Sign in to follow this  
Jersey Canary

Is the Wigan win good for us or not?

Someone else mentioned Arsenal might not be complacent now...

I guess also if Lambert is a ''winner''... he might want to beat the FA Cup Holders and then use that over the summer... to say how much they''ve progressed as by and large it''ll still be a disappointing season if they lose to win and be only 2 points off the drop at best.

No one knows.

Its already been discussed in about 15 different threads, sorry to be forum police, but if you want peoples opinion just open one of the many threads on Wigan.

Wigan have never won an FA Cup final before while being 3 points adrift with two games to go, one away to Arsenal in 3 days. Its a completely new scenario. The win could have a positive effect for them, a negative effect or none what so ever. Spurs could lose tomorrow and Arsenal won''t have same pressure on them, which may or may not help. And we could win making what Wigan do irrelevant to our own safety, so only of interest as to whom we won''t face next season. Or we could draw and have to wait for Wigan''s game on Tuesday.

I want to be happy for Wigan... and if we win tomorrow I can be. If we beat West Brom tomorrow, Id be more than happy for Wigan to win their remaining two games.

Might even relegate Villa for us.

We have to beat West Brom tho, if we don''t then Wigan''s results remain important. So in that respect, I think this win will instill belief in them.

I think a better result would have been a last minute heartbreaker for Wigan after extra time.

Sadly I do not think this will give us a better chance of getting points against Man City (hopefully we might not need them).

Tell me, if Man City were to sack Mancini tonight, would this be a good thing for us on the last day or not?

I''ve read a few posts suggesting that a win on Sunday will put us safe. Umm, no. If Wigan then win their last two games, they''ll be on the same number of points as us, with us to lose goal difference (potentially) to Man City. We have to win tomorrow AND win against Man City in order for all Wigan results to be meaningless.

If Wigan win their last two games that means Villa will lose their last game. Or to put it another way if we win then both Villa and Wigan cannot overtake us as they play each other on the last day.

[quote user="Alan_Grey"]I''ve read a few posts suggesting that a win on Sunday will put us safe. Umm, no. If Wigan then win their last two games, they''ll be on the same number of points as us, with us to lose goal difference (potentially) to Man City. We have to win tomorrow AND win against Man City in order for all Wigan results to be meaningless.[/quote]

But that will mean they have beaten Villa

[quote user="ron obvious"]You were saying Mr. Grey?

Blimey, life''s difficult enough as it is. No need to try & make it even harder![/quote]

Funnily enough, people do and are allowed to make mistakes, and can have a reasonable expectation to not be gloated and bleated at.

Apologies if it was a genuine mistake, it''s just that I do get fed up with posters who try to make things out to be worse than they actually are. They''re quite bad enough already.

It does seem odd that you couldn''t see it though.

I just wonder whether they can raise themselves again? It can be hard to pick up form after a big emotional match.

The phrase used to be after The Lord Mayor''s Show.

They will be emotionally exhausted and it is not given that they will reproduce that level of performance.

On a drunken one in Magaluf - 16 blokes in matching "Lee from Wigan stag" t-shirts. Congratulated them on their win - not one Wigan fan but 6 Arsenal fans hoping for a win in the week / the rest are "Man U fans" - mmmm

Unlike Man City, Arsenal WILL attack Wigan.  The question is can Wigan keep them out?  I don''t think so.

To think, Man City couldn''t even score against cr@ppy little Wigan when every other team seems to score freely against them.  Man City must be well rubbish![;)]

Of course the doomsday scenario is Wigan beat Arsenal and Villa while we lose to WBA and Man C. That would relegate us presuming that Newcastle haven''t lost both their games as well. Alternatively if we draw today and lose to Ma C while Wigan beat Arsenal and Villa we could also still be down Both scenarios are possible. Sends a shiver down my spine. So today is obviously still a must win!

no but its all about us we have to win to day and a draw at man city and if we lose to day the players should not get there wages for this game .

The pure arrogance shown by some of our fans towards Wigan makes me sick. They deserve to be in this league as much as anyone.

And i cant help but respect the way they manage to battle it out every season to stay here. If only our manager and players showed then same passion.