Sign in to follow this  
Daniel Brigham

Does anyone miss the Championship?

Well, no you probably don''t. But it''s probably worth asking in case we don''t beat West Brom. Here''s my latest column for the Pink''un, asking that question and remembering Darren Eadie and Gheorghe Hagi.

Please excuse the self-indulgent first few paragraphs: http://tinyurl.com/cyzspbw

I enjoyed the championship especially the away days and when we eventually do go down, i''ll embrace it once more but i''m not ready yet.

I''d like at least one season of multi million pound players coming to us and my mates here up north actually interested in talking to me about Norwich City without taking the pi$$.

I''d save £600 a year on my sky subscription though :-)

What a world cup that was - Hagi an absolute hero of mine.

Great era - Stoichkov and Valderama too - stylish footballers indeed.

It was great wasn''t it Zippers. Something about not having the pressure of supporting England seemed to make it a bit more special, although being 12 probably helped ...

[quote user="I am a Banana"]

Yes!

Championship < Premiership

[/quote]

You miss the Championship but say the Premiership is better? How do you cope with all these idiots Banana?

Nope not for a second, we are in the league where we can start to bring in really exciting and potentially world class players like RVW, and get to see world class players of the opposition grace the pitch at Carrow Road. Its also the place to be if we want to see the Stadium expand, the Academy grow and the City''s profile raise. I know that the point is more football based, but I just think its the grass is always greener, I dont think anyone would be that chuffed at losing 1-0 in a dull game at Doncaster away on a Tuesday night, when we are dreaming about the times we beat Man U and Arsenal at home! All I can say is try and remember the exact feeling you had when Jackson scored against Portsmouth and we were going up...

You''re right Birchfest. Awesome feeling - funny how wildly different the fortunes of both clubs have been since that day.

Another great feeling is that Darren Eadie retweeted my column, which may just be the best thing that''s ever happened to me!

[quote user="I am a Banana"]

Yes!

Championship < Premiership

[/quote]Banana''s IQ < Number of red balloons in the song by Nena

You only miss the Championship if you have a short memory & can only remember the good times - winning most of the games, beating the Scum twice & getting promoted. On the other hand, if you can remember the bad times, the year we got relegated to League One and when we got beat by some of the worst Clubs in the Country, then you won''t miss it at all. In fact you''ll know that it''s far worse being near the bottom of the Championship than it is being near the bottom of the PL.Most people who''ll say that they miss it only say that because they think that if we get relegated we''ll beat everyone, waltz to the title & go straight back up again. The fact is that we probably won''t.As for me, I''ll be quite happy "missing" the Championship for a good few years yet.

I enjoyed League 1, some of the away games were great, makes you appreciate Prem grounds though.

Overall the football supporter experience was probably better in the lower leagues.

Very good post MP. I''m not normally in agreement with you but that one made me think. The long years of bad football,losing to poor opposition etc. sort of got clouded by the great last year we were there.

I don''t miss the championship and I don''t miss league 1.     But I miss that feeling that we are challenging to win something.   Challenging for promotion, winning more games than drawing or losing - is much better than trying to steer clear of a bottom three in a league.     

But!  Having said that there is something in hoping we can consolidate in the top league and develop as a club into a top half premiership side.  I know that isn''t going to be easy - but am prepared to put up with a season or two of scraping in the league  to see if we can progress and show genuine development.   So its not a matter of missing anything from a particular league, but more missing that feeling of achieving.   At the moment  a real achievement is staying in this division - and we should all be satisfied with that, but if it carries on season after season just scraping in and no real development, I would rather go back and gain some momentum again from a lower level.   It worked once and boy, what a ride that was.

Agree with you 100% L.D.C there is alot more excitement in challenging to win something than the gut churning last few games fighting relegation. But hey we all like the EPL ...dont we ?

Good post. Maybe its a win/win. We all want all the benefits of the Prem, but being a bigger fish in the Championship and challenging for things week in, week out isn''t all that bad, either.

As somebody who due to geography cant go to games, being in the Premiership has a massive impact on me personally as I can watch every game via feeds. Drop to the championship and that stops. If we get relegated Im back to being a teletext supporter and having to wait til midnight to see a 10 second clip of the goals.

Frustrating though this season has been, its still been more entertaining than watching a scoreline for 90 minutes.