Sign in to follow this  
NCFC for life 1993-

How much will Hughton have to spend?

Great feeling to wake up this morning knowing we are safe! My mind started thinking straight onto the summer and the fun that is the summer rumours about who we will sign! How much do people think the manager will have to spend? Is 20 million a good estimate?

i''ve heard we have 30 million to spend. not sure if that included the RVW deal or not. Either way the club wont want that figure to be out in public as every team would drive the price up if they thought we had a few extra quid to spend.

20-30 million I would think.  But that''s not actually that much when we need 6 higher quality players.

Budget wise, including wages I''d reckon we''ve spent close to, if not more than, (including RvW) £20m on new players this season.I wouldn''t be surprised if Hughton has at least £30m to spend.

Got to be at least £30m.

It was around £20m the first season.

and around similar for the second.

This time we have clear debts and more prize money.

RVW definitely came out of this seasons budget, I would imagine we have 30m to spend, I also believe 6m of that will go on Hooper.

Well in the latest set of financial figures we turned over £75 million with a profit of £13.5 million and a reduction of our debt. With the new tv deal the revenue will be over £100 million. I would imagine our transfer budget could be as much as £35 million, but it is worth noting that current players wages will most likely be renegotiated due to yet another season of Premier League football.

I think the days of the manager being given the money are long gone - certainly at City they are.Players are indentified by the scouts and then looked at in more depth by the club. With City their attitude and behaviour count for much as the club will be looking to ''develop'' them. It is usually known at an early stage what the cost of buying out their contract is and i''m sure there is a fair idea of what contract will need to be offered. It is often only then that the manager is brougt into the process.It should be remembered that the fees quoted in the press are usually nowhere near the true cost and are mostly figures conjured up by the media for the readership.What is unusual about our current situation is that any monies available will be coming once again from gat, sponsorship and TV money NOT sprevious sales of our players.What will be the biggest budget and what will be uppermost in the clubs minds is the wage bill. Any commitments made this summer will have to be met for the next two, three or even four seasons. That will determine an awful lot of our recruitment.

[quote user="City1st"]I think the days of the manager being given the money are long gone - certainly at City they are.

Players are indentified by the scouts and then looked at in more depth by the club. With City their attitude and behaviour count for much as the club will be looking to ''develop'' them. It is usually known at an early stage what the cost of buying out their contract is and i''m sure there is a fair idea of what contract will need to be offered. It is often only then that the manager is brougt into the process.

It should be remembered that the fees quoted in the press are usually nowhere near the true cost and are mostly figures conjured up by the media for the readership.

What is unusual about our current situation is that any monies available will be coming once again from gat, sponsorship and TV money NOT sprevious sales of our players.

What will be the biggest budget and what will be uppermost in the clubs minds is the wage bill. Any commitments made this summer will have to be met for the next two, three or even four seasons. That will determine an awful lot of our recruitment.

[/quote]

Whilst that''s true at many clubs, I think Norwich are still a bit old school and get Hughton to identify many of his own targets, alongside Chester of course. Without a Director of Football type role at the club I''d imagine Hughton, Collingwood, Trollope and Chester all have a say in transfers, with CH getting the final word.

McNally (I think, prehaps Bowkett) said that last summer Hughton and Chester kept on mentioning Van Wolfswinkel as a possibly signing so it seems that was driven from the management as well. And there is no doubt who was instramental in bringing Bassong into Norwich (rejecting QPR in the process).

Personally I''d like to so a Director of Football put in place to provide some stability should Hughton either be sacked or poached from the club, it has been very effective at WBA who have had to deal with a few managerial changes since returning to the Prem and have consistently brough in good, younger players that compliment their exisiting squad well.

I think somewhere between £30-40 million if take into account wages and agents fees. It will be the largest transfer kitty that we have ever had in our history, the lack of debt and running on a profit only helps make spending less of a gamble, we probably will make a little bit of income on players sales, James Vaughan and Barrnet hopefully both producing £1 million and above transfer fees. That said, I dont think we will use it all unless justified. We have an incredibily buissness savy board at the moment, and we most certainly wont be flashing the cash and buying everyone on the market like QPR. I expect quality over quantity and Wolfswinkle might not even end up as the record signing. I think we need another centre back, Striker, creative Midfielder/playmaker and Right winger. I think the average cost of any signings will be between the £3.5 and £7 million mark... we are looking for a step up in quality and that isnt cheap. I wouldnt be suprised if we brought in our first ever £10 million + player. Though again, if thats how much a target costs then I expect it to be worth it as it were as we arnt the club to throw serious money like that around.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="City1st"]I think the days of the manager being given the money are long gone - certainly at City they are.Players are indentified by the scouts and then looked at in more depth by the club. With City their attitude and behaviour count for much as the club will be looking to ''develop'' them. It is usually known at an early stage what the cost of buying out their contract is and i''m sure there is a fair idea of what contract will need to be offered. It is often only then that the manager is brougt into the process.It should be remembered that the fees quoted in the press are usually nowhere near the true cost and are mostly figures conjured up by the media for the readership.What is unusual about our current situation is that any monies available will be coming once again from gat, sponsorship and TV money NOT sprevious sales of our players.What will be the biggest budget and what will be uppermost in the clubs minds is the wage bill. Any commitments made this summer will have to be met for the next two, three or even four seasons. That will determine an awful lot of our recruitment.

[/quote]

Whilst that''s true at many clubs, I think Norwich are still a bit old school and get Hughton to identify many of his own targets, alongside Chester of course. Without a Director of Football type role at the club I''d imagine Hughton, Collingwood, Trollope and Chester all have a say in transfers, with CH getting the final word.

McNally (I think, prehaps Bowkett) said that last summer Hughton and Chester kept on mentioning Van Wolfswinkel as a possibly signing so it seems that was driven from the management as well. And there is no doubt who was instramental in bringing Bassong into Norwich (rejecting QPR in the process).

Personally I''d like to so a Director of Football put in place to provide some stability should Hughton either be sacked or poached from the club, it has been very effective at WBA who have had to deal with a few managerial changes since returning to the Prem and have consistently brough in good, younger players that compliment their exisiting squad well.

[/quote]A very interesting theory, though its about getting the right man.... Martin O''neil anyone?

Last season spent 37m on wages, estimated 41m this year plus 8m on transfers in summer so total 49m. Thought I heard extra 20m TV money plus 10m as debt now fully repaid so total wage and transfer budget of 80m for next season. RvV impact not clear.

"Whilst that''s true at many clubs, I think Norwich are still a bit old

school and get Hughton to identify many of his own targets"
I would say that City have actually been in the forefront in this case, and the board has a far greater role than most clubs. Something that caused a bit of ''disquiet'' with another manager. You will nte how few (virtually none) players have been signed by other clubs, other than to move definitely downwards and how few off field problems there have been since the new board took over.Certainly the manager and coach will have a view and a contribution but they tend now to be more concerned with the day to day running of things rather than the longer view - nuch as with Snodgrass.As to O''Neil I think he has a bit too much of the Reknapps about him and would be seen, if only on that basis, as a bit too ''slippery'' for the club.

[quote user="T"]Last season spent 37m on wages, estimated 41m this year plus 8m on transfers in summer so total 49m. Thought I heard extra 20m TV money plus 10m as debt now fully repaid so total wage and transfer budget of 80m for next season. RvV impact not clear.[/quote]We were paying about £10m of the final debt off in this summer weren''t we - or is that what you meant? Not really sure what the deal is with that final debt tbh lolWe''re probably losing a fair few players this summer, which is interesting. All about evolutionProbably cut ties with Camp, Ayala, Barnett, Ward, Tierney, Fox, Korey, Adeyemi (unless we see how he fares in the Championship on loan), Surman, Jackson and VaughanWe lost Lappin and Martin too without replacement. Can see another CB in, a LB (plus Garrido), CM x2, LW, ST

I have to say that I think the whole idea of a Director of Football is misguided at best and lunacy at it''s worst.The more decisions you take away from the manager, the harder you make their job, and if the guy in charge wants players A, B and C, but get''s given D, E and F instead, he''s not likely to be happy and they may not even fit in with his overall plans which causes further issues.Outside of signing potential younger players who are likely to be loaned straight out (such as Chelsea did with De Bruyne), leave the job to the manager to identify targets and ask for players, not some other guy who may be on a completely different (and possibly opposing) wavelength to the guy who has to make it all work on the pitch...

I think something that we have to remember is that whilst we are indeed getting a bigger chunk of money this year, the same applies to everyone else. It''s a case of spending well, and its something that we seem to have done pretty well on most occassions. I''m hoping that whatever the cash figure is, we spend it wisely - that is to say, no panic buys or over inflated egos etc etc. Exciting times ahead I think.

but any cash made available is likely to be for both windows for next season, so if £30m is available, maybe £10 will be held back for January.

It is a bit more complicated than that Indy, if only because the net is cast much wider  - and there is far greater risk given the some involved. Hence most of it having been taken out of the managers hands.Having said that I cannot really see a role for a director of football - rather like having a director of flight on an aircraft. I doubt it was the managers decision that we signed Ryan Bennett as he was heading (on the motoway) for Swansea, likewise with SnodgrassThe decision will be how many players will be for the future and how many for the immediate/straigt into the first team. We are as a club in rather bunchatered waters with a developing acadamy that could produce first team players within a couple of seasons and also having numerous players out who are developing. A fair old amount of juggling to do and some of which will determine who we sign this summer ie do we carry on subsidising Butterfield or cut our losses and use the money on an incoming player ?