Sign in to follow this  
ReadingCanary

Grant Holt

One more season, he gives a different option if needed. Okay he may not be first choice after the summer sort out. However he could be valuable against the physical sides next season.

[quote user="ref89"]THANK YOU for all you have done Grant.  Too old for next season, but good luck.[/quote]Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes laugh at your mental disability !!!

Holty going nowhere, proved today once again his worth. Any nay sayers should be ashamed, he is a massive player for us and will be next season as well.

Triple POTS, goal scorer, leader and Club Legend.

Holt rose from obscurity with Norwich City Football Club and each owe the other massively.

For me the nightmare scenario was seeing his outstanding career with us decay in a season where, for whatever reasons he has seemed unhappy.

In recent weeks a player from the MLS who we had no intention of signing was given precedence over Holt who repeatedly showed his frustration by coming on as a sub and dabbling with red cards.

Today, push came to shove. Becchio and Jackson have hardly featured so it had to be Holt and crucially, to support him he had a player who can make him tick in Wes. We had to win so had to play our only match fit striker and most creative player.

Holt gave his usual pep talk in the huddle.

If Holt leaves us at the end of the season he will do so having clearly regained match fitness and scoring. And as a cameo, Ted McDougall style he celebrated a goal before putting it in the net. His fourth season ends with team success.

If he does leave he thankfully leaves in a manner befitting his service to Norwich City.

Really not hard to work out why he''s looked so frustrated this season - playing in a less attacking style to Lamberts gung ho style has yielded fewer goals this season. I don''t blame him for that whatsoever, it''s to be expected.

His game is not about pace so being 32 in this day and age means diddly squat, I just hope the team is set up to get the best out of him and RvW next season (and I think it will be, I believe Hughton will get that side of things sorted over the summer).

He''s the complete NCFC legend in my eyes and really hope he''s not going anywhere soon.

If he went now he could leave with our best wishes. If he left last season we all said our 15 goal a season striker had to be replaced, well this season he has been worked out.

Rvw is our starting striker and we need another. Holt will be third or fourth choice behind becchio as we move forward. But I do not have a problem with him leaving. I do believe he has had his time And forget the system, I just think he has shown he is not good enough. If we didn''t have so many holes he would def be left out, if we can get some £££ for him then fantastic but I do not know who would take his wages or pay a few million. I think a transfer value would be small with is diminishing return on performances and goals.

But for many who say he warrants a stay after that to partner rvw, I totally disagree. This summer we get in genuine quality that is a level or two up from what we have in our team, I think we are looking for new calibre.

Sorry Smooth but I just can''t agree with your ''forget the system''. A more defensive minded system will not be beneficial to any striker - how can it be?. And ''behind Becchio''? How do you know this as fact?. Grant was on it yesterday because the team played with intent, simples. He''s still got it, it''s there and I hope he proves you and a few of the other doubters wrong next season. If he then fails in a more attacking system I''ll hold my hands up - but I bet my bottom dollar he won''t.

Not sure if this has already been mentioned elsewhere, but sitting in the N & P yesterday when Norwich had free kick on edge of penalty area, Holty was in the wall with the WBA defence making a good nuisance of himself by fondling and pinching the bums of the opposing players. This is why he is such a legend, he will go to extreme lengths for his club, he cannot be allowed to go.

Holt has really let himself down this season. He''s attitude has been poor and some of his media/twitter comments have been stupid. I couldn''t believe the way he acted last summer especially with the lambert saga. I personally lost a lot of respect for him and he himself put a massive burden on himself to deliver this season, which simply put he didn''t.

However....... On the odd occasion we saw the old Holty. Passion, work rate, and a shear disrespect to so called better players. Yesterday was old holt - hungry and a point to proof. The fan loved it and for 90 minutes everything in the past was forgotten.

It''s pretty simple for me. If holt puts in that sort of effort week in week or then norwich city will reep the reward and he will stay. If not then we should take any cash we can get and let him go. It''s really down to Holts head and where Hughton can determine if yesterday was one last hurrah or proof the big man still has his mojo.

I''d love to see Holt stay and play with better players such as Wolfy. But another season like this could really destroy the relationship between Holt and the fans.

"Fcuking immense today.

Playing against him must be like being run over by a bus."

ricardo, that''s the man in a nutshell!

It''s easy to forget what he can do, but when he plays like that you wouldn''t want anyone else leading the line.

I hope he can get things resolved over the summer. Still too good to let go.

Delighted to see such a convincing performance from him yesterday, he worked so well with Wes and the petulance that has become too prominent in his game recently wasn''t there. He looked like his old self again and if he continues that form will be a big player for us next season .

I wondered if he was saying goodbye when he came off for becchio - just seemed to have that feel for me.

Really hope he stays and plays as he did yesterday. Only worry is I get the impression he likes being top dog (as strikers should) and he clearly won''t be top of the pecking order next season...will that mean a return to the petulance we''ve all seen recently?

Some people are really daft, if ever you need proof to see if he is still up to it, then yesterday gave it. I have no idea why some people seem to think he will leave, why would he? To go to a smaller club and get paid less? There is all this talk of Celtic, but not once has he ever seriously been linked, the Hooper deal was purely cash on the table.Holt will be here next season, he wants to stay and the club offered him a new deal under hughtons direction when he arrived. Frankly the idea of Holt and Wolfswinkle up front is very exciting!

Hughton has had all season to learn that to get the best out of Holt, Holt needs a strike partner or to be in the team with Wes.However, when Holt has played he has often looked a bit off the pace and fortunate not to get some red cards. Yesterday, Holt was back to his best. He was captain fantastic.

A ridiculous debate IMO. Holt is everything good about NCFC in recent times and he hasn''t lost the hunger to succeed. He''s talked publicly about the struggle to adapt this season - but adapt he has and has had pivotal roles in many a game that have been vital to our survival.

22 ish goals in 2 seasons in the PL for a player recently plying his trade in leagues 1 and 2? A fantastic return. He also seems a fantastic person to have around all other players - youngsters must look up to him and he always talks about the close knit squad, something which he probably has a big part in.

The way we''ve set up this season was always going to limit holts way of playing but the endeavour has always been there - and everyone''s allowed (and has had) a bad game along the way - so,e people are expecting too much of our captain every single game.

With the arrival of RVW, Holt knows our way if playing will change (it has too, with or without CH), and I''m sure he''d want to be a part of that. Imagine the goals those two can create for each other. For me, exciting times ahead.

I see the green and yellow specs are firmly in place.The arguments against my point about Holt being too old are simply ludicrous.1. Comparing him to Schole, Giggs or Lampard is nuts.  They are world class players and exceptions to the rule.  Holt is neither of those.2. He was immense YESTERDAY.  But yesterday is not all season, that was one game.  He has been immense on about three occassions and not scored enough goals.  Don''t blame Hughton, that would just further demonstrate your lack of brains.  The evidence is there for all to see, he has lost a yard of pace and some sharpness.  By the end of next season he will have lost another.Our problem all season has been a lack of pace and sharpness in front of goal.Hughton is right, apart from being on the beach yesterday, we have to look at West Brom as "the next step".  Would Holt have got in their squad this season?  No.Sentimentality is the only reason to keep the guy.To head off the "impact sub" argument.  Holt has been "impact sub" on several occassions this season, and not made any impact at all.  So why, if we are trying to get players of the quality of Wolfswinkel, Lukaku etc in for next season to get up another level, would we keep a player who has none anymore?We need to get rid of about ten, including Holt, Tierney, Fox and Jackson, bring in half a dozen of better quality and promote a couple of the kids to the first team squad.  Holt was the past, and thank god for him, but still it is the past now.Take the specs off.

[quote user="ref89"]I see the green and yellow specs are firmly in place.

The arguments against my point about Holt being too old are simply ludicrous.

1. Comparing him to Schole, Giggs or Lampard is nuts.  They are world class players and exceptions to the rule.  Holt is neither of those.

2. He was immense YESTERDAY.  But yesterday is not all season, that was one game.  He has been immense on about three occassions and not scored enough goals. 

Don''t blame Hughton, that would just further demonstrate your lack of brains.  The evidence is there for all to see, he has lost a yard of pace and some sharpness.  By the end of next season he will have lost another.

Our problem all season has been a lack of pace and sharpness in front of goal.

Hughton is right, apart from being on the beach yesterday, we have to look at West Brom as "the next step".  Would Holt have got in their squad this season?  No.

Sentimentality is the only reason to keep the guy.

To head off the "impact sub" argument.  Holt has been "impact sub" on several occassions this season, and not made any impact at all.  So why, if we are trying to get players of the quality of Wolfswinkel, Lukaku etc in for next season to get up another level, would we keep a player who has none anymore?

We need to get rid of about ten, including Holt, Tierney, Fox and Jackson, bring in half a dozen of better quality and promote a couple of the kids to the first team squad.  Holt was the past, and thank god for him, but still it is the past now.

Take the specs off.

[/quote]

LOL!!!

[quote user="ref89"]I see the green and yellow specs are firmly in place.

The arguments against my point about Holt being too old are simply ludicrous.

1. Comparing him to Schole, Giggs or Lampard is nuts.  They are world class players and exceptions to the rule.  Holt is neither of those.

2. He was immense YESTERDAY.  But yesterday is not all season, that was one game.  He has been immense on about three occassions and not scored enough goals. 

Don''t blame Hughton, that would just further demonstrate your lack of brains.  The evidence is there for all to see, he has lost a yard of pace and some sharpness.  By the end of next season he will have lost another.

Our problem all season has been a lack of pace and sharpness in front of goal.

Hughton is right, apart from being on the beach yesterday, we have to look at West Brom as "the next step".  Would Holt have got in their squad this season?  No.

Sentimentality is the only reason to keep the guy.

To head off the "impact sub" argument.  Holt has been "impact sub" on several occassions this season, and not made any impact at all.  So why, if we are trying to get players of the quality of Wolfswinkel, Lukaku etc in for next season to get up another level, would we keep a player who has none anymore?

We need to get rid of about ten, including Holt, Tierney, Fox and Jackson, bring in half a dozen of better quality and promote a couple of the kids to the first team squad.  Holt was the past, and thank god for him, but still it is the past now.

Take the specs off.

[/quote]

Oh dear.[:S]

After his interview at the weekend blaming CH tactics for his lack of goals, I would not be surprised to see him leave.  The only deal that I can think that would make logical sense is a swap deal involving Hooper.  He will score goals in that league, Celtic can afford his wages and its only and hour and a half down the road from his home. I hope he stays, but wont be surprised if he leaves.

[quote user="ref89"]Take the specs off.

[/quote]Probably best if you put on the specs, might help you see better.

[quote user="priceyrice"]In the interview it sort of sounded as if he suspects the manager/board were looking to move him on, or have at least attempted too.

I thought his response was a bit odd, but the guy does seem to do a great job and making us believe he is going to leave.

he also stated he expects there to be a lot of speculation around him leaving.

* I ended my love affair with Holt last summer and unfortunately he hasn''t done enough this season to win it back, however i thought his performance today and against Villa showed the Holt of old, as-well as his technical inabilities.

[/quote]

What interview please so that I can find it on iplayer?

With you here *