Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

Managerial Merry go Round

If we scrimp 17th, maybe it''s a blessing in disguise. Say Hughton got top 10, surely a big club such as Everton would have come along and poached him. Hopefully now, we can stay up by the skin of our teeth and Hughton can add to the team and progress next season.

If he keeps us up, it''s job done, i do agree the recent form has been unacceptable and should we go down, i''d agree we need to get rid, but we can''t go back on our word should he keep us up. With RVW arriving, i''m looking forward to what Hughton brings in. His recruitment has been his major stong point so far.

For me, he starts next season under mild pressure, as many managers will. Give him the first dozen or so games at least and see how we are then. If we''re still losing all the time, then get rid.

There is always an element of risk with a new manager, no matter what their record prior to their arrival. One thing that can be said is that, off the back of the 10 game run, we know that Hughton is capable of getting results with this club and also make good signings. Also for me is Carrow Road has become abit of a fortress, we have only lost 4 games at home all seaon 3 against teams that its no real shock. I think he will be safe, though will be set some pretty strict targets by the board... no way he will survive another run like the one we have been on.

Yeah becchio and kamara were brilliant signings so was Harry Kane. Leaving our best passer out of the team all season (fox) has been a good move too

Fergie retires, Moyes to Man Utd, Martinez to Everton, Hughton to Wigan, Di Matteo or Poyet to Norwich....wishful thinking?

Kamara was a good signing, Becchio might well still be but admittedly until he gets a chance has to go down as a poor signing. Kane is his only blotch and that was a panic buy. Kane''s injury didn''t help either.

Kamara wasn''t a good signing. A good signing was someone like Bunn or Whitts. becchio Kane camp & butterfield have been poor.

For every good signing there is a poor one. Personally I''m still unconvinced about Tettey. He''d be a great championship player as he''s full of heart but in the prem you need to be technically good too.

That is the reason we often get over run in the middle. Because he and johnson can''t retain the ball or dictate a game.

[quote user="can u sit down please"]Kamara wasn''t a good signing. A good signing was someone like Bunn or Whitts. becchio Kane camp & butterfield have been poor.

For every good signing there is a poor one. Personally I''m still unconvinced about Tettey. He''d be a great championship player as he''s full of heart but in the prem you need to be technically good too.

That is the reason we often get over run in the middle. Because he and johnson can''t retain the ball or dictate a game.[/quote]I was starting to think I was the only one who didn''t see the whole ''good in the transfer market'' thing. I would have to add that for me while Bunn has done well once he settled he was terrible to start with and we have no reason to believe that Rudd wouldn''t have been just as able. You can see him as a good signing but may well have been completely unnecessary. Lambert saw Rudd as good enough and he had an undeniable record with goalkeepers bringing Forster, Ruddy and now Guzan to the front line.Bassong is very talented but clearly lacks concentration (on the verge of a 3rd relegation kind of backs that up). Turner had a shakey start but then became excellent- genuinely good signing. Tettey- is not good enough in some important areas although granted good in some, not a genuine improvement on what we had, better earlier in the season but is never going to be a complete midfielder. Snodgrass- doubt he is a Hughton signing but even so he has been our stand out player due to the all round poor season rather than anything he brings, decent deadball stuff some of the time but wouldn''t get to take free kicks at any other club in the PL. One paced, little end product from open play. Should not have had the right side of midfield as his own so much this season with Bennett on the bench. Decent enough squad signing.The Kamara saga was the most bizzar trial ever, he hadn''t seen him play before he arrived, played him time and again to see if he wanted to sign him and then didn''t. I think he was right not to sign him but really he could have known that without playing the guy again and again.Beccio doesn''t need mentioning just like Butterfield, Kane etc etcWhitts has been a good addition, Garrido fine as a loan but not worth a perm deal for me.All just the way i see it but that is why I don''t buy the ''good in the transfer market'' thing.

Hughton might not leave us to go to Wigan but if they went down Hughton has plenty of experiance in the Championship to get them back up and Wheelan isn''t short of a few bob compensation. I said more in hope than thinking it would happen MP

Agreed, he''s one of the better "young" managers on the circuit at the moment, and if he left I''m not sure who we''d bring in - Hughton was my first choice after Lambert.

His recruitment is a major strong point, and if we can coup further players like RVW over the summer, then we''d easily be on par with middle table squads like Swansea and next season would give him a more attacking squad with greater options and possibilities.

Given the squad we have, the injuries we''ve sustained, and at times bad fortune we''ve received, Hughton has done OK - and like you said Jimmy Smith, if he keeps us up then he''s done what he was brought here for. And long may it continue. But we simply HAVE to improve next year - we can''t become Wigan!

Hughton is and always has been the long term choice for the club. If he''s less negative next season and we progress, he could still be here in ten years, giving us solid Premier League football.

We needed a Lambert type to drag us up the leagues. We need a manager now who is committed long term. Hughton is that man. Only if he learns from his mistakes this season though.

[quote user="Row D Seat 7"]We need a manager now who is committed long term. Hughton is that man. Only if he learns from his mistakes this season though.[/quote]And therein lies the worry.He''s not changed things when needed time and again this season, both in team setup and in regards to in-game subs, and with this in mind, I really don''t see why some fans think this is all going to magically change next season...

To put it bluntly, Hughton would have to be as thick as sh*t to not realise how his tactics have cost us at times this season. When Lambert left I thought we were a dead certainty for relegation, no matter who we brought in as manager.

If Hughton keeps us up. A big if, then you''d hope he''d have the common sense to watch back the games where we could have gone for more i.e. QPR home, West Ham home, Fulham home, Newcastle home, Reading away, Villa away, QPR away, Wigan away, Stoke away - He could then look at the reasons why we didn''t go for more. Was it a lack of striking options, lack of faith in his players, tactics.

My mum always says ''If you do what you''ve always done, you''ll get what you''ve always got''. So true. If he doesn''t learn from this, we probably go down next season, that''s even if we survive this season.

[quote user="Hannibal II"]Fergie retires, Moyes to Man Utd, Martinez to Everton, Hughton to Wigan, Di Matteo or Poyet to Norwich....wishful thinking?[/quote]If it happened i''d streak around Carrow Rd!I dont think Wigan would ever touch him. Much in the same way that Swansea wouldnt. He would be the complete opposite to the brand of football they currently play.Unfortunately we didnt look to continuity.

[quote user="Yellow Shirt"] Garrido fine as a loan but not worth a perm deal for me. [/quote]

Although I agree with pretty much the majority of what you have said I do disagree with this.

Garrido has done pretty well this season. He''s not perfect but I think he is an improvement on Tierney. Depending on what we have to pay for him to get him permanent I think he would be worth signing. We would need another left back anyway so if the price is right I would sign Garrido and then concentrate on getting in players to improve our midfield. The kind of midfileder we will need could cost us a fair bit.

Davo

With Tierney highly likely to leave in the summer, and a new left back bought in, Garrido would be the perfect ''older'' signing to teach a younger left back

[quote user="AJ"]With Tierney highly likely to leave in the summer, and a new left back bought in, Garrido would be the perfect ''older'' signing to teach a younger left back[/quote]Shame Toffolo is probably a tad too young to be that player, as he''s looked very good for the U18''s this season.

[quote user="Davo"]

[quote user="Yellow Shirt"] Garrido fine as a loan but not worth a perm deal for me. [/quote]

Although I agree with pretty much the majority of what you have said I do disagree with this.

Garrido has done pretty well this season. He''s not perfect but I think he is an improvement on Tierney. Depending on what we have to pay for him to get him permanent I think he would be worth signing. We would need another left back anyway so if the price is right I would sign Garrido and then concentrate on getting in players to improve our midfield. The kind of midfileder we will need could cost us a fair bit.

Davo

[/quote]

I think Garrido confirmed in press conference that because he has played more than 25 times Norwich have to make the deal permanent - although the he could refuse the contract if he wanted to. As Garrido has made it fairly clear he wants to stay in the Premier League I''m 99% sure he''ll be announced as a permanent player this summer.

Another left back would be handy, but Whittaker has played well there on the occasions he''s been given a go this season. If another left back wasn''t signed I wouldn''t be massively worried.

Row D Seat 7

Hughton is and always has been the long term choice for the club. If he''s less negative next season and we progress, he could still be here in ten years, giving us solid Premier League football.

We needed a Lambert type to drag us up the leagues. We need a manager now who is committed long term. Hughton is that man. Only if he learns from his mistakes this season though.

++++++

A sensible post from Row D? well I never...

but, good post, really.

and how people say kamara and camp weren''t good signings, I do not know.

did no one notice the improvement of bunns form as soon as camp arrived? real competition, and not just that from a kid, does wonders.

and kamara was involved in 7 out of last, what? 10 or so goals?

we''d be lost in 18th way behind wigan if it wasn''t for him, get some perspective, people.

Someone praised a point I made? Wow. That''s almost never happened. Heck, forget almost, that''s never happened. Few pints for me tonoit.

Row D Seat 7 wrote:

Someone praised a point I made? Wow. That''s almost never happened. Heck, forget almost, that''s never happened. Few pints for me tonoit.

Make that 2 people

Your support is growing ........... make that 3.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Kamara was a good signing, Becchio might well still be but admittedly until he gets a chance has to go down as a poor signing. Kane is his only blotch and that was a panic buy. Kane''s injury didn''t help either.[/quote]

I think Kane will make a top class forward except he was the wrong striker at the wrong time.

Was Beccio a safety policy in case we got relegated is my thinking.

Kamara was there as an impact player and to raise morale IMO.