Sign in to follow this  
AJ

Bridcutt

Nothing much else to do on a Friday night in, so I gave the Palace vs Brighton match a watch.

I have to say you can clearly see why we''ve been linked to the lad, very good passer of the ball and not a bad tackler. A bit like David Fox, but good enough to throw in a good tackle and be defensively good too. Premier League standard? Possibly, his passing is clearly a talent but went missing in the game at times. Although the nature of the game was a bit scrappy at times to be fair. He would definitely add some competition, but we''d only be able to get him if they don''t get promoted I reckon.

I know it''s been discussed before, but anyone else watch the game? Thoughts?

Typical Hughton player, not much go forward, from the bit I saw!

I''m from Brighton so have seen him play a bit and he lads class. Better than what we got. Reminds me of a mixture of the best of Johnson and the best of howson mixed into one.

"can u sit down please"Hughton would soon make him look ave. just ike he has done with howson.

Your anti Hughton stance really has made you blinkered. Howson was average under Lambert as well. Infact the last few games he has started to improve.

1) howson made howson look ave. however since he''s had a few games he''s starting to look the part.

2) this post was about bridcutt, and you''re trying to make it into a post about managers. if you would like me to I could scroll down and past 5 different threads that are about managers for you.

Thought Bridcutt had a decent game tonight. For what it''s worth I think Howson has been playing better recently. I just don''t think he works so well as under Lambert because of a more restrictive style of play this season. If we stay up I suspect we''ll see a couple of new midfielders coming in whatever.

agreed on both parts to be completely fair, HC. although it could be argued that he faded towards the end of his first half season last year, too.

he''s not a DM and he has been played as cover for one, but more of a standard CM rather than an advanced or defensive role, which I think he would thrive in given the time.

I wouldn''t be highly shocked to see bridcutt here next season, and perhaps Howson sent out on loan to one of the three new teams, to gain some more experience.

i can understand why Hughton is trying to convert Howson into a DM.

He''s trying to get our pirlo, a player who can pass, has the potential to control a game and tackle.

Arguably, the most important player in a 4231 is the playmaking DM. I.e the Alonso, Xavi (to a lesser degree), Pirlo.

Whilst they''re all on a different level, Hughton I believe is trying to turn Howson into that player. Well that''s my take, until we find that playmaker in DM then the 4231 is always going to struggle.

Was fairly impressed with Bridcutt tonight.

Passed the ball around well, he keeps things ticking over, but can also spread it around. Has good mobility as well, and seems to be in the right place at the right time defensively (I remember one brilliant block first half especially)

Only 23 as well I think, would be worth a shot I think

If Brighton fail to take the step up this season I''m sure somebody will take a chance on the guy. Seemingly has what it takes to play in the prem and he will only improve with top level experience. He has attributes our starting 11s have been missing so yes, I would like to see him in a Norwich shirt.

Could have just been paper talk but I seem to recall the price tag of 5+ mill being thrown about. I guess if he does become a premier league regular that fee would be justified.

[quote user="Baracouda"]I can understand why Hughton is trying to convert Howson into a DM...He''s trying to get our Pirlo, a player who can pass, has the potential to control a game and tackle.[/quote]We already had that to a lesser extent with David Fox, who for some obscure reason has now been completely written off and dismissed as a good player by a large part of our fanbase, in no small part thanks to Hughton, for not giving him the time of day since he arrived...

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Baracouda"]I can understand why Hughton is trying to convert Howson into a DM...He''s trying to get our Pirlo, a player who can pass, has the potential to control a game and tackle.[/quote]We already had that to a lesser extent with David Fox, who for some obscure reason has now been completely written off and dismissed as a good player by a large part of our fanbase, in no small part thanks to Hughton, for not giving him the time of day since he arrived...[/quote]

I''ve always thought he was the best distributer of the ball we have, presumably not defensive enough for Hughton, he must be a pretty unhappy bunny!

[quote user="Herman "]"can u sit down please"Hughton would soon make him look ave. just ike he has done with howson.

Your anti Hughton stance really has made you blinkered. Howson was average under Lambert as well. Infact the last few games he has started to improve.[/quote]

Don''t you remember Howson at the end of last season? Everton & Arsenal, in particular. He was immense.

People were even saying if he keeps it up there''s every chance of an England call up.

He''s a box to box midfielder that has been told to sit. His energy levels are second to none.

He hasn''t got the attributes to sit. He''s not a Fox type passer nor a tackler like Tettey.

As someone that used to play midfield I can tell you, it''s a round peg in a square hole.

Like Indy said, we have our Xavi type player already here. But he''s been banished.

Liam Bridcutt used to be on the books of Chelsea and was very successful in their youth side along with players a year below such as Ryan Bertrand. Typically a Defensive midfielder he has worked to develop the attacking side of his play (Basically what we wish Johnson could do). He has improved in his support play as well albeit he still doesn''t probe massively into the opponents final third. That said he doesn''t necessarily need to as he still offers support in the right areas and has players ahead of him that put in the leg work to create space for him. Make his job as a distributor much easier and when defending on the counter allows him to drop back quickly without having compromised his position too much.He is better than Johnson, not outstanding but he has potential and a good pedigree as opposed to our current pedigree chum.

Id also like to add that his range of passing is superb which makes his attacking play and metronomic fashion even more effective. that and at 23 he will run forever like an old nissan.