Sign in to follow this  
Dusk1983

Anyone else feel like a key historical moment is upon us?

Does that sound like hyperbole?

Is this the biggest game in our recent history, and possibly ever?

When we look back in years to come I just have the feeling that we''ll see it exactly like that, whether our mission proves successful or not.

Even compared to the obscene wealth of this league just 5 years ago, the financial benefits of being part of it will be absolutely unprecedented. Wth the new TV deal, this is the moment. Right now. Stay up and we really could set our club up for the next 10 years and even far beyond. No second chances.

OTBC

Not falling victim to ''second season syndrome'' was always going to be massive. If we manage to stay up and then if we spend more wisely than a majority of sides currently within10 points of us (and possibly Everton) I think our long term prospects are pretty good.

Yes it is a key moment anyone remember us beating crystal palace with a late dave stringer goal to keep us up reminds me of that game good luck city fingers crossed whew nerve racking or what !

I really have had it with this "second season syndrome" excuse being rolled out over and over again. What is it, some sort of virus that infects the squad over the summer and then appears as a pox once the season has began. It''s bollox, here we are fighting to avoid the third drop spot, both

Reading and QPR having been appalling there''s only one space left! We should never be in this position.

We are a side that finished 12 th last season, yes 12th!!!!!!!

Since then we have made considerable improvements to the squad in an area where we struggled and now look where we are. I think you need to be looking a bit closer to home for the reasons and stop blaming the "syndrome"

when you consider how long it took us to get bck into the top division after the last two relegations (1995,-9 seasons....2005-6 seasons) ,the latter of which was via League One, it really does display the enormity of tomorrow.

Instant returns for a relegated team back to the Premiership are very much the exeption raher than the norm and there would be so much distruption over the summer ,not least managerial , who knows which players would stay or go and if the nett result would leave us with anything resembling a promotion challenging team?

If we get nothing from the game, it will very likely mean a major blow, as I can''t see Wigan losing twice.

The ramifications will be immediate, - for instance losing RvW immediately or soon, possibly downgrading them Academy status, some players being cherry-picked by other clubs, no ground enlargement, major fall-off in finance - TV and crowd money, and so on.

On the other hand, although it will be difficult to build another side quickly in competition with some other relegated clubs, we would be more or less back on the original medium term plan which disappeared with the consecutive promotions. The plan would presumably be to rebuild for a tilt at the Premiership in, say, 4 or 5 years.

If we fail, it will be a major blow, but it does give an opportunity to build more securely.

The single most important Norwich City moment in my living memory was all about Bryan Gunn. 6th in the table in 1994/95, following of the the legendary achievements of the previous season, relegation could not have been further from anyones mind.

Gunny gets a freak injury getting his foot caught under him trying to make a save with his feet against Nottingham Forest and doesnt play again that season. Norwich have only 18 year old Andy Marshall to call on, who just wasnt ready. They then plummeted through the division and dropped out of the Premier League at just the wrong time.

That was a pivotal moment, not just for the season, but for the future of the club, as we missed out on all the money that would transform the game.

No injury to Gunn on that day, its difficult to imagine what might have happened over the next 10 years.

That single moment impacted on Norwich''s next 15 years. Im sure we''d still be a very different club today if that had never happened. (Might not have been a good thing, might have ended up like Bradford or Portsmouth)

This has a similar ring about it. If we stay up, possibly riding on us having the b*lls to attack West Brom, then we could establish ourselves as a Premier League team for the next 10 years.

Let it slip through our fingers (and thats exactly what it would be - only ourselves to blame), then we could find ourselves in the championship or lower for the next 10-15 years.

Definitely a pivotal moment, not just in a season but for the long term future of the club. Look at other teams like Forest and Leeds who never manage to climb back

Today is not the time for soundbites, but I feel the hand of history on our shoulders: Tony Blair.

Whilst I agree to a certain extent, we can also lose and stay up, or draw and stay up. Will be a pretty rubbish most important game in our history of we lose and still stay up...

Makes Wigans games more important...

Lose tomorrow and Hughton should resign/sacked by 5.15pm!

Courage is not having the strength to go on; it is going on when you don''t have the strength

- Theordore Roosevelt...

"and Smith must score""Herman "Today is not the time for soundbites, but I feel the hand of history on our shoulders: Tony Blair.

Tony Blair ? More of a Winston Churchill moment surely ?

Does Hoots have a Churchillian/Henry V speech lined up?

[quote user="Herman "]"and Smith must score""Herman "Today is not the time for soundbites, but I feel the hand of history on our shoulders: Tony Blair.

Tony Blair ? More of a Winston Churchill moment surely ?

Does Hoots have a Churchillian/Henry V speech lined up?[/quote]With his Leftist leanings probably not....

[quote user="Herman "]Today is not the time for soundbites, but I feel the hand of history on our shoulders: Tony Blair.[/quote]Ah yes, the Northern Ireland peace agreement.What a tool that quote makes him sound like.On a related and relevant note...