Sign in to follow this  
im spartacus canary

cup final is it ok to cheer for wigan ?

do we want an upset in the best traditions of the fa cup ? or do we want wigan smashed out of sight and demoralised ? my heart wants wigan my head wants citeh... Damn you premier league you''ve spoiled everything OTBC

Thing is, even if they win, you can make a case for them still losing on Tuesday.

They might take their eye off the ball after such a big achievement. Winning League Cup didn''t really help Brum''s confidence (but neither did injuries to their three best CBs).

If Wigan step it up and win the cup today, the odds of them doing the same against Arsenal are pretty slim. Hopefully Spurs win tomorrow and put Arsenal in 5th place, they won''t like that. Really really can''t see Wigan beating Arsenal regardless of todays results. And to make sure, Kone getting an injury or sent off (not serious injury, so we can buy him in the summer :P) would be a bonus.

Win or lose they still have to play again Tuesday. Whatever way you look at it a few players are bound to run out of puff at some point against Arsenal.

A more interesting question is what do the Wigan players want to win more - the Cup or stay in the PL, assuming they can''t have both?

I would guess that since it is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for most of them, they''ll go all out to win the FA Cup, with the attendant risks of getting injuries, knocks etc.

wigan win with injuries suspensions for both team.

feel for Pantillimon - hart has had a poor season yet get parachuted in for a first cup game in two years to get an ego boosting medal. all the more for a wigan win...

Well, I hope Wigan win the Cup and stay up, but obviously not at our expense as they play football the way I like it played. Newcastle or Sunderland to go down will do.

Why do some people on here want a morale boosting win for Wigan against the Premiership runners up just three days before they play Arsenal ? No i do not like Man City but Jesus surely we want Wigan thumped and demoralised ?

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Why do some people on here want a morale boosting win for Wigan against the Premiership runners up just three days before they play Arsenal ? No i do not like Man City but Jesus surely we want Wigan thumped and demoralised ?[/quote]I''m not sure that Wigan get demoralised by a thumping. They seem to be able to always rise above a defeat as has been proven by their escapes in recent years.  That is the mark of a great team spirit and manager.

''Why do some people on here want a morale boosting win for Wigan against the Premiership runners up just three days before they play Arsenal ?''

Because its not as simple as that?

What did winning the League Cup do for Brum''s league form?

And you''d get fantastic odds on Wigan winning today and then beating Arsenal. To win today, Man.C are either going to have to be completely crap, or Wigan are going to need to play out of their skins, which would mean running out of steam on Tuesday. And when Spurs beat Stoke tomorrow, Arsenal will be out of top four and will need to beat Wigan.

another question. Can you really see the players getting themselves together mentally in time for tuesday when they won the best cup competition in the world on the saturday?

especially if they spent all of saturday/sunday celebrating (and who''d blame them if they did)

Normally I would always cheer for the underdogs, who were Wigan going into this game. They are, however, playing very well and there is nothing between the two teams. You wouldn''t believe this is a team fighting relegation.

Win or lose today, they only have until Tuesday to recover and travel to The Emirates. I wouldn''t write them off there, though.

Alternatively, we can win tomorrow and I don''t think it matters!!!

two conclusions from this cup final.......if anyone thinks its a foregone conclusion that Wigan can''t snatch a point at Arsenal,may need to think again?

secondly...if it comes down to goal diff on the last day, if Man City are tis pedestrian for an FA Cup final,is it a given that they''ll rattle up a cricket score against us?

Was gonna say exactly the same!!we''ve had a couple of results go for us recently - the cup final has gone right against us!!

I''m not sure the game will affect Wigan either way - maybe winning it will make them over-positive in their approach to Arsenal

I''m glad Wigan won.  Up yours Man Citeh and your manufactured millionaire joyless "football".  One for the little guys today, and it''s good to see a team win something without buying that success.  And they were the better team all match.Now here''s hoping they hurry up and get relegated.

Anyone fancy chipping in for a few crates of beer for the Wigan boys ;) They ought to really celebrate a great FA Cup win for around about a week!

That will not necessarily follow Ron.

They have lifted themselves to win this today, it will not be easy to do that again on Tuesday, you can''t keep doing it, winning the cup might just take a little bit of the hunger away!

Maybe they will have a massive hangover :-) - or that we''ll have done our business and Tuesday''s game won''t matter.

Either way it would be churlish not to congratulate them on the win - massive, massive win, performance of the century, one of the greatest upsets of all time, Martinez is a genuis. For all the lads at Wigan hope the town throws a massive party for you tomorrow evening, just relax now, put your feet up and time to think of the Summer vacation and where you are going to spend all that bonus money and which team you''d like to transfer to next season...

"Martinez is a genious". He certainly is a very good manager Yellow!