Sign in to follow this  
Rasputin was a C...

Man Management

Was just wondering through the world of the internet and came across Paul Hayes website, one time Norwich youth player and now banging goals in a lower level. But from reading his biography on the site it gave a bit of an insight into the way Worthy works with players.

"I signed a three year YT contract in August 2000, and made a number of youth team appearances that season. However, Nigel Worthington came in and replaced Hamilton in December 2000 and obviously had a different opinion of me.

As I entered the third year of my Norwich contract, my first as a pro, I became increasingly disillusioned with my situation. I’d been included in the first team squad a number of times, and whilst there was talk of a new contract, nothing was ever put to me. I felt that I’d had a good pre-season – playing against Ajax and West Ham where I scored, but talks always seemed to be put off at the last minute."

Why does Worthy seem to think that treating players like this is right. I think Paul had a lucky escape. Had he been offered a contract and signed he may now be rotting in the reserves and really considering whether football is the life for him.

I''m not critising Nigel Worthing as he has obviously achieved a great deal with a club that was going down. All I''m saying is maybe we need to bring in someone with lots of experience of working with players on personal issues, rather than hoping that if you ignore it, it will go away.

Whilst not accusing Paul Hayes of being liar, I''m sure this is a slightly biased account of what happened.  Rumours of poor attitude have been banded about.  Also, he''s left Scunthorpe to go somewhere else (can''t think off the top of my head where but somewhere lower league) on a free.  Can''t be that much of a talent

read iwan roberts book, gives a great "behind the lines" view

[quote]Whilst not accusing Paul Hayes of being liar, I''m sure this is a slightly biased account of what happened. Rumours of poor attitude have been banded about. Also, he''s left Scunthorpe to go somewhere...[/quote]

My thoughts entirely DD... we can''t really use this account as a basis for any judgement of Worthy''s man-management skills... Can''t really blame the man for stalling over giving a contract to someone who is now plying their trade in the lower divisions, and barely setting them alight!  Plus, Hammy''s endorsement would be enough to put any manager off a player, heh!

I don''t think Worthy has a problem as such, I think he''s just a bit strict when it comes to respect, and taking care of yourself.  I seem to remember him dropping Kenton once cos he was out on the beers once too often... and when you look at some of the players he''s shipped or is shipping out (McVeigh, Briggs, etc), its no real surprise!

Its probably why he gets on so well with people like Greeno and Hucks... sure they like a drink and a night out, but they don''t see it as more important than their job!

I may have mentioned before that the team gatecrashed our work party at Delaneys last year, the day after the Sunderland game, and it was easy to tell apart those who were celebrating, and those to whom it was a normal "saturday night"... Most interesting about night was the attitude of some of the younger players - Shacks, Jarvis and Hendo, whilst again drunk, weren''t making fools of themselves, and the one who was, Dean Sinclair, isn''t here any more! Briggs got into an argument with someone at our party and, ooh, he''s not here any more either!

And whilst Hucks was kind enough, that night, to spend a good ten minutes on the phone to my ex trying to convince her she''d made a mistake (I swear I''m not making this up!!), McVeigh later tried to pull her on a different night out... so guess which I like more??

Obviously I''m not saying that their departures are as a result of their evening behaviour, but I do think it sheds some light on Worthy''s attitude towards how players should behave... and rightly so too! These people are getting paid lots of money for the opportunity to have one of, if not the, best jobs in the world! And if they want to waste it by getting themselves leathered weekly, then saying goodbye is the least they deserve.

Jeez, I''m sounding like an old man here... I''m 23 for chrissakes!!

Sounds like a disgruntled player who didn''t make the grade.

Why the digs at Worthy at every opportunity?

Who''s taking every opportunity to have a dig at Worthy. I know I''m not, I was just suggesting that we maybe could use someone with more experience helping Worthy deal with players. Sadly I''ve not been able to read Iwan''s book so can''t comment on that. Having said all that the replys to my original post have made me think differently about the manager and his methods. It''s good we''ve all been able to have a good debate rather than having some pillock saying "you''re not a real supporter or you must be a binner coming on here" so I must say thanks for the well considered comments.

The Pink-un message board. The best Norwich City forum on the internet without a doubt.

Paul Hayes was/is a very good prospect. Scunny very much wanted to keep him but he rejected there new contract to join Barnsley as he thinks they have a good chance of promotion and ofcourse there was the more money they offered. Hayesy got 21 goals last season which is 1 more than Eastwood and Paul is only 1 year older than him, so did very much "make the grade".

I remember Iwan saying that Hayes had a bad attitude and thought it was devine right he should be in the first team. He was therefore promptly shown the door and quite rightly so

I read an article in a magazine that interviewed Paul Hayes as a "bright young thing". I think the mag was 4-4-2.

In it he said something along the lines of "My future goal is to get noticed and hopefully get a move to one of the big clubs".

Funny. I never did see much of him after that magazine was printed.