seen CH heralded as a footballing genius with everyone looking forward eagerly to next season? [:S][/quote]

Maybe, take out that run and would he have survived after going 17 matches for his first win and then another 6 for his second ?

[/quote]Worthy survived what 13 matches for a first win and that was with "his own team".@CJF Nail hit on head sir! As we stand we have been fully exposed, I don''t think we''re any worse than during that run it''s more a case of us just not being any better. I don''t see anything but disappointment for Villa fans next year if they think Benteke will repeat his achievment of this (that''s if he''s still there) because without him they''d have been dead and buried around the same time as QPR and Reading such is the true strength and quality of their squad. Can we improve next year? Undoubtedly and I believe we will significantly, can Villa? I''d be sweating on Lerners attitude towards cost saving in the summer if I cared.