Sign in to follow this  
CanaryNewbee

EXCLUSIVE: Swansea boss Laudrup poised to sign £4m Johnson from Norwich

When I have watched them play at the same time, Tetty''s passing seems to be of a lot less quality than Johnsons, that is just a personal observation.

Stats can be read how you want them to be read, the reason Swansea and Barcelona etc have such good passing rates is because they f**k around so much passing the ball between defence and midfield.

Either way, neither Tettey or Johnson are exceptional passers of the ball, it is clear they need a playmaker playing alongside them, Tettey and Johnson should be competing for one place in the team.

I agree with that Ellis, and for me it''s a very close call which one. I read the stats that Indy put up and their hard to deny, my impression is that early on in his career here Tetty''s passing was pretty poor but that he improved the more he played.

It''s a shame we haven''t seen him bursting forward and having a shot, think he scored a great one in a pre season friendly, or early round cup game!

[quote user="chicken"]Its also nice that rather than disprove what I am saying you are just dismissing it.[/quote]That''s because I don''t need to disprove what you''re saying because you have no hard evidence to back up your opinion, whereas in fact the onus is on you to disprove how the stats I''ve provided are incorrect and back up your own assertion with evidence and justification.I could say that I thought Frank Sinclair was the epitome of defending and the best player who''s ever played the game in a back line, but without any evidence or justification it purely becomes an opinion (and a rather silly one as well).However, if I could provide clear evidence that he tackled more effectively than his peers, made more clearances, more interceptions, won more offside decisions, had less talented players around him than they did and played against the very best on a regular basis etc - at that point I''d have more than a simple opinion, I''d have a fact based assertion that would require a greater amount of evidence of a contradictory nature to my own evidence in order to disprove it.I''ve provided the evidence to back up my assertion, it''s now up to you to disprove this with your own (if you can or even want to try).PS, trying to nitpick over terms like Pass Accuracy/Completion isn''t going to score you any points, but to clarify, I am referring to pass completion - which in itself is evidence of pass accuracy even if it''s not fully the same thing (unless you now want to claim that a 10% difference in these stats is because players are willing to run to get all of Tettey''s wayward passes to ensure a completion, but won''t do the same for Johnson...)

Seems a food deal to me.

Johnson is a whole-hearted and very committed member of the squad. He is brave in tackling and always very fit.

What doesn''t appear in my description is ability to pass and shoot. Gaining the ball by tackling is great, if you can then go on to create something, but to pass to opponents or you own team members when they are heavily marked is not good. His shooting is powerful but inaccurate and only very rarely does a keeper need to take action.

I am surprised that Laudrup wants him, but I think that with the proceeds of the transfer plus a few million more we could obtain a complete and international quality midfielder, who can tackle, pass constructively and shoot with accuracy.

[quote user="Vanwink"]I agree with that Ellis, and for me it''s a very close call which one. I read the stats that Indy put up and their hard to deny, my impression is that early on in his career here Tetty''s passing was pretty poor but that he improved the more he played. It''s a shame we haven''t seen him bursting forward and having a shot, think he scored a great one in a pre season friendly, or early round cup game![/quote]

Yes, early on didn''t he score one great shot and soon after had a second deflected in?  A real pity he hasn''t done that recently.

Where on Earth did this ''exclusive'' come from? McNally seems to have denied all knowledge.

Really doesn''t make any sense to me at all; Swanselona is the last club I''d expect him to go to.

Is it his agent?

Why?

I''m baffled.

if Swanse, or anyone, wants him, then we should definitely sell. it is an indictment of our season that a player like Johnson, great in some aspects, but severely lacking in others, should be in the running for POS. he should be sold and an all round DM purchased so that we need only play 1 DM, at least in home matches, next season. posters are bemoaning CHs lack of creativity, well this is due, in no small part, to playing two DMs, neither of whom can make a decent attacking pass. or, at least, very rarely.

Says at the end of the article that he is in the last year of his contract. Pretty sure he signed a new long term one in January...

chicken wrote the following post at: Its also nice that rather than disprove what I am saying you are just dismissing it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

In the end Johnson does try slightly more ambitious passes, but is not very good at it. Howson does not, has a higher accuracy, but still is listed as a poor passer of the football. He just has no range. Tettey is generally quite good at 5 yard passes, but when he does mess it up, it is often in quite ridiculous fashion.

None of them excel at passing. And what you say is quite true, we play so deep that often the passing options are not there in the first place. This is just compounded by the poor passing ability of these three in the central midfield position.

It''s Character Forming wrote the following post at 10/05/2013 9:08 AM: Yes, early on didn''t he score one great shot and soon after had a second deflected in?  A real pity he hasn''t done that recently.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When Tetty first arrived he seemed to burst forward quite often... Someone put a stamp on that pretty quick sharp. Nowadays he plays deeper than Johnson.

Bj has played well in a poor team. We need two defensive minded players in the squad with a youngster coming up thro the team. Adeyemi being that one. I Thought tettey was that midfielder we needed and with better players around him will be a very good players, passing to players that actually move to be open. I believe he will be the starter next season and we may have another starter, bridcutt is speculated but if we stay up then I expect a better player. We will be looking at another high quality striker, with holt and becchio as back up.

We need wide players and a forward thinking central midfielder, maybe another as if injuries come in we will have this squad trying to keep us up. I think we have seen this season they have been very limited and still have a job to do.

Be an interesting summer.

Indy_Bones: "That''s because I don''t need to disprove what you''re saying because you have no hard evidence to back up your opinion, whereas in fact the onus is on you to disprove how the stats I''ve provided are incorrect and back up your own assertion with evidence and justification."

I''d like to point out that I have backed up my opinion with hard evidence because my opinion is that you are mis-interpreting the statistics you say point only to one thing - when they don''t. And you continuously state that they do.

So I shall try and simplify things. Lets call Johnson ''player A''.

You are arguing that player A''s pass completion rate is poor which means his passing is poor.

I have argued that pass completion is not reliant upon one player, in this case player A.

For a pass completion statistic you need to have player A pass to player B, or C, or D.

Passes can be made easier by the players player A is passing to. For example, movement off the ball from other players not necessarily trying to receive the ball but create space for others who do to move into.

A pass can also be made easier by the intelligence of the player wanting to receive the ball in anticipating the pass, dropping short or moving in a way that makes the chance of them receiving the ball more likely.

Back to real life players.

So for example, you would expect any midfielder in a team that had Jackson and perhaps Morison up front together, to have a lower pass completion rate going forward, at the very least, than one with Holt and Hoolahan (for arguments sake).

I think this is why Howson has helped in recent games as his movement is probably better than either Johnson or Tettey whose instincts are more in holding/defensive role.

Like I said before you then have to take into account things like what the player has been asked to do and the tactics of the opposition.

In some games they might identify Johnson as a weak link and know that more pressure on him may result in him giving the ball away more often. Or simply that they are pressing across our midfield more, or in some games, they may play with five in midfield. With less time and space for our midfield to pass.

Finally, if Johnson has played more games, there is more chance of him having an ''off day'', for example, one game where his passing was particularly waywood and as a result brings down his averages - which is what the stats you provided were.

All I was pointing out was it was an indicator, a suggestion. Where as you are throwing it out there as a fact which cannot be disputed.

Quite clearly it can be.