Sign in to follow this  
Ketts Rebel

Win the FA cup or stay in the Premier League?

Obviously stay in league, no contest. This is why fa cup final should be at end of season when league places are decided.

Realistically the Cup is their (and our) only chance of major silverware, but with the extra financial rewards this season it has to be the league.

Would probably have said cup 5 years ago.

Look how few clubs have won the Premier League.

This could be their only chance of cup immortality....or cash in the bank.

[quote user="splutcho"]Win the cup. In twenty years nobody will remember what league you were in.[/quote]And go out of the top flight at the expense of a cup, and in 20 years you may not even be recognisable as a top football club anymore or even still be going...

And this is precisely what is wrong with football today. When I was a kid I used to dream of scoring the winner for Norwich in the Cup final at Wembley.

I hope my boy has that dream too.

I''d hate for his dream to be to score the equaliser somewhere that meant securing 17th place in the Premier League.

Of course it would be amazing to do either but I hope you get my point..

[quote user="Ketts Rebel"]

If you were a Wigan fan, what would you choose today ?

[/quote]Why does it have to be either/or?  Why can''t a Wigan fan want to do both?

Depends how confidant they are of keeping their key players.

If the likes of Kone, McCarthy, McArthur, McManaman, Beausejour, Boyce, Figueroa etc then they''ll come straight back. And importantly especially if they keep Martinez. He knows this team, how they play, how they should be playing, and generally how to motivate them.

If Wigan could say keep the manager and all but one or two of their key players they''ll be straight up, and winning the FA Cup might seem worth it.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Ketts Rebel"]

If you were a Wigan fan, what would you choose today ?

[/quote]Why does it have to be either/or?  Why can''t a Wigan fan want to do both?[/quote]

Wigan face a relegation battle, but have one hand on the FA cup. They could well have both (I hope not).

I just wanted to see what people would want if faced with that dilemma.

Silverware,glory,immortality....somehow survival seems a bit dull compared with that....but as the previous poster has said, maybe that''s what wrong with todays game...

Without hesitation I''d take the cup, clubs of our caliber don''t get their often... if at all. So I''d take the cup any day. Always another shot at coming back up.

Yeah Ditto - the cup definately. For all the reasons stated above, and I think that its character building for clubs to be relegated/promoted now and again!

even more want a win tomorrow. not only does it make us safe but can cheer wigan on to two more unlikely wins and condemn either sunderland, newcastle or villa

now thats a dream scenario..

After watching Dave Whelan''s post match interview, I suspect he would take the cup over survival, you can see what it means to him.

Cup, absolutely and totally. I''m a football fan who loves my club regardless of what league we are in. When I have grand kids, I won''t be regaling them with stories like, "in 2012-13 we stayed in the Premier League by 1 point!"

If we won the FA Cup, I''d be mentioning it all the time and would have framed photographs hanging from my walls for life.

It depresses me that so many have said staying up. I suppose that is the modern game nowadays. Football is nothing like it used to be, it''s so, so much worse. And I''m still a relative nipper.

It''s a tough one to call. Look at what has happened to some of the teams that have got to the final of the cup and the burden of European football.

Newcastle and Birmingham are two good examples.

If you don''t have the squad, or the money to build a squad, that can cope with a comfortable mid-table result, then the chances are if you take Europe seriously then you could endanger your league form and ultimately survival.

That said, it is way better to win the cup, field a weakened team in Europe and get knocked out early, than it is to win nothing at all.

[quote user="Warren Hill"]And this is precisely what is wrong with football today. When I was a kid I used to dream of scoring the winner for Norwich in the Cup final at Wembley.

I hope my boy has that dream too.

I''d hate for his dream to be to score the equaliser somewhere that meant securing 17th place in the Premier League.

Of course it would be amazing to do either but I hope you get my point..[/quote]

I get your point exactly and it''s really a pretty sad state of affairs!

Obviously with football you don''t really get to "choose", so you just try and win everything you can; you''d take both if at all possible.

But the only way I''d take the league was if the club was in very dire financial straits and would likely "do a Portsmouth" if we got relegated. As long as we had a reasonable financial situation, I''d take the cup every time for the reasons above really; we''ve not won any silverware in my lifetime and probably won''t get many chances to. In 50 years time I''ll more likely remember an FA cup win than I will 5 years in the top flight.

Cup without a shadow of a doubt. There is always another chance to get back in the top flight yet we have never even been to the final of The FA Cup. Regardless of whether it is less prestigous than it once was to win The FA Cup would be our greatest ever achievement. Winning trophies is what it''s all about...... and I bet the players woud agree with me.

Yes the winner qualifies for the Europa League.

I believe the runner up can qualify for the Europa League if the winner has qualified for the Champions League.

Well that settles my case...in 20 years they will still be talking about what they do next year in Europe just like we do. Even if they bow out in the first round...they will be talking about their European adventures. That kinda stuff will last forever...shame they probably will have a championship kinda squad and will bow out early.