Sign in to follow this  
Waveney Canary

Malky for Everton

Malky was my first choice to replace Lambo. He''s done a very impressive job at both Watford and Cardiff - particularly considering he had no squad when he took over at Cardiff. He would be a good choice for Everton but would rather he came home!

[quote user="Kingston Yellow"]Malky was my first choice to replace Lambo. He''s done a very impressive job at both Watford and Cardiff - particularly considering he had no squad when he took over at Cardiff. He would be a good choice for Everton but would rather he came home![/quote]

I wanted Malky to replace Lambert as well. Many forum members took the P**S at this suggestion as well as those who nominated Steve Bruce, but we all know who led their teams to promotion this season. I would still love to see Malky here , his appointment just seems right for us but at this time in his career, we are probably beneath him, Malky is a winner.

I wonder if Lambert had stayed here whether he would be in line for the Everton job ?,

"Devil''s Advocate." - "Kingston Yellow" said "Malky was my first choice to replace Lambo. He''s done a very impressive job at both Watford and Cardiff - particularly considering he had no squad when he took over at Cardiff. He would be a good choice for Everton but would rather he came home!"

"I wanted Malky to replace Lambert as well. Many forum members took the P**S at this suggestion as well as those who nominated Steve Bruce, but we all know who led their teams to promotion this season. I would still love to see Malky here , his appointment just seems right for us but at this time in his career, we are probably beneath him, Malky is a winner.

I wonder if Lambert had stayed here whether he would be in line for the Everton job ?"

If Lambert had stayed here we would have been relegated a long while ago ........... and Lambert would, therefore, not be in line for the Everton job!

Just announced on Talksport that Cardiff have now been approached so that Everton can speak to Malky about the manager''s job !!

[quote user="Devils Advocate."][quote user="Kingston Yellow"]Malky was my first choice to replace Lambo. He''s done a very impressive job at both Watford and Cardiff - particularly considering he had no squad when he took over at Cardiff. He would be a good choice for Everton but would rather he came home![/quote] I wanted Malky to replace Lambert as well. Many forum members took the P**S at this suggestion as well as those who nominated Steve Bruce, but we all know who led their teams to promotion this season. I would still love to see Malky here , his appointment just seems right for us but at this time in his career, we are probably beneath him, Malky is a winner. I wonder if Lambert had stayed here whether he would be in line for the Everton job ?,[/quote]

Both good managers. But Hughton''s record in the Champs is probably as good if not better than either of them. All managers are a risk and all have clubs they fit better than others. Whoever replaced Lambert here was always going to have a tough job.

I hope we persevere with Hughton and that he comes good. The alternative doesn''t bear thinking of. I remember when replacements were continually suggested for Worthy. The most popular two were Tilson and Newell. Who??? (I hear you ask!)

what Yellow Wall said... I don''t think we would of survived with the inexperienced players he brought in to villa (not to mention, our budget was a little less than villas, so either remove one or two of villas current squad, or replace them with lower caliber.)

[quote user="Devils Advocate."]

I wanted Malky to replace Lambert as well. Many forum members took the P**S at this suggestion as well as those who nominated Steve Bruce, but we all know who led their teams to promotion this season. I would still love to see Malky here , his appointment just seems right for us but at this time in his career, we are probably beneath him, Malky is a winner.

I wonder if Lambert had stayed here whether he would be in line for the Everton job ?,[/quote]Yeah but, taking your team to promotion doesn''t guarantee success as a

PL manager. Worthy, for instance, took us up from the Championship but

then took us straight back down again. Holloway did the same for

Blackpool. Doubtless there are other examples in the recent past too.

The opinion poll before the appointment showed most people favoured Hughton. I never understood why. What was it about Hughton that made people think he was the outstanding candidate? I favoured Mackay because of his track record of success, his links to Norwich and the fact he was young and hungry (like many of our players so more likely to carry on the legacy). In future we''re probably going to see him as the one that got away.

"It will be Gunn all over again...!" some on here said of Malky as his team were a penalty kick away from winning the league cup..He''s won the championship now.. so thats a cup final and a league title in 2 seasons... Like Gunn... all over again.... ;)

It isn''t possible to guarantee success when appointing a manager other wise there wouldn''t be a fraction of the managerial casualties that occur every season. At the moment Malky''s star is shining high, who knows where he''ll be by Christmas let alone 12 months time. However, he has something about him that inspires confidence and let''s be honest he had it when he was here as a player.He should not have been dispensed with when we first went up to the Premier league, I know that his playing career was coming to an end, maybe he could have been used to coach the Youth team or something. Who knows, he might have been our boss now.!

It is a shame that Bryan Gunn''s appointment went so badly wrong. Not just for the relegation to Div One, it seems to count against any former player getting the nod and probably cost Malky the chance here. Maybe things might be different for Neil Adams ?

Malky has done a good job with Watford, and then with Cardiff. The step up to a top six side would be a bit of a leap, but they''ve got a good enough side to survive even if he does have a tough start to Premier League management. The only problem, like Moyes suffered, is lack of funds to buy new players over the years

[quote user="AJ"]Malky has done a good job with Watford, and then with Cardiff. The step up to a top six side would be a bit of a leap, but they''ve got a good enough side to survive even if he does have a tough start to Premier League management. The only problem, like Moyes suffered, is lack of funds to buy new players over the years[/quote]

He will have a much greater chance of success with Everton than he would have with Cardiff next season, that''s for sure.  

Very true Paul, but with Falliani, Baines and a few others rumoured to be leaving in the summer, it could be an interesting tranistional period for Everton

[quote user="AJ"]Very true Paul, but with Falliani, Baines and a few others rumoured to be leaving in the summer, it could be an interesting tranistional period for Everton[/quote]

That''s very true, but he will still have the basis of a very good squad at Everton as opposed to a much weaker Cardiff squad.  I hope he takes the Everton job for the sake of his career as Kenwright is extremely loyal to his managers. .

Malky is made for the Everton job, he even has the right accent, I wouldn''t be at all surprised if he went.

I have a feeling that Everton would be looking for a "big name" signing, and with Moyes saying he "will help" with his replacement, then I doubt that Malky would be the preferred choice. One could see Laudrup being the right fit for Everton.

As a side issue, I note with interest that PL''s name doesn''t appear in the latest odds.....

[quote user="Devils Advocate."]It isn''t possible to guarantee success when appointing a manager other wise there wouldn''t be a fraction of the managerial casualties that occur every season. [/quote]

Exactly. Look at Martin O''neill at Sunderland. He''s a good manager but didn''t cut it there

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Devils Advocate."][quote user="Kingston Yellow"]Malky was my first choice to replace Lambo. He''s done a very impressive job at both Watford and Cardiff - particularly considering he had no squad when he took over at Cardiff. He would be a good choice for Everton but would rather he came home![/quote] I wanted Malky to replace Lambert as well. Many forum members took the P**S at this suggestion as well as those who nominated Steve Bruce, but we all know who led their teams to promotion this season. I would still love to see Malky here , his appointment just seems right for us but at this time in his career, we are probably beneath him, Malky is a winner. I wonder if Lambert had stayed here whether he would be in line for the Everton job ?,[/quote]

Both good managers. But Hughton''s record in the Champs is probably as good if not better than either of them. All managers are a risk and all have clubs they fit better than others. Whoever replaced Lambert here was always going to have a tough job.

I hope we persevere with Hughton and that he comes good. The alternative doesn''t bear thinking of. I remember when replacements were continually suggested for Worthy. The most popular two were Tilson and Newell. Who??? (I hear you ask!)

[/quote]

I agree with all your points. Hughton''s Champ record is excellent and was impressed with what he did at Newcastle and Brum. Just fancied Malky from the moment Lambert left.

The job he did with Watford (who had absolutely no money at the time) was extremely impressive. Then moving onto Cardiff and picking up the pieces of a squad (if memory serves me correctly) of about 7 pros, then signing a dozen or more new players, blending the squad and then keeping them in contention all season demonstrated to me that he has what it takes to be a top manager. Add to that his cult status at CR and I felt he was the outstanding candidate.

All that said, I''m behind Hughton for the time being. I think the job''s got away from him in the second half of the season and if he''s got any sense, he''ll have a long hard look at his back room team in the close season. But I''d give him until Christmas whatever division we''re in. Well, unless we could tempt Malky in the summer of course, which I''m sure we couldn''t!

It is interesting that Lambert is no longer mentioned when manager jobs appear yet he seemed linked with every job going when City boss.How the mighty fall!