Sign in to follow this  
Kangaroo Court

Becchio

Lovely little touch to Howson for the fourth goal - he''s a natural. I wonder how many points we''d have now if he''d been given more a chance instead of persisting with Kamara.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing (the cynic in me had the same thought), you might be right, but to be fair he might have been ineffective, and Kamara did play a lot of those games on the right.

It was an energetic, skillful and battling cameo from him today, doesn''t look like a player unhappy with being at the club.

Hope he gets a decent chance next year.

Apparently Becchio and Hughton had a fall-out, hopefully that''s all in the past though. I think Becchio has something to offer us, he can clearly score a goal or two too.

Saying that, Kamara did OK for us

Problem is he plays in the same positio as GH, where as Kamara was often played wide.It would have been nice to see them both (GH and Becchio) in a 4-4-2, with Snodgrass and Pilks providing crosses.We could try this next week at citeh, now that we have nothing to lose!

You decided all that from one touch?  Moron.[quote user="Kangaroo Court"]Lovely little touch to Howson for the fourth goal - he''s a natural. I wonder how many points we''d have now if he''d been given more a chance instead of persisting with Kamara.[/quote]

Ref 89 wrote.........You decided all that from one touch?  Moron.

So offensive. Why?

I wouldn''t place much stock in rumours of a spat between Hoots and Becchio. I know for a fact that our Luciano is a genuinely lovely human being, blessed with great patience. He got a chance yesterday and we saw a very encouraging glimpse of the future.

I also wouldn''t place much stock in the idea of Holt and Becchs up front together. That was tried earlier in the season and it didn''t work, simply because they are too similar.

Herein lies one of the reasons why he''s had to wait behind Kamara.

Kamara is a fundamentally different kind of player to Luciano. Kei is a powerhouse athlete, Becchio is more in the Grant Holt mould (but possibly better). I''m not saying that Becchio (or Holt) don''t have strength and power, its just not their principle attribute.

A more important reason for Kamara''s inclusion is down to our situation over the last few months and the different characters of Becchio and Kei.

You will struggle to find a nicer man than Becchio. However, as we all know, it is basically impossible to find someone that emanates such remarkable positivity and energy as Kei Kamara.

It was his athleticism and his character that gave the team a lift at an important point in the season. Becchio couldn''t have done this in the same way, so had to wait.

However. Becchio raises an interesting question. Will Holt be here next season when we already have his replacement?

Rhiadd wrote the following post at 13/05/2013 5:49 AM:

Ref 89 wrote.........You decided all that from one touch? Moron.

So offensive. Why?

I agree, unnecessarily offensive ............... but it was a stupid comment!

Im hoping that Becchio will really start to push Holt for his place to bring out the best in both of them, I thought that the link up play between Howson and  luciano was superb and to to be honest is the kind of thing that Wolfswinkle will want next season. That said Holt was back to his best and will be hard to dislodge if he is able to maintain his form. I really wouldnt write Becchio off just yet though, he has the potential to be a really good asset for us and we saw a nice glimpse of some intelegent play.

As, I think that it was Becchio who also won the all-important header, his contribution was excellent. So, all-in-all. his performance was very useful. I hope that we retain his services for next season, as I think that he could be a useful player alongside RvW.

Difficult to see how Hughton is going to keep RVW, Becchio and Holt (and Hooper?) happy next season playing one up front. I think he''ll keep Holt for his leadership qualities but he needs to rethink how he rotates the squad and utilises his subs.

Kamara is a different type of player to Becchio but I am surprised he hasn''t featured a bit more, from the bench at least to replace Holt in games.

He''s not the quickest but has a good touch, wins headers & can finish

The whole Becchio thing was certainly a bit of a mystery for us fans to work out. He was Hughton''s signing yet after a couple of early gos he sank without trace.

However i''ve concluded that the answer lies in Kamara''s short loan agreement and his instant impact. Because the clock was always ticking on Kamara''s loan and the need for a decision about keeping him, Hughton needed to work out if Kamara would be a valuable long term addition to the squad. For Becchio as a permanent signing, that decision wasn''t needed. So when Kamara came on and made such an instant impact with both his personality, demeanor and performances, it was probably the right thing to do to keep using him and see if he really could be as valuable as he appeared to be. As it happened, what became clear was that he was really more of an impact player and had some obvious limitations in terms of outright talent. Maybe he would have improved but if we had signed him, what with RvW on the way and Becchio waiting in the wings and no doubt one more due in the summer, he wouldn''t have justified keeping at this stage. Taking that decision and leaving out Becchio as long as we did might well have meant we lost out on some points. Tbh i think CH could have experimented much sooner with the Leeds mafia - Howson, Snoddy and Bechio  - because it seems obvious that they might have clicked really well together but i can understand what he was doing in terms of Kamara. It nearly cost us though!!

Given that Kamara had a hand in so many of the goals that we did score during his time here it could be argued that Becchio''s contribution may have been no greater. We are making this judgement about Becchio largely on the basis of one assist in a cameo appearance. Again, Kamara made a very similar impact in his first couple of apperances (changed the dynamic on his debut and scored that goal against Everton). Would Becchio have necessarily gained us any more points playing in place of Kamara?

For the record, I''m as surprised as anybody that Becchio hasn''t had more game time; I''m just playing Devil''s advocate as usual. These situations are never as black and white as people often make them out to be.

[quote user="NWC"]Problem is he plays in the same positio as GH, where as Kamara was often played wide.It would have been nice to see them both (GH and Becchio) in a 4-4-2, with Snodgrass and Pilks providing crosses.We could try this next week at citeh, now that we have nothing to lose![/quote]

True, but then that raises the question of whether Becchio should have been playing instead of Holt. If we were going to play two strikers the combination that made most sense was Becchio and Kamara, but I don''t think that was ever tried.