Sign in to follow this  
can u sit down please

Expectations....

When worthy took over we expected us to stay up,5yrs on its a completely different story so fair play tto him.

But what are your expectations of us this yr?? The title or play offs?

Im going for a title!

OTBC

CUSDP

IMO we are going to have to strengthen a lot before the start of the season.  I don''t think our squad is nearly good enough at the moment to challenge for the title.  If Worthy does his magic and gets the players in though, there is no reason why we can''t look at the top two. 

As I''ve said on many occasions, I hope Greeno and Damo leave so Nige gets the cash

Can''t say for sure until I know who will be playing in the team. Even so, the play-offs are the least we should expect next season.

[quote]When worthy took over we expected us to stay up,5yrs on its a completely different story so fair play tto him. But what are your expectations of us this yr?? The title or play offs? Im going for a t...[/quote]

I expect, ney, demand, the Championship title.

If this club is serious about its aspirations and can retain Hucks, Leo and Ashton, then why the hell not!.

With A few decent signing''s in the defensive positions, Helveg and Safri staying, and Flem and Holt being shifted out, then we are certainly more than a match for anybody in this Micky Mouse division.

If we don''t have this league sown up by Christmas, then worthless Worthy should walk, or be slung out for good!.

If we can acquire a few (4 or 5) good players at least, then we must be in with a shout. If the end result is a bunch of "bargain" players, hurried, panic purchases like last year, then I fear that we might not even make the play-offs.If the strikers remain fit, we should have little problem in scoring goals, but just imagine a situation if for a few games Ashton and/or Leon was injured...There is little cover.Defensively, including the midfield, we must have new blood. In the Championship we shall not play against hot shots like those in the season just finished, but there are some around we must block and tackle, and not back off. It''s unlikely that we shall concede as many goals as in the top flight, but the ship has to be steadied. This means we need a good central defender and right back, and one or two central midfielders and a wide right man. If we can fill these with quality, and have some good players in reserve, then why not promotion!

to be honest, aslong as we get promoted i dont mind.

title would be nice, but really going up would just be great

[quote]IMO we are going to have to strengthen a lot before the start of the season. I don''t think our squad is nearly good enough at the moment to challenge for the title. If Worthy does his magic and gets...[/quote]

Couldnt agree more.With the right players brought in, i think we should be hoping for top 4.

I''ll wait and see what sort of squad we have by august, I believe with some quality in the middle and at the back we can go up automatically again. The goals are there and that at least get''s you into the play-offs in most seasons.

Whatever happens Worthy will need to get the right players now as the option of bringing them in a month or so down the line isn''t on offer this time

We need to sign 6 players minimum to even consider winning the league. If we can sign 6 decent players, then I expect a good shot at automatic promotion.

Let''s not assume that because we''re Norwich City that we''re destined for promotion again...we need to get the right players in; if we don''t then we will struggle.

I think we are taking the best attitude. Doncaster has already said that togetherness is the key and i agree with this. We havnt said "we will win the league" just like soton and palace have. I think the club know its a big challenge and i just hope the will do something about it. ie sign quality players.

Our current side could look like

Green

Helveg   Charlie   Shacks  Drury

Jonson   Safri    Francis   Huckerby

Leon     Ashton

That is the core of the team that competed so well in the prem over 6 of the last 7 games in the premiership, against sides that are better than the vast majority of the championship teams.  why wouldnt THIS SAME TEAM be competing for the championship?

If we lose green we have good cover, if Damo leaves (and we wont be disappointed if he does) we need a replacement, if Helveg leaves we need two right backs,  we need a couple of central midfielders and if sven leaves I would want a fourth striker (some one young as fourth choice).   None of these are irreplaceable or fatal to promotion prospects. 

We have cover for most positions but could do with better across the piece, especially across the midfield. A bigger challenege may be how to fit hux into the side as him on the left clearly leaves us over exposed - but that question may wait for another year. 

We have a great championship team; one that is far stronger than the one we had in Dec 2003.  If that team can get promoted then so can this one.  Sure we need some strengthening but that is more natural wastage than

What are my expectations?  I hope for the title, want promotion and expect a play off place.   Anything less is a failure on the managements part.   None of this negativity please, we are a great team, and no competitive team has bought anyone that we should be worried about.

OTBC 

[quote]Our current side could look like Green Helveg Charlie Shacks Drury Jonson Safri Francis Huckerby Leon Ashton That is the core of the team that competed so well in the p...[/quote]

Spot on!

Words of caution: Promotion is earnt, not a right... [Lets remember the arrogance of WHU supporters of their ''right to be in the Premiership''] 
I''d like to see us go up as Champions just as much as the next person, but remember that the season is a long hard slog. We''re gonna be regarded as one of the teams now that other teams wanna beat as we''ve just come down from the Premiership...
Mentally the players need to be tuned in to battling and slogging away from game one through to game forty-six...
If the team are assembled as we know it needs to be and the players brought it gel with those currently contracted, we''ll be in a very good shape to go up as Champions, I''m just a tad wary of likely expectancy regarding promotion - we have to go out there and earn it like we did the season before last...
Then and only then will WE, the greatest fans in England, be able to enjoy scenes akin to those a year ago...

NB: apologies in advance for the rant-like nature of my posting, have decided to err on the side of cautious optimism as regards predicting the forthcoming season... 
No offence meant to anyone who''s posted already or posts after this...

This is the most crucial season in the club''s recent history. Win promotion and we might keep hold of Ashton (and Green???) for another season, and his goals might give us a fighting chance of staying in the Premiership. Fail to win promotion and I think the era of this current team is over, rebuilding will be necessary and we could be in for another long stint in the fizzy.

It''s going to be a really tough season. Most teams at FCR will put 10 behind the ball and there will be some frustrating 0-0s. There are lots of teams well placed for a challenge. We know that getting out of the league (in the right direction) is difficult - we did it in 03-04 because we played really well, we got on a roll and we were very lucky with injuries.

With some decent signings, we should rightly expect to finish in the top six, but those expecting us to waltz to promotion, well, I think you''re underestimating the other teams, and, actually, underestimating what an achievement it was to win the league last time round. Whether we end up as champions or miss out on the play-offs, it''s going to be a long, unglamorous slog, and the fans need to be as ready for that as the players. We can do it, but we shouldn''t expect it to be easy. And please, let''s not be one of these arrogant relegated sides who think they''re still Premier League. Let''s earn our right to be back there.

The other ingredient we will need to successfully bounce back up again is luck. We had it to win the championship, we had it in the last few games in the Premiership, we will need it next season. If we are unlucky, especially regarding injury to key players, we will struggle for promotion in what is a hugely competitive league.

We should be expecting to do well, its up to Worthy to ensure we have a stronger squad to start the next season than the one which finished the last (a reasonable expectation given our ''build for the future'' strategy and our ''prudence with ambition'' spending) and if he does this we will be very strong in the Championship.

We have to do it this season to keep the best of the squad together, I don''t see Ashton for example giving us two seasons in the Championship...

ZLF - why do you think we need another young striker if Svensson leaves? Surely we have two at the club already in Hendo and Jarvis?

I would much prefer it if Worthy focusses on the other positions (esp midfield). Replacement/competition for Francis will be vital, whereas even without Svenny we will have Ashton, Leon, Hendo and Jarvis as out and out strikers with Hucks, Jonsson and Docherty who could fill in (I shudder as I type Docherty''s name as a striker choice though admittedly!).

This season I would like to see Hendo and Jarvis get their chance to see if they will make it at Norwich or not. Both are England youth goal scorers, if they won''t make it at Norwich lets find out sooner rather than later so they can have a chance elsewhere (and get them off our wage bill).

[quote]ZLF - why do you think we need another young striker if Svensson leaves? Surely we have two at the club already in Hendo and Jarvis? I would much prefer it if Worthy focusses on the other positions (...[/quote]

In order of priority I would say we need to buy central midfielders, a right back and then a striker only if sven leaves so I do agree with you Putney on what is most urgent.

However if Sven leaves we are left with worthys strikers of Ashton, Leon, Jarvis and Hendo (ignoring my own hux is a strikler rantings!).  To be honest as a foursome that simply does not do it for me. If either of the lead pair get injured our strikeforce goes from one of the strongets to average at best -  Hendo is not strong enough to take a lead role and for some reason Ryan (who does seem to have all the potential needed) has never quite had his chance - hopefully he is a shacks waiting to happen! 

What Ryan does not need is to be thrown into games in a must score situation - that is too much pressure on a player still in his teens.  As such a 3rd striker would be needed to keep our promotion puh on track.

I agree with the other poster on the attitude thing though - all the potential in the world will not get us promoted if we do not approach games in the right manner - but I am relying on Worthy keeping his staffs feet on the ground.

OTBC

[quote]Our current side could look like Green Helveg Charlie Shacks Drury Jonson Safri Francis Huckerby Leon Ashton That is the core of the team that competed so well in the p...[/quote]

When you out it on paper like that ZLF that team looks bloody good; a fast solid back 4, tough tackling midfield (with Hucks casuing mayhem) and an awesome strike force.  However, my only concern is players we have outside that X1.  Flem, Doc, Brennan, Holt and (at the moment) Sven.  Barely enough to fill the bench!  If we can add to the team we have with some good first div players, we''ll stand a fabulous chance

[quote]IMO we are going to have to strengthen a lot before the start of the season. I don''t think our squad is nearly good enough at the moment to challenge for the title. If Worthy does his magic and gets...[/quote]

You hope Greeno leaves are you really a norwich fan thats the most idiotic statement ive read on here for some time i suppose its ashton next on your wish list to leave.

[quote]You hope Greeno leaves are you really a norwich fan thats the most idiotic statement ive read on here for some time i suppose its ashton next on your wish list to leave.[/quote]

I think DD was thinking about what is best for both club, country and player... without going over the same ground again, Greeno needs to be in the Prem in order to be pushing for a place in the England line-up next summer, and our country needs that too!

If he and Damo do leave, we''re looking to inherit around £5 million to invest in new players of great quality, not just scraping around for free transfers, etc.

I''m sure DD, along with us all, would prefer that it wasn''t the case and that we could hang onto Green, but unfortunately those are the facts of the matter.  I''m sure, also, that no one is going to complain if he does stay, as we''ll then have one of the best young keepers in the country who has already shown that he can be superb at this level.

I''d love him to stay, but £3mil+, and an upwards move for the brilliant young keeper, is something to be pleased about, both for Greeno... club... and country...

(cue national anthem, wipes tear...)

[quote]You hope Greeno leaves are you really a norwich fan thats the most idiotic statement ive read on here for some time i suppose its ashton next on your wish list to leave.[/quote]

Pray, do you tell alLways travelling; why is that the most idiotic statement you have read for some time?  In my opinion it is not only wholely accurate but sensible also.  1)  Green wants to leave.  Fair play to him he''s a fantastic player.  2)  Doomcaster has said on many occasions that Nige will get 100% of the transfer funds he receives.  Now considering, we have lost a lot of players this summer how do you propose we replace them?  With frees and scraping a bit of money together?  If we do that we will have a weaker squad than the season we got promoted in the first place.

If Greeno and Damo left it would generate £5M (approx).  Add this to any existing money Worthy has and that is a lot of reddies for the first division.  It will buy you a lot.  We need (as Livermore confirmed yesterday) a right back, central defender, right midfielder, central midfielder and a striker.  We could buy a lot of quality with £5M.

Finally alLways travelling, if you bothered to read ANY of my posts regarding Ashton you would understand my position on the matter of his sale.  Go back through the last few pages and read. then ask me again if you wish

[quote]Pray, do you tell alLways travelling; why is that the most idiotic statement you have read for some time? In my opinion it is not only wholely accurate but sensible also. 1) Green wants to leave. ...[/quote]

Why start selling your best players Francis i couldnt care less about he only plays when he wants to that will be good money whatever we get for him. but Greeno to go is stupid so you want to sell him for say 3 million so how much do you think we should spend on replacing him. Or you want us to spend say the 3 million on say two or three players so what you end up with is an inexperienced goalie which in turn then gives you defensive problems straight away. And the other players brought in end up being run of the mill players so you now become a selling club again. Suppose the point ime trying to get accross is we need to keep quality not look to sell it.dont think i fancy reading any more of your posts after reading this one your obviously on another planet.Lets sell Greeno your aving a laugh.

[quote]Why start selling your best players Francis i couldnt care less about he only plays when he wants to that will be good money whatever we get for him. but Greeno to go is stupid so you want to sell him...[/quote]

Before I start my reply, can I just tell you alLways travelling that "ime" is actually I''m (short for "I am").  Anyway, now that we have English out the way...

Why should we keep players here who don''t want to be here and whom we can get damn good money for?  We wouldn''t have to spend a penny on replacing Green as we have 3 perfectly good goalkeepers at the club already- Gallacher, Ward and Lewis.  Who out of Ward or Gallacher would get the number one jersey is up to Nige.  He sees them everyday and knows their capabilities.  We don''t have to replace Green

Your third line is EXACTLY what I want us to do!  "spend say the 3 million on say two or three players".  Players like Jagielka, Sidwell, Gabiddon etc are all priced under £3M.  I''m not saying we could attract these players but it shows what you can pick up when you have a few million in your pocket.  We need to strengthen the defence and midfield and could do that easily with money from Green and Francis leaving.  How do you know we would buy "run of the mill players"?  Worthy''s transfer record is excellent and I''m sure he''d spend the money wisely 

[quote]Before I start my reply, can I just tell you alLways travelling that "ime" is actually I''m (short for "I am"). Anyway, now that we have English out the way... Why should we keep players here who don...[/quote]

Do you really think three  keepers you have mentioned will come anywhere near greens ability i dont think so.How much first team experiance have they and unless you watch a lot of reserve games you cant measure them against green. so your hoping they can fill his place. I will say again its quite a good rule in football you dont get rid of rolls and bentleys and try to replace with skodas and mopeds. I rate sidwell very highly you would be lucky to get him for the money mentioned let alone the others you have mentioned .What message will it also give to our other top players when we become the selling club again.You have to keep your top players golden rule in football. 

[quote]Do you really think three keepers you have mentioned will come anywhere near greens ability i dont think so.How much first team experiance have they and unless you watch a lot of reserve games you ca...[/quote]

I feel we are going round in circles on this matter alLways travelling so this will be my last comeback on this topic.  However let me say this; We will not get promoted next season purely on the performances of Green and Francis.  We will get promoted on the defence being fast, strong and alert, picking up players from set pieces and distributing well.  We will get promoted on a battling midfield which doesn''t just focus on one want away player.  A midfield with athleticism and quality running throughout it.  We will get promoted with goals from a quality strike force.  All these areas need reinforcement and back up.  Back up which, sadly, we don''t have at this present moment  We will get promoted as a team, not as individuals

Allways travelling: Can i just butt in on yours and DD''s love fest I think you''re in the wrong here. What''s the point of having a fantastic keeper, with a lack of quality in other positions? To have £5million on top of the budget worthy already has will provide him with one hell of a war chest.

Don''t get me wrong, Greeno has kept us in many a game over the last few seasons. However, our whole team has changed pretty much since Greeno started playing. Gallacher is a fantatic keeper. Ward is a proven keeper at this level. Why not have the trust in these goalkeepers, and build the team through quality acquisitions that will keep us up if we go up. Much as Greeno is an excellent keeper, one man does not make a team, and i''d much rather have the funds to strengthen, and strengthen in depth.

This is a tough league. We need quality, and we need cover. We don''t have that. Sell Greeno and Francis and we will have.

Take your Greeno goggles off mate and look at the bigger picture. Worthy can afford to ship him out. Who knows if we can afford not to?

I think we''ll do fine. Think about the team that went to Bradford on the first day of the season 2 years ago; the year we won the title.

Green

Briggs(!!!), Malky, Flem, Drury

Rivers(!!), Holt, Damo, Easton(!!)

Neillson(!!!!!), McVeigh(!)

We are so so much better and while we wont walk it, we have to be confident.

[quote]I feel we are going round in circles on this matter alLways travelling so this will be my last comeback on this topic. However let me say this; We will not get promoted next season purely on the perf...[/quote]

We will have to disagree on this one selling robert green will actually be a problem to the defence on its own when a team loses there reliable keeper players know what green can do and it breeds confidence straight away with him in the sticks.Do you honestly think worthy would want to keep green at the club i think the answer is a very big yes.i think the defence was poor last year but that was due to prem players who you cant give one chance to let alone two chances. In the championship this defence without shacks playing coped very well so with shacks added we have already strengthend it the only position is right back we need sorting if helveg goes.We need to ship francis out unless he promises to get his head right and stop being some prima donna if he stays we need two bring in at least one other midfielder.we are not far away with our squad providing we dont sell any.safri will be our key man next year in midfield.My final piece is worthy has been saying for the last two seasons he only wants to bring in quality and that costs lots so why get rid of quality. man utd and arsenal have lost big time this year down to two dodgy goalies i think you would agree chelsea won quite a bit with there top goalie. see what i mean.