Does CH have much choice in this?

1) Tettey had an impressive start but seems to heave subsided recently.

2) He wants more creativity in the central midfield, and more firepower, which neither Johnson nor Tettey seem able to provide.

Put these two together and Howson seems to be just about his only option. I accept that Fox is creative, in long passing, but he would weaken the defence. The only other possibility might be to play Whittaker there, but he seems to prefer wide right.

We are not short of midfielders, but we are short of quality.

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]I''m not saying they are good enough but which pairing would you go for?[/quote]Based on results this season I would pick Tettey and Johnson.   (and Whittaker at Right back)In all honesty I would rather Fox had been given a chance at some point during our terrible run in 2013.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="Yellow Wall"]I''m not saying they are good enough but which pairing would you go for?[/quote]Based on results this season I would pick Tettey and Johnson.   (and Whittaker at Right back)In all honesty I would rather Fox had been given a chance at some point during our terrible run in 2013.[/quote]

This.

[quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="Yellow Wall"]I''m not saying they are good enough but which pairing would you go for?[/quote]Based on results this season I would pick Tettey and Johnson.   (and Whittaker at Right back)In all honesty I would rather Fox had been given a chance at some point during our terrible run in 2013.[/quote]

This.[/quote]

Would love to have seen tettey and fox.

Did you not watch last week? Midfield was in no way what so ever overrun.

Please learn how to support your team. No that doesn''t mean being blindly optimistic, but it does mean not being a complete and utter negative prat the whole time.

And 10 mins on, I think its fair to say midfield still not being overrun even as WBA start to get into the game more. And super BJ getting stuck in and showing those WBA lads whats what.

Howson at it now. Showing Long who''s boss.

Well done Bradders and Howson. Giving Hoolahan the space he needs to operate effectively. Not allowing WBA to attack through the middle.

Great pairing in the middle.

How you doing lincoln?

Please don''t gloat just yet ginge. We still have another half. I don''t want it being cursed.

I''m just updating Lincoln on what is happening, as he clearly missed the first half last week, wouldn''t want that happening again...

Still not really any real problems for the midfield two, Tettey now introduced so no further updates required.

I really hope we persist with Howson next year, he is still developing and with better players around him and less rigid defensive responsibilities I think he could flourish into the player he always looks capable of being.

I know that Johnson and Tettey were the two for our run but actually think that barring maybe Whittaker for Martin that was our strongest team playing today. We may look more defensively sound with Tettey and Johnson but Howson just gives that little bit more option going forward.

He''s looked better and better for me as the last few weeks have gone on, even though we haven''t been getting the results needed.

I really think Johnson and Howson work well together in the middle.

Johnson needs that player next to him who will come short and pick up the ball from him when he''s won it. His passing rate was higher last season when he played with Fox and Howson, I am sure it is down this season because of Tettey, who just doesn''t play that way. Johnson and Howson do link well together, and they work especially well with an AM in front of them, I was starting to think we might have seen the end of Hoolahan, but I think another out and out AM will be signed for next season as some proper direct competition for him, and 4-4-1-1 or 4-2-3-1 will be our formation.

Howson has the ability to be a more attacking midfielder, but is great going from box to box, much better passer than he''s given credit for, great shot on him, can be very creative, good vision, can break up play, complements a Johnson type player perfectly when he''s playing to his full potential. Hopefully Howson can start next season like this, and we won''t have to wait until final couple of months again.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]Well today I''ve been proved thoroughly wrong. At times the pair of them have been awfull but today FairPlay, absolutely immense. I couldn''t see that performance coming. Well played.[/quote]Nice touch of humility, if your going to be wrong.. then at least its good that its to the benefit of the team.Howson was immense today, if he can push on from this performance and carry on into next season he could become a real solid player. Johnson maintained his high level of performance that we have seen from the entire season. All 4 of the ex-Leeds group were on form, Becchio managing to tee-up Howson with an excellent bit of play for the goal of the game.

Spent the last three months telling people Howson is a bloody good player and that they should get behind him rather than finding reasons to knock him. More often than not they told me I was wrong.

Johnson has had a good season two but I suspect Howson is more likely to play the bigger part going forward.

Howson looked more like the player we saw last season. Constantly showing for the ball, making forward runs and even getting into a position to shoot.  Looks a square peg in a round hole playing that static, holding defensive midfield role. Give him license to roam and he''s a different player.