Sign in to follow this  
Michael Starr

Training technology. Should Norwich consider it?

Since March, Dortmund have been using training technology called THE FOOBONAUT. I think they''re the first professional football club to do so.It develops players awareness, ball control and passing ability. Something for Norwich to consider perhaps? Thoughts?!

It really comes down to cost and a suitable location.I gather that it''s a pretty expensive piece of kit (understandable really), and it''s going to need someone to maintain it as well as some manager training as to how to interpret the data it can provide.Colney was designed and built to offer top class facilities in line with the best in Europe so it''s not a huge stretch to see us consider something like this, but I''m guessing that the purse strings will be the key factor in any potential consideration.Also, if Hughton intends to play 10 defensive midfielders, then being able to improve 5 yard passes between them all isn''t really worth the cost..... [;)]

I like that machine at Dortmund, does seem quite an expensive toy though, considering you can do the same thing on the training pitch to a fashion, plus I seem to recall it being around 20 million to make, maybe in a few years?

20 Million pounds!!!?

For 4 converted tennis ball launchers, some scaffolding, nets, neon tube lights, a laptop, webcams and a piece of software!?

Lol

I took this quote from a recent newspaper article about it:[quote]"In an e-mail, Güttler

said the device comes in a number of configurations and that the price

depends on how sophisticated you want it, ranging from $2.4 million to

$3.5 million."[/quote]So between £1.8 to £2.7 million depending on exchange rate etc, and nowhere near the suggested 20 million earlier in the thread...

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]I took this quote from a recent newspaper article about it:[quote]"In an e-mail, Güttler

said the device comes in a number of configurations and that the price

depends on how sophisticated you want it, ranging from $2.4 million to

$3.5 million."[/quote]So between £1.8 to £2.7 million depending on exchange rate etc, and nowhere near the suggested 20 million earlier in the thread...[/quote]So it''s some funky equipment or funds towards a new Left Back / Midfielder / Striker then

[quote user="ReadingCanary"]So it''s some funky equipment or funds towards a new Left Back / Midfielder / Striker then[/quote]If I thought that Hughton was ever going to ask his central midfielders to actually pass the ball FORWARDS (other than Johnson hoofing it nowhere), then I''d be petitioning McNally about this already...

[quote user="Thirsty Lizard"]Take it you missed Howson''s 40 yard pass to Snodgrass that set up our goal against Villa Indy Bones?[/quote]I take it you missed the rest of the season Thirsty Lizard?

There have been some flashes of decent football that anyone can pull out of the hat in denial of the bleedin obvious that our passing has been pretty consistently poor with too many misplaced passes and choices to pass to heavily marked players.

We have needed to improve all season, we have not and so we continue to give away the ball too cheaply with the current defensive midfield pair amongst the key culprits.

we should not need a machine to coach that in, the players should do it and we already have two machince - its what we pay (probably close to or more than) the cost of the machine to our coaches.

Failing that we buy better footballers.

I''m a bit disappointed, I was half expecting the facility used in Mike Bassett: England Manager to have become a reality!

[quote user="Michael Starr"]Since March, Dortmund have been using training technology called THE FOOBONAUT. I think they''re the first professional football club to do so.It develops players awareness, ball control and passing ability. Something for Norwich to consider perhaps? Thoughts?![/quote]I think we should use some training technology called the "Goal".  Basically, we nail three bits of wood together, drive the two posts into the ground, tie a net to it, and then encourage our midfielders and strikers to try and kick a ball into it while a "Goalkeeper" tries to stop them from achieving this, er, goal.

[quote user="AJ"]I''m a bit disappointed, I was half expecting the facility used in Mike Bassett: England Manager to have become a reality![/quote]Speaking of Mike Bassett, me and my brother were watching it the other day and we had to chuckle thinking of Hughton and the lads in the changing rooms talking about Agbonlahor Holt "What a player he was, couldn''t get near him"Hughton "You''re right, MoM for me.... Three cheers for Agbonlahor!"