Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Now that Burley has quit Derby....

[quote]In terms of Burley potentially getting us promoted at the first attempt; how long did it take him to get Ipswich promoted when he was there? And, sure they had a stunning first season in the Premiersh...[/quote]

A classical lesson, in how to argue with no insults thrown about, we could all learn something from Lincoln Canary, well done mate!.

Can I just go back to something said by Herb - who wouldn''t employ Bobby Robson on the basis of him being the most successful manager in Ipswich history and one of the most successful managers in the English game ever - right...

Really backs up your comments on Wiz''s suggestions...

By the way Wiz - I''m with you on this one - let them call us names - Worthy is at best a Championship manager - Premiership quality he ain''t.   Not sure if Burley is either - but at least he plays a decent game!

Let''s just hope that Worthy doesn''t read these pages and see what a bunch of ungrateful, unloyal, armchair experts, who can do nothing but criticise, there are on here.

Worthy - the real supporters are 100% behind you.

[quote]First of all WORTHY MUST STAY. Look at Leeds United, Coventry City, Leicester, Nottingham Forest and the list goes on. All clubs have been relegated and have changed managers after an indifferent spe...[/quote]

Yes, but West Brom had the courage to dump Megson, and they survived!, Steve.  

[quote]Yes, but West Brom had the courage to dump Megson, and they survived!, Steve.[/quote]

Southampton had the courage to sack Steve Wigley...Ah yes, they went down too. So your point is?

Think before you post, 1st Wizard.

Worthington, a manager who took us from being threatened by relegation to a team that got to the Premiership. Had we not suffered all those injuries we would have probably stayed up. You claim that Burleys teams play good football. Fair enough but I remember when we won the 1st Division we were the best footballing side in the league and pundits were claiming how we were such a good team to watch because we played football the right way. I think you''ll find that any team who are threatened by relegation will NOT be playing pretty football. They will be going all out to get the ball forward to get a goal, or have everyone back to defend their lead. This is what we have seen over the last season. There were games where we played some very good football. You can''t say that we were awful to watch when beating Manchester United.

I personally have been critical of Worthington in the past, but you have to remember he''s only been a manager for something like 5 years. Burley has had nearly twice that so of course he''s going to have more knowledge in terms of tactics. When it is his fault we''ve failed then you can say so, but I feel that last season, our destiny was out of our hands because we had so many injuries. For 2-3 months we were unable to play our strongest team so you can''t blame the manager when he is restricted so much.

When you consider what he had achieved during his time at Norwich, little money to use and to take us so close to prem safety with a squad that had been badly affected by injury. I think you''re being very unfair to say that we should replace him with a manager who hasn''t done as well as you make out. Five years to get promotion from the playoffs, never automatic. One good season in the prem when his team had no injuries. A joke of a second season, with the signing of players who almost ruined the club. I think Ipswich had a lucky escape when you think that he looked to be taking them down another division.

Sorry for writing such a long winded post, but I needed to make my feeling known on this subject.

[quote]Southampton had the courage to sack Steve Wigley...Ah yes, they went down too. So your point is? Think before you post, 1st Wizard.[/quote]

My point was, that sacking your manager (at the right time that is!) can sometime works wonders. And West Brom didn''t go down!!.

See, wasn''t that hard was it!.

I''m surprised you couldn''t see it, but on the other hand, maybe I shouldn''t be!..............

Ditto before you post Campbell!.  

[quote]Southampton had the courage to sack Steve Wigley...Ah yes, they went down too. So your point is? Think before you post, 1st Wizard.[/quote]

Already replied to this on a duplicate post.

Really, you must think, before you post Campbell!. 

[quote]Worthington, a manager who took us from being threatened by relegation to a team that got to the Premiership. Had we not suffered all those injuries we would have probably stayed up. You claim that Bu...[/quote]

I''m with you on this one!! Worthy hasn''t been managing long and is still learning, but at the same time we, as a club, are going places! From relegation contenders to play-offs, to league champions!! He HAS made a difference and he IS a good manager! Even i feel he is a bit tactically naive at times but he has done some great things since joining! He best being signing hux and deano!!

There will always be critics of managers but the supporters of the club!! It''s ridiculous! We should be getting behind the manager, board and ALL players at the club! Its not like worthy has done anything to deserve this criticism! He got us to the premiership!! How many managers of late have been able to do that???!!

[quote]My point was, that sacking your manager (at the right time that is!) can sometime works wonders. And West Brom didn''t go down!!. See, wasn''t that hard was it!. I''m surprised you couldn''t see it, but...[/quote]

You can''t have it both ways...

You can''t say "getting rid of the manager worked for West Brom, it must be a good thing! We must sack Worthington!" to back up your point, when you fail to note, that in exactly the same scenario, we have seen a team (Southampton) relegated.

Another great example for you:

We''ve seen Gillingham and Rotherham change manager and still go down...when Crewe didn''t win a game for 20-odd matches, did they sack Dario Gradi? No, they showed LOYALTY (Something you continually bang on about) to their manager and a man who has guided the club out of trouble and in to a reasonably successful period in the past. (Sound familiar?) Nigel Worthington took over when we were heading for Division Two and took us in to the Premiership, where we narrowly missed out on staying up...this fact seems to conveniently slip your mind...

George Burley plunging his club in to administration and getting them relegated, 4 points from safety, with a squad that cost 5 times as much as ours, also seems to slip your mind! Outrageous I''m sure you''ll agree. I haven''t even mentioned he didn''t even get them in to the playoffs the year after...and when he was eventually sacked, Ipswich lay in 19th position in the First Division...

See what I''ve done there Wizard? In a few short paragraphs; Taken your flimsy ''point'' and dismantled it...and this seems to be a common occurrence, does it not!

It''s funny watching you back-pedal time after time to justify your baffling opinions. If you talked sense and actually thought about what you were saying, you wouldn''t make the ludicrous claims in the first place, nevermind trying to back them up with drivel afterwards!

Logic and sense seems to be alluding you 1st Wizard.

This is my last post on this whole subject, long may Wizard continue to post in ignorance and without clue of what''s going on 

[quote]You can''t have it both ways... You can''t say "getting rid of the manager worked for West Brom, it must be a good thing! We must sack Worthington!" to back up your point, when you fail to note, that i...[/quote]

Oh, thats a shame matey, I was enjoying that!.