Sign in to follow this  
Buster Douglas

Is it a successful season???

We stayed up so that''s the first objective the management wanted.

But was is it a successful season, I think not!!! We cud have been in two cup finals had it not been for the negative tactics that we employed. To lose to Luton at home is unforgivable despite what a lot of posters on here might say!

I for one wish CH all the best but to me he''s not a traditional City manager in terms of the way the team play!!

Great result today and had the team been allowed to play in that type of style maybe I would have changed my opinion!!

Anyway onwards and upwards COYY!!!

We didn''t deserve to lose at home to Wigan.

Had a goal not given when game was at 0-0. Ball crossed the line. Yes we weren''t good enough rest of the game to score, but that was a goal, and we should have been 1-0 up.

And today is probably how Hughton wants us playing. We have played like this before, last week in fact, not as good/persistent in final third, but for most of the Villa game we were decent. And i''ll list a number of other games we were decent going forward/overall in:

Reading (mainly first 20 mins of each half)

Arsenal (home and away)

Swansea (away, and I think home)

Man.U away

Sunderland first half

Parts of Everton game

Spurs in cup, Spurs away parts of Spurs at home.

Man.C at home (albeit against 10 men)

Villa away

Just of the top of my head. And in the 10 game run we showed real grit and determination and the ability to stop others from being effective, a useful tool to have.

I was starting to move towards the ''negative'' side, but really thinking about it there are a lot of positives and a lot has gone against us (past two months I can think of 3 or 4 obvious penalties not given, couple of 50/50 red cards given/not given and a dodgy penalty given against us. Could go back further as well...).

Hughton won''t be sacked. I can''t see it. And I do feel silly for pretty much saying he should be. Yes this is only one game, but hopefully it shows what Hughton wants to achieve, and what we will be playing like next season.

I think it is. We wanted to survive and we have. We don''t have a huge budget to work with a what Hughton has done is incredible. We can now look forward to having more TV money to work with and we can move onwards and upwards.

It won''t go down in history, but we have been spoilt recently.

That season goes down as a great success. It could be the biggest season we''ve had if it proves to be a springboard to sustained premier league football with the odd punt at europe.

This depends entirely what criteria you use. We are in the premiership next season which I think was the overall aim of the club and this was done without too much spend so I think from that point of view it has been a successful season? Is it as successful as it could have been then I don''t think it has. We survived relegation only just, we were not as effective as we could have been in the transfer windows and for large proportion of the season we had very poor performances. 

The most important factor overall was that we HAD to stay up, missing out on the new TV deal would have been a huge blow going forwards even if we are on a very stable financial footing at this point.I have to say that at times I have truly detested the style and quality of football on display (that Stoke game will take a bloody long time to get erased from my mind), and that I still have concerns about Hughton going forwards, but we have stayed up with a game to spare and maybe, just maybe, today''s result was the catalyst needed to get Hughton to remove the overly defensive shackles he''s put on the team, and we''ll see a much improved style of play next season in line with what we are capable of and witnessed earlier.Has the season been a success - Absolutely!It may not have been the development some of us wanted, the football may have been rough for a long period and came very close to a different result near the end, but we''re still here, we get the new TV deal and we also have a new marquee striker to look forward to next year.Sounds like a success to me...

Just remember how hard it is to even GET into the Premier League, let along have the chance of staying there.

With our calibre of players, I think it''s been a success as our aim was nothing more than to finish above the top three