Sign in to follow this  
Evesham Canary

Current squad - who stays & who goes?

Now that we know we will be a prem team next year it is time to look at the squad. Who would you keep & who should we move on? 1 caveat, I am not allowing for a Ruddy to Arsenal type move.

Def keep - Ruddy, Bunn, Martin, Whittaker, Bassong, Turner, R Bennett, Tettey, Howson, Johnson, Wes, Pilks, Snodgrass, E Bennett,RVW, Holt

This is 16 players.

Possibles - Garrido (if we can get for £1M or so), Vaughan, Surman, Camp (depends on what we do with Rudd & Steer), Ayala

Move on - Ward, Barnett, Tierney, Adeyemi , Smith, Becchio, Jackson, Fox.

You would think we will see another 5 or 6 coming in this summer at least & that is if the likes of Ruddy, Johnson or Pilks go for decent money. Def need another striker - I suspect Becchio will stay & maybe Vaughan too but we need a striker with pace. Also need at least 1 left back & another centre half. Also a midfielder who can pass & score goals. Maybe a wide man with pace although the Murphy boys might solve this problem.

Snodgrass should go for me.

As controversial as that may appear, he tries hard but is far too wasteful. His desire gets him over the line but we often lose out on a great opportunity due to his composure, decision making or over compensation.

I wouldn''t change his involvement from this season but I think we need a player of higher technical skill.

I consider pilks and an in form Bennett, above him, despite his heart and effort.

its going to be so tough for either of the Murphey boys to break into the team, but they both have a great oppertunity tomorrow, one of them needs to put in such an excellent performance that they really give Chris Hughton something to think about!

RenegadeSnare are you for real?

If not for him, we would of been relegated

[quote user="RenegadeSnare"]Snodgrass should go for me.

As controversial as that may appear, he tries hard but is far too wasteful. His desire gets him over the line but we often lose out on a great opportunity due to his composure, decision making or over compensation.

I wouldn''t change his involvement from this season but I think we need a player of higher technical skill.

I consider pilks and an in form Bennett, above him, despite his heart and effort.[/quote]
............... Because he didn''t score our opener and keep us in games throughout this whole season with sublime free kicks. Are you for real?

Like I said, I wouldn''t take away from this season as theres been some good moments but its uncanny how often he wastes a promising attack. He doesn''t have natural ability. He''s a grafter who has served us well.

Bennett was one of our star performers last season and would be again. We all know pilks ability.

Both deliver a much more promising delivery and are more capable of beating their man.

And yes a few of his freekcks have led to goals but think how many have been over hit or floatedbstraight to the keeper.

People on here have been complaining about the service all season.

Pilks and benno can whip an accurate ball in.

In response to some of the critcism Snodgrass seems to be getting, without being rude, this just baffles me!

Arguably our POTS and in my opinion for POTS would run Bassong very close. Agreed that of recent his delivery should be better from set pieces, but since Hughton claimed he was one of the best in the division at this it seemed to give him the kiss of death thereafter (this does seem to of been purely a coincidence though), aside from this his first season in the Premier League has been top class. Good on the ball, willing to create, committed and probably has more assists and goals than anyone in the squad.

I have sympathy with Renegade''s view.   Snodgrass would be better off just crossing the ball at the earliest opportunity instead of running into blind alleys all the time.   The lack of crosses is partly down to him and his insistence on dribbling, head down, with the ball.    Too many wasted opportunities.  His effort is not in question and he gets involved and has had some success, but the end product is often not there.    Needs to improve - to be less selfish and see his role mainly as a provider, not a dribbler.  He doesn''t have the pace and rarely gets anywhere with his dribbling.  Ok he gets the odd free kick and even penalty, but could provide so much more in the way of crosses.

[quote user="RenegadeSnare"]Like I said, I wouldn''t take away from this season as theres been some good moments but its uncanny how often he wastes a promising attack. He doesn''t have natural ability. He''s a grafter who has served us well.

Bennett was one of our star performers last season and would be again. We all know pilks ability.

Both deliver a much more promising delivery and are more capable of beating their man.[/quote]
I''ve noticed a few people suggesting Snodgrass isn''t all that, although no-one has gone as far as you and suggested selling him. 
IMO he has been our player of the season, often left on his own to try and grab the game by the scruff of its neck and make something happen. All too often he has picked up the ball and ran his heart out with no option available to him. 
I would suggest that those who don''t rate him say that because his crossing can be inconsistent and he doesn''t always beat his man, but the same can be said for Valencia and Nani.
Snodgrass''s mistakes are always going to get noticed more because he is involved in almost every attack.
Now the guy is our top goalscorer (i think joint with holt), he leads the assist chart and puts in as more effort than most, why would you want to sell him?

[quote user="RenegadeSnare"]Like I said, I wouldn''t take away from this season as theres been some good moments but its uncanny how often he wastes a promising attack. He doesn''t have natural ability. He''s a grafter who has served us well.

Both deliver a much more promising delivery and are more capable of beating their man.[/quote]
Bennett scored one. Snodgrass has scored (six?)

[quote user="lake district canary"]I have sympathy with Renegade''s view.   Snodgrass would be better off just crossing the ball at the earliest opportunity instead of running into blind alleys all the time.   The lack of crosses is partly down to him and his insistence on dribbling, head down, with the ball.    Too many wasted opportunities.  His effort is not in question and he gets involved and has had some success, but the end product is often not there.    Needs to improve - to be less selfish and see his role mainly as a provider, not a dribbler.  He doesn''t have the pace and rarely gets anywhere with his dribbling.  Ok he gets the odd free kick and even penalty, but could provide so much more in the way of crosses.

[/quote]
Who do you expect him to be crossing too? All to often he picks the ball up, dribbles a little while waiting on support, looks up, and low and behold, no is there to cross to or an isolate Holt or Wes on their own. He also never has the chance to play a through ball as very rarely do we see a striker making a run behind the opposition defence
I am not saying his crossing couldn''t improve, because it could, but he is by far our best crosser of the ball, those balls when he cuts back in and whips it in are just deadly. He also isn''t the fastest, but his quick feet often leave FBs for dead.
I think the guy made Popov look a complete fool today, he had no idea if he would be cutting in or going past him on the outside.

Garrido has the option on if he joins or not now, not the club. so he stays 100% because, if you just look at his twitter feed and interviews, he frikken loves us. and he has been consistent and awesome for us this season.

I expect to see the following go, including loans.

Ward(free), Barnett, Tierney, Adeyemi (loan, cship) , Smith (loan, cship), Camp (despite saying he wouldn''t mind staying if contract was offered, unless ruddy gets injured again next season (god forbid) he won''t get anywhere close to the first team), Jackson (free), Fox. CMartin (gone, Free) Ayala (loan, cardiff/hull/3rd promoted.) Vaughan, Murphy twins (loan), Rudd (loan) and the LB in u18s has really impressed me, name has escaped me though. Wouldn''t be shocked to see him offered a contract and sent out on loan.

He did have a good game, as you say when there has been nobody in the box it''s a it of a dilemma to know what to do with the ball when your bombing down the win.

I think LDC that he would look to deliver earlier if he had options in the box and as his confidence improves again.

They have all been hesitant recently. Not today though.

I wouldn''t get rid of Snodgrass and I think he''s had a good first season but he is prone to holding on to the ball too long.

The very best players know when to release the ball but Snodgrass isn''t quite there yet. He was like it at Leeds and it has been in and out of his game this season.

Sometimes he gets it right but often he gives the opposition time to get themselves set and his options become limited - usually resulting in the break down of the attack.

He has too many extra touches and I think it''ll be something they look to get out of his game.

Ruddy, Bunn, R Martin, Whitaker, R Bennett, Bassong, Turner, Howson, Tettey, Johnson, Snodgrass, Hoolahan, E Bennett, Pilkington, RVW, Holt, Becchio makes 17 (assuming Holt or Becchio doesn''t get used in a part-exchange for Hooper)Tierney, Ward, Barnett, Fox, K Smith to leave (or be left out of the squad and loaned out for their final year)Assuming Garrido signs, we''d need another left back, a Barnett replacement, a Fox replacement, another left winger to challenge Pilkington, a pacy striker. Which takes us up to 23.Which means some tough decisions will have to be made about Butterfield, Adeyemi, Rudd, Surman and Ayala. Because my count, there would only be 2 slots left. That''s assuming they wouldn''t be filled by new signings.

I have been very critical of Snoddy recently, and today was easily his best performances.

Hopefully now Snoddy will play with a big more urgency and intensity...however, it was a hallmark of today''s game from us.

Over the course of the past season, I have felt we needlessly slow the play down in the final third and one of the biggest culprits is Snoddy..

With reference to keeping players:

Ruddy, Bunn, Camp (loan Rudd/Steer)

Garrido/

Whittaker/Martin

Bassong/Turner/Bennett

Johnson/Tettey/Howson

Hoolahan/

Pilks/Snoddy/Bennett

Holt/Becchio

Above is 17 players with RvW = 7 Recruits.

Bring in:

Back Up LB

Back Up CB

Playmaker DM

Hoolahan upgrade

Winger Upgrade

3rd Striker

and maybe a utility forward (Cover for Wing/CF/AM)

I guess Davies & Hooper will still be on the radar & Redmond might be the one to be the new wide man/no.10? If Brighton don''t come up could go for Bridcutt. Mcmanamam would be nice if Wigan go down but he might be on a few radars now after yesterday! Townsend from Spurs would be a good addition. Carroll from Spurs as a loan signing would be immense.

I don''t know how anyone can criticise Snodgrass''s set pieces, mental. He''s been the best in the league at delivering free kicks this season, pretty sure no-one else comes close to the amount of goals he''s made from them.What do people expect, perfection everytime?

I can''t believe some of the comment on this thread, snodgrass has easily been our best attacking player all season, will probably win POTS and rightly so, without his goals and delivery we would not be celebrating tonight!

I think we will see the exit of Martin (gone) Barrnet, Tierney, Jackson, Ward, Ayala, Vaughan, Camp, RuddOn loan; Smith, Steer, Adeyemi, jacob Murphy, Josh Murphy

Not sure about the contracts or the managers views on Butterfield, Fox and Surman

[quote user="RenegadeSnare"]Bennett was one of our star performers last season and would be again. We all know pilks ability.

Both deliver a much more promising delivery and are more capable of beating their man.[/quote]Not this season they don''t...Accurate Crossing Stats: Pilks - 23/125 = 18.4% accuracy, Snoddy - 78/282 = 27.7% accuracy, Benno - 17/60 = 28.3% accuracy.So whilst Bennett has shown a minor 0.6% better accuracy than Snoddy, he''s also attempted crosses 4 times LESS than Snoddy has, and Pilks has been way short this time around compared to last season which was:Last Season Crossing: Pilks 37/108 = 34.3% accuracy, Benno 36/151 = 23.8% accuracyOn last seasons stats you may have had an argument with ''much more promising'' in regards to Pilks (although even then it was still less than half of the amount of crosses Snoddy has done this year), but certainly not Benno, and based on this seasons, you haven''t got a prayer of making that claim for either of them.Moving onto ''beating their man'', which is basically successful dribbles:This season: Pilks - 14 in 2077 mins = 1 every 148 mins, Benno - 10 in 938 mins = 1 every 94 mins, Snoddy - 46 in 2960 mins = 1 every 63 minsLast season: Pilks - 12 in 1975 mins = 1 every 165 mins, Benno - 18 in 2013 mins = 1 every 112 minsSo in actual fact, Snoddy ''beats his man'' twice as often as Pilks, and a third more than Benno does.This not only shows that much more of our attacking focus has been down the right with Snoddy this season, but that he''s dribbled better than both of them whilst crossing more and being pretty accurate in the process. This doesn''t mean that Pilks and Benno have suddenly become poor players, but you need to recognise how impressive Snoddy has been despite some of the frustrating parts of his game.Anyway, now that''s been cleared up, is there anymore unfounded mud you''d like to try slinging at Snoddy - or are you going to accept that you''ve got it very wrong on this score and back down?

Mr Renegade, have you ever considered that the reason Snodgrass appears to run into "blind alleys" sometimes (which he is often good at getting out of) is because the lack of support in the final third? So many times, even yesterday I''ve witnessed one of our players storming forward only to to turn back and go backwards or sideways simply because the rest of our midfield and forwards are sitting deep. Our problem, is our central midfield. Individually, Johnson, Tettey and Howson are not bad players but we need the right mix. We''ve shown more attacking promise since howson has had a run of games (can''t believe people have been slating him). We need a central midfielder of attacking bias next season who can get our team mobile going forward and create and score too. For me thats the biggest problem of the current team. Pilks and Snodgrass have more than enough ability to do what we need but they need the ball earlier and with tempo and then the support in the final third.

Looking at it sensibly, there''s the squad which I''d like to keep and the squad which I think will be kept, and there''s a few differences between the two that would make changes to transfers in etc, but as there''s little point debating whether or not someone like Fox will be kept (not after the total lack of games this season), I''ll just put what I expect to see.GK: Ruddy, Bunn, Rudd & Steer (Both to be sent on loan, Rudd to CCC or better, Steer to L1/CCC, and both with immediate recall clauses)LB: Garrido, TBCRB: Whittaker, R.MartinCB: Bassong, Turner, R.Bennett, TBCDM: Johnson, TetteyCM: Howson, TBCLM: Pilks, SurmanRM: Snoddy, E.BennettAM: Wes, ButterfieldCF: Holt, RVW, Becchio, TBCI think that we''ll see something pretty much like this, Holt may well be offered as part of a deal for Hooper as CH seems fixated on him, and whether or not Butterfield will be able to challenge for a squad number or be sold on remains to be seen.Sadly this means the end for players like Fox, Vaughan, Smith and Adeyemi, none of whom have done anything wrong but are either victims of our rapid rise, or not seen as the future by Hughton.

Apart from his obvious merits Snodgrass is good defensively (although he does scare me with some of his tackles) and puts in 100% every game. I think he is also at his best with Whittaker behind and overlapping him, shame we did not see this pairing too much.

I like Bennett but Snoddy is a much better player. He has clearly been one of if not the best player this season and will be one of the first players on the teamsheet when fit regardless of who comes in. To go for me would be anyone currently on loan plus fox Jackson smith.

[quote user="Mr Carrow"]its going to be so tough for either of the Murphey boys to break into the team, but they both have a great oppertunity tomorrow, one of them needs to put in such an excellent performance that they really give Chris Hughton something to think about![/quote]

He will send them out on loan first, you can bet on it.

No one has mentioned Francombe, still have high hopes for him even though he is injury prone

Elliott Bennet will be our next best RB, leaving RM and SW to cover rb and CB.