Sign in to follow this  
super canary

match thread-city v wba

Great team performance, great pressurising as a team unit and the pace of the passing has stepped up a few notches. Holt started well but having a few sloppy touches and passes, Snodgrass having a exceptional game, as is Wes

A little worrying how Bradley Johnson dives in on occasions. You can be aggressive without being foolish. We don''t need a red card to cause things to slip away from us. 

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="NWC"]Great first half - although we should have had at least one more goal with all the chances we created.[/quote]Yep, makes you wonder why we haven''t played like this for most of the season instead of leaving it until so much was at stake...[/quote]

Having Ruddy back gives us more confidence and skill at the back, which allows us to play more freely. You''ll notice that our 10 game winning streak came to an end and our slide began, right about the same time that Ruddy went down.Having an average keeper in goal means you have to protect that keeper, hence, playing a more defensive style.Just a thought...but one I happen to believe

The most important (and impressive) factor for me is how well we have manipulated the ball. Our average passing accuracy is 81% if you take out the two lowest (Holt and Ruddy, who being goalkeeper and striker are going to have lower success rates anyway) and it goes to 84%. We have 3 players in the low 90''s and only one (apart from Holt and Ruddy) below 80%. These are very impressive statistics and are indicative of a greater focus on ball retention and passing accuracy. Why can''t we pass like that all the time?

Great show first half very impressed also very impressed with RVW tweeting a picture of him watching the game.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Well Yankee its Howson who''s been booked for being foolish...[/quote]
To be fair, I think he was just trying to stop the guy from progressing down the field and putting our defence under pressure. Looking at it cynically, you could suggest it was the ''smart'' thing to do.

[quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Someone needs to tell Jeff Stelling we''re safe if we win.[/quote]But we won''t be [/quote]
Yes we will, as Villa have to play Wigan

[quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Someone needs to tell Jeff Stelling we''re safe if we win.[/quote]
But we won''t be
[/quote]

But we would be

[quote user="Twitchy"]Great show first half very impressed also very impressed with RVW tweeting a picture of him watching the game.[/quote]Just noticed this too. Good to see he''s excited about coming here and look forward to seeing him play in yellow soon too.Excited about the second half for the first time in a while.

[quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Someone needs to tell Jeff Stelling we''re safe if we win.[/quote]
But we won''t be
[/quote]

Yes we will. The only way Wigan could get to 41 points us would be by beating Arsenal and then Villa in their last game. Which in turn means Villa couldn''t also get to 41 points. If we win today, one of those two have to finish below us.

he has been shouting ,arguing and shaking his head at pilks all first half according to radio whats that all about ?

[quote user="Phillip J Fry"]The most important (and impressive) factor for me is how well we have manipulated the ball. Our average passing accuracy is 81% if you take out the two lowest (Holt and Ruddy, who being goalkeeper and striker are going to have lower success rates anyway) and it goes to 84%. We have 3 players in the low 90''s and only one (apart from Holt and Ruddy) below 80%. These are very impressive statistics and are indicative of a greater focus on ball retention and passing accuracy. Why can''t we pass like that all the time?[/quote]Possible because WBA have nothing to play for and are not pressurising us into mistakes as much as they might do otherwise.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Well Yankee its Howson who''s been booked for being foolish...[/quote]

I realise Howson has the yellow ( and he needs to be careful now ) but I was less concerned about that than when I see Johnson getting his studs up on tackles. You don''t need to get a yellow first to be given a red. As I said previously, we need to be aggressive without being foolish.

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="Phillip J Fry"]The most important (and impressive) factor for me is how well we have manipulated the ball. Our average passing accuracy is 81% if you take out the two lowest (Holt and Ruddy, who being goalkeeper and striker are going to have lower success rates anyway) and it goes to 84%. We have 3 players in the low 90''s and only one (apart from Holt and Ruddy) below 80%. These are very impressive statistics and are indicative of a greater focus on ball retention and passing accuracy. Why can''t we pass like that all the time?[/quote]Possible because WBA have nothing to play for and are not pressurising us into mistakes as much as they might do otherwise. [/quote]
West Brom tend not to press anyway. They''re a team that like to sit deep and counter. Pressing isn''t really their strong point. But I tend to agree that they are not as agressive as they normally are, probably because they are safe.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

I realise Howson has the yellow ( and he needs to be careful now ) but I was less concerned about that than when I see Johnson getting his studs up on tackles. You don''t need to get a yellow first to be given a red. As I said previously, we need to be aggressive without being foolish.

[/quote]

Fair enough, but he hasn''t been sent off for us before. Of course there is always the chance of first time, and some of his tackling is a bit reckless, but I think thats partly his style and in the main he manages to keep it ''safe'' enough.

Well as I see it if we win 1-0, we will have 41pts, GD -21If we lose 1-0 next week we''ll have 41pts, GD -22If Wigan win their 2 games by 1 goal each they will be on 41 pts with a GD -21How is that safe 2 ?

Thats the second HB olsen''s done - both pretty soft, but surel;y we''ll get the call on the third!