Sign in to follow this  
Redders Right Foot

If wigan goes, would you take martinez?

I''ve seen a few norwich fans praying for him to come here if/when wigan go down.

so you''d replace a manager who kept us up, with one that never improved wigan since 2009. they have always been struggling and have somehow managed a surge at the end.

I really don''t see the hype about him, the style is attractive, yes, but the cohesion and the purchases are not so much.

he turned wigan into the Houdini act every year since arriving, and if it runs out this year, god knows how his new team would do next year in the prem.

No, not for me, I''d prefer Di Matteo if available. Martinez seems a good guy and his sides play the right way, but they have been in the PL for ages but have always struggled under him - if he is that good, with ££ to spend, why is this?

No. Similar reasons to Branston.

He''d probably keep us up. But he''s had years to develop Wigan, ok he''s got them to an FA Cup final, but thats looking more and more likely at the expense of a place in the PL.

I''d jump at the chance to sign Martinez, his teams play positive attacking football, but he just doesn''t have the quality at the back to climb the table. We already have a decent back 4/5. Give Martinez money for some quality midfielders/forwards and game on.

Ifhughton goes, and I personally hope he doesn''t, I would like someone like Ponchetti in rather than the tired formula of managers already in England.

I think he''s done a pretty good job with Wigan, to be fair. Can''t think too many managers would find it any easier to keep them in the Premier League this long.

You''ve got to take into account that he doesn''t get a lot of money to spend on players and they pretty much always end up losing their best players to bigger clubs.

If I remember correctly Martinez joined not longer after they lost 3 or 4 of their top players (including Valencia) so there was a fair bit of rebuilding to do and since then he''s had to see Rodallega and N''Zogbia leave as well as a couple of others. You don''t exactly see him being given millions and millions to improve the squad with established quality.

You also have to take into account all the good work he did for Swansea before he left them. Where they are now and the way they play owes a lot do what he did.

I''d be surprised if he doesn''t get a chance at a bigger club than Wigan (and he has already turned down Villa, of course).

[quote user="GJP"]

I think he''s done a pretty good job with Wigan, to be fair. Can''t think too many managers would find it any easier to keep them in the Premier League this long.

You''ve got to take into account that he doesn''t get a lot of money to spend on players and they pretty much always end up losing their best players to bigger clubs.

If I remember correctly Martinez joined not longer after they lost 3 or 4 of their top players (including Valencia) so there was a fair bit of rebuilding to do and since then he''s had to see Rodallega and N''Zogbia leave as well as a couple of others. You don''t exactly see him being given millions and millions to improve the squad with established quality.

You also have to take into account all the good work he did for Swansea before he left them. Where they are now and the way they play owes a lot do what he did.

I''d be surprised if he doesn''t get a chance at a bigger club than Wigan (and he has already turned down Villa, of course).

[/quote]

Oh and I meant to add that he also lost Victor Moses going into this season.

You also have to consider he''s had a lot of quality players during his tenure and still only scrapes survival every year.

We don''t have quality like; Valencia, Moses, N''Zogbia, Rodellega... two of whom play for two of the best sides now. If you benefit from having such quality, you have to make it pay. He simply hasnt. I am aware they didnt all play together but some of them did and there were others who are arguably reasonable players now at other premier league sides.

He''s saying this is his best squad ever, then surely the manager is wrong?

No thanks Martinez.

Whilst at times they''ve played decent football, I''d be concerned that Martinez has never really signed a top class player, and the few occasions they have shelled out ''decent'' money, the players haven''t really lived up the price tag, and it''s been yet another relegation dogfight again and again.5 million for Ramis, 6.5 million for Boselli, 2 million for Jason Scotland and the same price for Franco Di Santo. So already you''ve got three failed strikers and an overpriced defender in the mix, never mind some of the other ''dubious'' choices.Compare this to Hughton''s signings, and I think they''ve been much better value for money, if only the bloody football was any good!I think we can do better than Martinez tbh.

Martinez is a talented manager and I would have him here, ahead of nearly all suggestions so far

His record is good and works well on a tight budget with season after season of losing key players, two of his key players this season come from Scotland and not the big two - how many prem teams buy cheaply from there?

If plays attractive football and is innovative. If defensively naive.

It''s a mute point though as we won''t be sacking hughton

I''d love to see him here, his teams do play attractive football, he did really well at Swansea and has kept Wigan up for years longer than anyone had expected.

As has been said he is innovative, three at the back for example, I would really love to see him here.

[quote user="flying high up in the sky"]No. Last time I checked we still had a manager who is doing the job asked of him.[/quote]Can you get us a copy of the brief that says: "Your job is to play dogs**t football, whilst sucking all the positivity and self-confidence out of the squad and teetering on the edge of relegation" Because if that''s the task he was asked to do, then I''ll give him full credit for acheiving it.However I find that highly unlikely, and would have expected a much more positive brief which indicated our desire to improve as a team, both in league position, squad depth and quality of football, and on that basis he clearly isn''t doing that good a job...

Indy - However I find that highly unlikely, and would have expected a much more positive brief which indicated our desire to improve as a team, both in league position, squad depth and quality of football, and on that basis he clearly isn''t doing that good a job...

You would expect us to improve in league position - but almost everyone accept that his brief was survival this season. Why was that? Simply put, the writing was on the wall after a poor end to last season. It surely would have been logical for the club, as you, to expect an improved position but such was the task on hand and the squad of players he had to work with that everyone, especially the previous manager (and that is why he left) knew that it would be extremely difficult.

An improvement in the squad? I feel the squad has improved. Bassong, Turner, Whittaker, Tettey, Bunn but there is a limit to how much he had to spend and how many players he could get in. After looking at the squad he surely realised the deficiencies and set about doing something about it. He could have brought in better forwards, in which case we would have to score an awful lot of goals to make up for the tremendous amount we would have conceded with Ayala, Tierney, Bennett and Ward. The standard of play and the formation has been one of necessity. You must cut your cloth according to your means.

Don''t get me wrong, I am not a lover of negative football. But I see that as a means to an end. If the standard of football does not improve next season after he has had the chance to improve other parts of the team, by providing pace and creativity, then I will, at that time, also ask for him to be replaced.

But not now.

just for the record, i''d like to see hughton have his second season, and have it as his defining one.

Well said translator...I concur

[quote user="flying high up in the sky"]No. Last time I checked we still had a manager who is doing the job asked of him.[/quote]

Nurse! [:S]

dpj canary wrote the following post at 08/05/2013 9:23 AM:

flying high up in the sky wrote:

"No. Last time I checked we still had a manager who is doing the job asked of him.

"Nurse! "

So, what job was he asked to do then?

By the people who actually pay his wages, I mean.

No thanks, when was the last time Wigan werent relegation contenders? And he is about to have relegation on his CV, nice football... but look where it has gotten them, much better options out there without the tarnished record. Hard to justify sacking Hughton and replacing him with a relegated manager really...

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]He could have brought in better forwards, in which case we would have to score an awful lot of goals to make up for the tremendous amount we would have conceded with Ayala, Tierney, Bennett and Ward.[/quote]This is by no means a given YW.Whilst I would definitely take our current backline vs the one you suggest, I don''t think there''s a million miles between some of the options. Tierney has done very little wrong since signing, in fact he looked one of our better players last season until his injury, so it''s not like he''s suddenly become dire overnight.R.Bennett looked terrible last season, totally out of his depth, yet when called upon recently has been far more solid and is improving with every game he gets.Ayala is an unknown quantity really, at times he looked good but very inexperienced, and his lack of games on loan is somewhat telling. Clearly a player Lambert bought for the future and to develop, but would have been very risky this year as first choice.I agree ref Ward, but all this is assuming that if PL had stayed, he wouldn''t have signed any defenders which I think is unlikely.[quote]The standard of play and the formation has been one of necessity. You must cut your cloth according to your means.[/quote]I couldn''t disagree more.You feel we''ve improved the squad, (particularly in defence) so surely that meant that by tempering our attacking intent from the somewhat gung-ho approach under Lambert, to something slightly less ''all-out'', we could have still maintained a strong threat in the final third, but not conceded as many at the back due to our signings?Apparently not, what it meant to Hughton was that he should ignore the attacking abilities of anyone who plays past the halfway line, and focus instead of defence at the cost of all else.It was a complete shift from how we played under Lambert, a sweeping change that was unnecessary and unwelcome - both to the fans and the players in those attacking roles who''s effectiveness and ability was blunted by the choice, and in truth we haven''t conceded that many less than before, but our goal threat has disintegrated to the point of it being laughable. Quite how anyone can think this was a sensible trade-off is beyond me.[quote]Don''t get me wrong, I am not a lover of negative football. But I see that as a means to an end. If the standard of football does not improve next season after he has had the chance to improve other parts of the team, by providing pace and creativity, then I will, at that time, also ask for him to be replaced.

But not now.[/quote]That''s what Stoke fans have been saying for years...As soon as you start going down that path, you end up with a team of bruisers with limited technical ability, strong physical presence and no option but to play football in a certain way, and that way is absolutely NOT what we have come to expect from a Norwich side. We have ALWAYS been known for playing attractive, attacking football, and the very idea that we should move towards a Stoke-esque approach to the game just for expediency makes me feel physically sick tbh.This is potentially one of those moments where we''re the edge of an abyss, and making the wrong choice could result in a horrendous fall that would take a long time to recover from (much like when we got relegated in 95, and the resemblance to that season is HORRIBLY familiar).On all the evidence we''ve seen this season, Hughton is taking us down a path that very few want us to go down, and whilst there are some torchbearers still hoping that he will relent and take us back towards the light, the sad truth is that we are better to not take the risk that he doesn''t make the necessary changes now - rather than partway through next season when it could already be too late...

Let''s see if I understand this,

You want a manager who after a good few years of Premier League money can only just dodge relegation each year, maybe going down this year.

A manager who will run off to interviews with other clubs whenever they pop up.

Mmm

No thanks.

Hi, I''ve tried to stay away from this forum for a while after the huge dissapointment I euh we suffered at CR against Villa. Now all this talk about managers is futile isn''t it? We need to stay up! That''s my main concern, so I think this speculation is useless. To be truthfull I think Hughton has to be given the chance to build his own team if we stay up. I''m sure he won''t get sacked if he achieves that...

Martinez has always had one hand tied behind his back, having to sell his best players every season as Wigan cannot survive on their small ''gates''. He''s a far better manager than Hughton, having a successful attacking philosophy, and I would therefore definitely take him.  

In recent years to survive he has sold:     Victor Moses 9m, N''Zogbia, 9.5m, Valencia 16m, Lee Cattermole 6m.  

He also works on a small budget and unearths some great talent...... well suited for Norwich IMO !!!

...... and they are NOT relegated yet.

[quote user="birchfest"]No thanks, when was the last time Wigan werent relegation contenders? And he is about to have relegation on his CV, nice football... but look where it has gotten them, much better options out there without the tarnished record. Hard to justify sacking Hughton and replacing him with a relegated manager really...
[/quote]

Do you think any other managers would be able to march Wigan up the league table and keep them there for any length of time?

Unless a manager was given silly amounts of money to spend Wigan are always going to be a club fighting to avoid relegation in the Premier League.

As I mentioned earlier, he set Swansea on course to where they are now and he''s kept Wigan fighting in the Premier League while always losing his best players to bigger clubs.

I think it''s a far, far harder job than a lot of people realise (going by this thread) but I would think that people in football will regard Martinez as having done very well for Wigan.

But I remember when we were linked with Victor Moses when he was at Wigan, there were plenty of people on here who didn''t think he was good enough for us - though I''m sure many will have forgotten they said such things now he''s gone to Chelsea.

Indy_Bones - Yes I will agree it was a great shift from the way Lambert played but the end of last season we had already been found out. The writing was on the wall. In our last 14 games we lost 8 and drew 3. I firmly believe that Lambert, who has used us a stepping stone as he used Colchester, knew this as well and that was a major reason why he wanted out. The squad needed a massive overhaul which we could not afford, therefore a new manager had to adapt accordingly.

What really amazes me is that we finished 12th last season, comfortably clear of relegation, we change managers and instead of looking forward everyone realises that the aim this season is survival. Obviously I am not the only one who soon realised our players were not up to Premiership standards or requirements.

I cannot think supporters of many, if any, current Premiership clubs would be excited at the thought of getting any of our players (perhaps Ruddy and Bassong excepted). In fact I am not sure they would know many of our players.

Surely we cannot assume Hughton is Pullis in disguise. Just because Stoke have made these promises in the past does not mean we would do the same.

If, after bringing in some much needed pace and creativity, which I feel Hughton will do in the next window, we are still playing the same type of football my name will be there next to yours pushing for a new manager.

[quote user="Vanwink"]I''d love to see him here, his teams do play attractive football, he did really well at Swansea and has kept Wigan up for years longer than anyone had expected.

As has been said he is innovative, three at the back for example, I would really love to see him here.[/quote]

Any further thoughts on this, a good manager to take this club forward should we stay up and Wigan get relegated,