Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Now that Burley has quit Derby....

Lets get him to replace old inept Worthy!.

Okay, okay, before the death threats arrive at my monitor, hear me out, George Boy has played at the highest level in the game.

He advocates football played on the deck, and passing football at that.

He has a great understanding of tactics, and use''s substitutes effectively, in fact, he''s everything useless Nigel''s not!.

As far as I know, he''s available NOW!.

Come on City, make my day, sign him up now.

You know it make''s sense!.

[quote]Lets get him to replace old inept Worthy!. Okay, okay, before the death threats arrive at my monitor, hear me out, George Boy has played at the highest level in the game. He advocates football play...[/quote]

You are right Wiz that burley is a great manager and worthy of inclusion on the list of the worlds current greatest 50 managers (headed by the PSV manager). 

However the timing is wrong.  Very few managers have a very very positive impact in the first season and despite my criticisms of Worthy he does now how to be successful in the fizzy pop.  Balancing the potential of burley against the turmoil such a change creates at a club I think city are best placed for promotion by retaining a stable ship and letting Nige do his stuff. 

I may regret that in 6 months time but today stability has to be right for the club.

OTBC    

Worthy won''t resign or be sacked this summer (quite rightly in my mind)

Now if we actually had a vacancy then I think he would be a very stong contender (although the last one who spent time down the road got us into heaps of trouble)

But we don''t and won''t for a while so he''ll get snapped up somewhere else.

Ah ! so old Wiz is trying his remorseless "sack Worthy"  vendetta from another angle !

Well I have to say I have always admired the style of football that Burley''s teams play, in fact when he was in charge of Ipswich it was some of the most attractive around.

But whilst I would be happy to have him as our manager I wouldn''t want it to be as a result of sacking Worthy. If Nige leaves of his volition then so be it but not otherwise.

If Burley was to step in now I feel it would take a few seasons for him to build a team of his requirements and suitable to gain promotion. For  more immediate success I still think Nige is our best bet.

If there was to be an ex-Ipswich manager to take control of Norwich City, he''d certainly be top of the list...

No need to worry though, Worthington will get the job done.

Administrator''s: Please kill this post!  This is not the forum to discuss the merits of old Scum gaffers tainting the Yellow and Green hues of Carrow Road! 

Wiz: Have you been taking those pain killers again?

Unbridled Genius.

Lets slag Green off next season if he stays and drop him as he "obviously" doesn''t want to be here.

Lets welcome George Burley with open arms after his 20 years at Portman Road.

(The amount of stick Trevor Putney got when he signed in 1986ish).

Surely in wizards world Burley should be loyal to Ipswich until the day he dies and wouldn''t come near Norfolk.

Altogether now.... "Cheer up George Burley......etc,etc"

Now let me get this right, 1st Wizard wants NW to ''sod off'' because he''s being loyal to the club

Curious!

By the way Millwall have stated interest in Burley & are looking to make announcement next tuesday.

[quote]Worthy won''t resign or be sacked this summer (quite rightly in my mind) Now if we actually had a vacancy then I think he would be a very stong contender (although the last one who spent time down the...[/quote]

totally agree, he got us there, he can get us back.

i know most of you are championship manager regulars, but lets not jump the gun.

we were trying to escape relegation from div1 the year he took over, and last seasaon we were doing the same thing for a different league.

keep him, he deserve to have his chance.

just support the players/manager. Worthy got us promoted and deserves the chance to do it again. Hes achieved more than Burley has at Derby. Why would you sack Worthy?

[quote]Unbridled Genius. Lets slag Green off next season if he stays and drop him as he "obviously" doesn''t want to be here. Lets welcome George Burley with open arms after his 20 years at Portman Road. (...[/quote]

Why would Burley have any loyalty to the Binners Nobby?. They sacked HIM, and I''m not sure about this, but isn''t a lot money still owed him, I''ll apologise if I''m wrong on that.

As older posters will confirm, I''ve never hidden my admiration for George, ever!, and I''d have him at City tomorrow, that''s how much faith I have in him.

So he was binner, so what?. Only a Norwich fan with a pea sized brain, would be so childish as to hold that against him.

I want what''s best for City, and George Burley is the best man for us, in my opinion.

And that''s not me just stirring it!.

I honestly believe George could get us back in the Prem at his first attempt next year. I don''t have the same confidence with NW.

Flick Fleck - Permission to call Wiz a turncoat?!

In all seriousness, this is a silly, silly post and should be treated simply as yet another attempt by Wiz to get a rise out of us all...

Worked too, heh!

[quote]Flick Fleck - Permission to call Wiz a turncoat?! In all seriousness, this is a silly, silly post and should be treated simply as yet another attempt by Wiz to get a rise out of us all... Worked t...[/quote]

Listen here Evil Monkey!.

I''ve disliked (Hate is too strong a word for today only!) the bin men for 50 bloody years, so don''t just say turncoat in my direction please, even in jest!.

And as you are a Newbie, I''ll be gentle, I''ve admired Burley as a player and a manager for many, many years, and I''ll never apologise for that.

If you can''t respect or see that, or you think I''m just winding posters up, then you don''t know football talent or me, my evil little friend!.

Wiz, perhaps a little explanation is needed for the "turncoat" comment - I was referring back to a post from yesterday where I defended you from what I thought was Flick Fleck calling you a turncoat, only to find I''d misread it and he''d said no such thing. Oh how we laughed...

What I don''t understand though, is how you can constantly slag off Worthy/some players, and actually mean it?! I was just presuming you were trying to start interesting discussions cos, lets face it, most of your posts do turn into just that. My mistake, I guess...

And whilst I accept that you are undoubtedly older and wiser than myself, and that your thousands of posts gives your opinions more weight than that of others, I just happen to disagree with you on this one (and many others), but I don''t think I''m the only one.

Freedom of speech is one thing that makes these boards so good, and I respect everyone''s right to express their opinion and the ensuing debate that undoubtedly follows.

What I''m saying is, keep it up Wiz, just don''t expect everyone has to agree with you. Which I''m sure you don''t anyway...

Please don''t hex me?!?

I really dislike the atitude that "I''ve watched  city for a long long time" so I  know more than you,also the "you are only a newbie" so I''ll be gentle with you ,how condesending! Wiz I''m not that far behind you age wise  but I  don''t feel I have the right or inclination to belittle fellow posters .You seem to have forgotten that this is a forum for peoples opinion where all are equal,or is it the case that when you become a late-middle aged guru your opinions are more equal than others .

Back to the original thread, why would we change managers for one who signed dodgy contracts that put his club into administration??

[quote]I really dislike the atitude that "I''ve watched city for a long long time" so I know more than you,also the "you are only a newbie" so I''ll be gentle with you ,how condesending! Wiz I''m not that far...[/quote]

Nolegs:

You do me great mischief!. At no time (read my post again!) did I say to Evil Monkey that he was ONLY a newbie. Newbie yes, ONLY no!.

I was demonstrating, that my loyalty to Norwich, could not be questioned, not after 50 bloody years, and as he was relatively new, he did not have that information about how loyal I consider I''ve been to NCFC!.

We were discussing loyalty, not my superiority!. as you seem to suggest.

You''ve also suggested to posters, that I consider my views are better than their''s. Again you are being very unfair to me. If I thought that ludicrous theory of yours was true, then you know, I would have the courage to say it!.

The one thing I do do, is speak my mind, and shame the devil, by suggesting I think otherwise, says more about you, then it ever does about me, my friend.

I''m very dissapointed.   

Yeah what a great idea Wizard, you''re a genius.
Lets replace Worthy (who signed Dean Ashton for 3m in the Premiership) with Burley (who signed Finidi George for 3m in the Premiership)

We really need to pad the team out with old washed up carthorses on our return to the Premiership, don''t you think?

Plus hes ex scum, which makes him tainted goods in my book. Wouldn''t have had Bobby Robson for the same reason.

I too am a big george burley fan wiz, as I was studying in nottingham
and doing some work at the local derby paper I realise just how
badly messed up gregory left that club. the debts were crippling,
players were sold and he was left to work with youngsters. first miracle
he kept them up, then he turned them into a solid team pushing
for promotion a remarkable turn around. In addition to his
amazing job getting IPSWICH so high in the premier.

that a manager of his quality is available is so good
for some lucky club, but bad time for us. worthington, and
by no means am I a fan, deserves this season. when he first got
the job we had to question if he could steady the ship
and he did that so well. then whether we could push for promotion
and we could, then could we take the final step and after
a little stutter we went up in style. then the b ig one could
nigel cut in the premier, well we went down on the last day.
the jury''s still out on that, but you have to state that he
deserves another chance to show what he can do. this is the
big test can NIgel push us to that extra level. we talked of
coming up, to go down, to come up stronger, like a charlton.
now is the time to see if that''s where were headed and there''s one
only man who should be allowed to try and finish what he started
and that man is nigel.

it''s case of perhaps right man and just the wrong time.

[quote]I too am a big george burley fan wiz, as I was studying in nottingham and doing some work at the local derby paper I realise just how badly messed up gregory left that club. the debts were crippling, ...[/quote]

Alas, I fear your closing words of ''right man, wrong time'' is all too true Rich.

Oh, bother and damnation and stunted dwarfs!.   

Worthy out - Burley in?

This is THE Worthy that took us from the bottom of Div 1 to the Prem on v.little money.  THE Worthy that signed Hucks, Ash, Leon etc.

THE Burley that got the Binmen relegated in spectacular style and go bankrupt.

Words fail me sometimes. 

Isn''t it a coincidence that within hours of George Burley resigning from Derby that he is linked with Millwall ? Of course the circumstances of Burley leaving Colchester for Ipswich left a lot to be desired.

That apart, it would be a sad day if Burley was even considered for the manager''s job at Norwich ( Worthy In! ) following his starring role in the ITFC Administration fiasco.

Oh right - that makes sense - replace a manager who has worked small miracles at Norwich with a man who was largely at fault for jeorpardising the long term future/success of Ipswich!? I watched Norwich lose 1-0 at Northampton in the cup two seasons ago - to win the league after the start to the season says it all. Worthy''s ambition has such a lot to do with persuading players to sign. They don''t just come to Nowich and think - yep this looks a good club and sign - it takes a manager with skill, desire and drive to sell the club to them. Would Ashton, Hucks and Helveg be here under other managers???

[quote]Oh right - that makes sense - replace a manager who has worked small miracles at Norwich with a man who was largely at fault for jeorpardising the long term future/success of Ipswich!? I watched Norwi...[/quote]

Loosing at Northampton!, really says it all doesn''t it?.

Thanks for that one Alex. But don''t forget to add relegation this year to the list of his great achievements as well. 

1st Wizard - on an earlier posting I stated that I don''t know if you are an idiot or not.  The pendulum is definately swinging towards yes with your comments on Worthy, who got us into the Prem and will do again this season.  He may not get every signing and tactical decision right, but overall he has been a huge asset to NCFC and I for one hope he is in place for many years to come.

I don''t think you can really blame Worthy for relegation. Injuries and financial constraints played a huge part in it. If some of the players had turned up against Fulham and we''d survived we would all have been lauding Worthy for his management. Basically that means one game has made him a bad manager???
I agree that losing to Northampton was Worthy''s fault. Playing two teenagers up front against large physical defenders was not a great idea! However I admire how Worthy turned things around after that and his shrewd signings. I also admire his decision to continue playing attractive football last season!

p.s. my post was not a personal attack on yours - it was my opinion for all those who think Burley should be in the hot seat!

In terms of Burley potentially getting us promoted at the first attempt; how long did it take him to get Ipswich promoted when he was there? And, sure they had a stunning first season in the Premiership, but he managed to turn a UEFA Cup-winning team into relegation fodder inside a year! How come Worthy gets catigated for getting us relegated but the sun shines out of Burley''s behind because his team survived a single season longer?

I agree that he would be a decent contender for the job (in footballing terms, I mean...history/loyalties aside), but only if we had a vacancy. I do not believe in releasing a manger after four years of relative success (considering where we were before his arrival) unless he looks like messing the club up spectacularly. The board have faith in him and he has their backing, their relationship appears to be good and the club has enjoyed a sustained period of stability and [relative] prosperity under his management.

I say give Worthy a chance. Management merry-go-round does no good for anybody.

First of all WORTHY MUST STAY.  Look at Leeds United, Coventry City, Leicester, Nottingham Forest and the list goes on. All clubs have been relegated and have changed managers after an indifferent spell  back in the Championship.  Have any of these clubs gone back up  ....Answer NO.

It is ludicrous to even mention that Worthington should not be manager of Norwich City.  The man is Norwich City and everything we should want in a manager.  Since relegation in 95 how many managers had tried and failed to get us back to the Premiership. 

A little history lesson

In no particular order. . . . .

O Niell (Although blatantly not his fault)  Walker (Great first time round but a mistake to reappoint)

Megson, Rioch (square peg in round hole, lol) , Hamilton (The best thing he did was to bring Worthy to Norwich)

Worthington takes over as manager after HAmilton was sending us to Div 2.  We survive only just (Brian McGoverns priceless goal) The following season he takes us to the Playoff final. We then miss out on play offs season after. One season after that we are crowned champions after seeing off all comers.  A fruitless ending to an exciting premiership finale ensued, having taken it to the wire.   Masterminded victories over Manure and Newcastle in the process. 

In the 5 years (Boxing day) Worthy has been here he has taken us from being a middle of the road Division 1 team (heading toward D2 at one STage) to an established top 6 six team and has won us a championship.  Okay he has presided over a relegation campaign but I can not see anyone other than Worthington getting us back in the Prem.

Please can people just give him the chance to do his job.  Look at the players he has bought in as well.  He gave green his chance, Shackell is now looking good, Danish International Thomas Helveg, Swedish International Jonnson, Adam Drury, Safri, McKenzie, Huckerby and the increasingly phenomenal Dean Ashton. One hell of a squad in the fizzy league with the right additions. 

Granted worthy has made some shocking signings but lets give him the benfeit of the doubt.  I do not want to see George Burley at Norwich as he has precided over some terrible signings (Counago, George, Sereni) and administration.  This is what everyone who bleeds Norwich City has worked hard to avoid since Delia saved and would be a Mike Walker (2nd time round size mistake) and a millions steps back. 

The only manager who can replace Nigel Worthington would be another Northern Irelander and he left because of Robert Chase.  Should we ever need another manager we can post who we would like to replace worthington but not when we have a strong squad and an excellent manager in place.  

Lets all get behind the squad next season, get behind worthington and push the lads back to the premiership WHERE WE WANT TO BE . . . . . and not fall into the trap of sacking a perfectly decent manager when the going got tough (West Brom stuck with Megson and they went back up !!!)

OTBC

Morty