Sign in to follow this  
10Jackson

Team for Tomorrow

Ruddy

Whittaker R.Bennett Bassong Garrido

E.Bennett Tettey Johnson Pilkington/Snodgrass

Holt. Becchio

Time to give Becchio a chance and ruddy should be back I prefer Whittaker ahead of Martin just a personal preference Elliott Bennett has played well in the lay 2 games he has started so why not use him!

I would agree with Pilks down the left. Howson in for Tettey as well because we need a cretive player or slip hoolahan on and resort to the diamond formation.

Only reason I put Tettey in is because we have been conceding goals when players have run and run and run! This is where Tettey will come in useful as he will break the play up!

RuddyMartin, R.Bennett, Bassong, GarridoTetteyPilks, E.BennettHoolahanHolt, BecchioYes, I am advocating a return to the diamond and two upfront, we simply cannot afford to defend this one out, I think Tettey is the better overall player than Johnson so gets the nod in the DM slot, Becchio may not have had many minutes but he should still be fit and deserves the chance, and Benno has really impressed in his last few games and gets the starting spot over Snoddy for me which gives us more pace and a more direct threat.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]Tettey cannot pass the ball well enough to play at the base of the diamond.[/quote]The diamond doesn''t necessitate having a playmaking midfielder at the base of it, in fact that was one of the main issues with Foxy in that his distribution was normally very good, but the defensive side of things was somewhat average in most games (and pretty rough in others).Tettey on the other hand gives us the benefit of knowing that the defensive side will be very strong, but the distribution may be slightly less impressive.That being said however, Tettey is still managing an 83% pass completion rate overall this season (2nd only to Wes in the squad on 84%) and he''s also got the highest percentage completion rate on long balls in the whole team as well!Tettey is much better at passing than he''s given credit for, mainly because he normally focuses on making simple accurate passes to close teammates than he does on trying to pick out 50 yard cross field balls for the wingers etc.

I don''t think the formation is anywhere near as important as the tactics used with it.

4-4-2, 4-4-1-1, 4-2-3-1, 4-1-2-1-2, 4-5-1, 4-3-3, we can get a result with any of them if we attack as a unit and keep the ball better.

I''d disagree there Indy. The whole point of us playing the diamond was to get the best out of Wes, Fox played a huge part in that. We won''t get the bet from Wes if the CB''s are hitting 50 yard passes over his head.

I''ll stand by my opinion that Tettey isn''t suitable for that role.

What I''d go for-

Ruddy

Martin Bennett Bassong Whittaker

Pilkington Johnson Hoolahan /Snodgrass

Holt. Becchio

What we''ll play-

Bunn

Martin Bennett Bassong Garrido

Pilkington Tettey Johnson Hoolahan Snodgrass

Holt

In all fairness - if Hughton plays the percentages - a point will probably be enough.

I can''t complain at hughton playing 1 striker away from home but today we really need to play 2 upfront, like we should in all home games.

Hoolahan shouldn''t play with 1 upfront. I say it time and time again he isolates the striker. There is no place in the team for him unless we play the diamond, he runs around and plays some good passes but he rarely directly assists or scores, which a player of his position should.

For me it''s holt and becchio.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Mr Brownstone"]Tettey cannot pass the ball well enough to play at the base of the diamond.[/quote]The diamond doesn''t necessitate having a playmaking midfielder at the base of it, in fact that was one of the main issues with Foxy in that his distribution was normally very good, but the defensive side of things was somewhat average in most games (and pretty rough in others).Tettey on the other hand gives us the benefit of knowing that the defensive side will be very strong, but the distribution may be slightly less impressive.That being said however, Tettey is still managing an 83% pass completion rate overall this season (2nd only to Wes in the squad on 84%) and he''s also got the highest percentage completion rate on long balls in the whole team as well!Tettey is much better at passing than he''s given credit for, mainly because he normally focuses on making simple accurate passes to close teammates than he does on trying to pick out 50 yard cross field balls for the wingers etc.[/quote]
Tettey, IMO, is the worse passer in the team. I keep seeing stats comparing him against Howson (who i think deserves to keep his place) and Johnson, but passing accuracy isnt enough, would need to see a stat about average passing range too. I am not sure i have ever seen Tettey pass it beyond 5M away from him and even that super simple pass he can mess up catastrophically on occassion.
I thought he was going to be the signing of the season early on, but as sadly that was not to be.

tettey gets in the team not because he does not give away possession easily but because he is defensively sound and gives the ball players a platform to build upon.

The vast expanses of space left by bj and howson all season has cost us goals and points. WIth WBA prefering to attack through that area of the pitch his inclusion is a must.

And tetteys passing woes are hugely overstated and ignore the woeful passing we have seen from the undroppables during his absence, from 2 yards and up.

The key to todays win is discipline in shape, movement and energy and using the ability the team have. These are not champs players - Hughton even has pinkun forums believing in his press conferences now

Ruddy

Martin  Bennett Bassong Garrido

Bennett Tettey Howson Pilkington

Wes   Holt

Subs:

Jackson, Beccio, Bunn, Whittaker Snodgrass Johnson ( if not suspended?) Fox

All options covered

Tettey''s strengths are breaking up play, reading the game well and reacting to 50-50 situations quickly. Howson is a slightly better passer, but also more creative going forward. Hard one to call.