Sign in to follow this  
jb

Ruddy back on Sunday

My point Vanwink is that you cannot know. Before the villa game I was unsure because I thought it was a gamble to bring a match rusty Ruddy back for such an important game and I don''t think Bunn had done too bad for us. I think it was a tough call for anyone to make.

I do however think that Bunn should''ve done better with both goals last week, so in hindsight I wish Ruddy had played. But, you cannot pick a team with the benefit of hindsight. In any case hindsight still does not give the full picture - who knows - the game may have panned out different and we may have lost 3 - 1.

I think in this case you have to have faith in the decision made.

I think we will see Ruddy in goal tomorrow, I would like to see him in, but if Bunn gets the nod I will understand and not be critical of the decision. I do trust Hughton to pick the one he thinks is in best form in training, and the one he thinks is most likely to do the best job.

We needed all the help we could get to lift the team against Villa. The inclusion of Ruddy would have undoubtedly helped in that regard. Arguably, he might well have stopped one or both goals - but we shall never know. In my opinion, another example of excessive caution from Hughton which again may well have cost us dearly.

While it would have been great and we could have done with Ruddy coming back sooner, is it not better to leave decisions on his fitness/sharpness down to the player, manager and (England''s) goalkeeping coach rather than us supporters? They are far better placed than we are to make these calls, much as we maybe don''t want them.

Fair point of course BP but if we take out all threads regarding purchases, sales, tactics, selections etc, the only threads left would be the ''prediction'' and ''bickering'' threads.

The inclusion of Ruddy last week, COULD (not 100% would have) been 50/50 on helpfulness/harmfulness.

he could of saved one or both goals, or on the other hand, let in 2 more which would, by all accounts, give us the worst GD out of any of our opponants fighting for survival.

Exactly JDT!

I don''t exactly buy into Highlands theory that it would''ve undoubtedly lifted spirits. Equally it MAY have made manager, players and some fans a little nervy. Ruddy MAY also not have been up to that big occasion for his return. For me there are too many ifs and buts on this topic for Hughton or Bunn to be criticised and Ruddy hailed as the hero who didn''t get his chance.

I don''t think this is like other selection discussions as it does not really affect the game tactics like outfield players would.

I was amazed to be honest Rudolph. I can only assume he wasn''t fit, but if he selected tomorrow you have to ask why he wasn''t at least on the bench last week.

Since Ruddy became injured I have been concerned with Bunn''s positioning in relation to the goal line; several long-distance shots have beaten our second ''keeper - and most times I''ve felt Ruddy might well have had the angle covered simply by being 1 metre further advanced.

Looking at the BBC Sport page for the Norwich vs WBA game I read:

• The Canaries have conceded more goals (13) from outside the area than any other team in the Premier League this term.

This stat also backs up many fan''s observations that our defending midfielders are not effective at tracking and closing down opposition runners.

Full article here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22417730

Why do people continue to state the absolute obvious? Of course Bunn isn''t as good as Ruddy. Of course he''s conceded goals that Ruddy wouldn''t have or else he''d be our first choice, not second choice, keeper. The only question is whether at this exact moment in time a rusty Ruddy is better than a fully match fit Bunn and only the coaches can make that call. I doubt very much Hughton is going to take the risk to recall Ruddy at this stage.

i will be amazed if Ruddy isn''t recalled, and also very disappointed. i have said on other threads that, in my opinion, Bunns distribution from hand is awful. all he does is punt the ball downfield as far as he can. i cannot remember ever seeing him throw the ball out to our defence or mid-field to ensure retention of the ball, thus putting us on the forward foot. Ruddy, on the other hand, does this well, thus making it easier for the team to be more attack minded. Ruddy MUST play in this vital match.