Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v WBA

Many apologies again for lateness but I''m sure you''ll agree that on an afternoon such as this Peroni quaffing takes priority. It''s been a tough few weeks with a combination of results that has made many doubt my Xmas prediction that all would be well. On the walk up to CR there were more than a few worried faces and a lack of confidence was palpable all around. However, Ricardo had a dream last night in which Snowy the cat appeared at the window and gave me a knowing wink. I took this as a good omen.City kicked off facing the Barclay End and were very quickly into their stride. Snoddy had a couple of runs down the right and there were a couple of corners from the left but the delivery was again frustratingly poor. The first 15 minutes seemed to be played entirely in the WBA half as City were continually winning every loose ball. Wes and Johnny Howson particularly looked in good form as City kept on the front foot. A cracking shot from Pilks was beaten away on 25 minutes but no City player could pick up the rebound. Within a minute however the crowd was raising the rafters as Holt''s centre was headed on by Bennett and Foster did well to parry a close range effort by Wes. This time the loose ball fell to Snoddy who despatched it into the roof of the net as CR errupted. You could feel the confidence surge through the team and a very noisy crowd were certainly playing their part. It almost became 2-0 just before the break when Wes turned and shot from all of 30 yards. A yard to right or left and it would have been in but Foster did well to touch it over.It was a happy halftime interval but with the news that others involved in the relegation struggle were all doing well it was obvious that the next 45 minutes were make or break. There was certainly no slacking off from City as they upped the pace again and Pilks really ought to have netted when Holty did brilliantly to hold Olsen off and head down invitingly into his path. A scuffed effort brought groans from the crowd and when Snoddy broke clear but delayed his pass a fraction too long you could feel a few doubts begin to creep in. Thankfully we didn''t have to wait much longer as just past the hour mark Foster came out to clear as Holy was worrying Olsen over a through ball. The WBA players got in a tangle and Holt had all the time in the world to usher the ball into an empty net.You could feel a release of the tension from both players and crowd as City started to stroke the ball around. Snoddy won a free kick on the right and his curling centre was met by Bennett and McCauley and I think it was the latter who got most of the ball. In any event the ball lodged in the net and suddenly everything was coming up roses at fortress CR. West Brom tried to push forward but were restricted to long range stuff that John Ruddy could have easily fielded it in a wheel chair. It was obviously time for Tetty and Chris Hughton duly obliged when he and E.Bennet came on and  Wes and Snoddy left to rapturous applause with 13 minutes left. All was now sweetness and light but you could be forgiven for asking where this team had been hiding for the last couple of months.With 5 minutes left it was Holty who was withdrawn. The big man had been immense again and had given Olsen a right good going over. On came Becchio and it was fitting that he should be involved in the Coup de Grace as in the final minute he won a header then deftly flicked a pass back to Johhny Howson who capped an excellent game with a strike of stunning quality.There were so many superb performances today that it''s hard to call a MOM. Holty was just Holty and everything a captain should be but I''m going to go for Ryan Bennett who looked brilliant today and Lokaku seldom got the better of him. Also Johhny Howson, it''s got to be his best performance of the season and should have rammed some of the unwarranted criticism down more than a few throats todayForgive me now if I gloat in a few told you so''s. Many doubters have jumped on my back recently but events have panned out to show that what I predicted was right all along. We are safe and it will be 3 from Southampton, Villa, Wigan, Reading and QPR who go down. Ricardo may no longer have Snowy to point him the way but the little feller still has a way of popping up from time to time.[;)]

Brilliant report Ricardo, and a fine way to cap off the end of our home campaign. I hope you enjoy a Peroni or six, you''ve duly earned them!

Thanks for another fine report, Ricardo and I never doubted your predictions for a minute, you wise old bird. Enjoy your well-deserved Peroni, and perhaps a saucer of milk by the back door tonight?

Thanks for that Ricardo. Lovely report as ever.

And well done for keeping the faith! I also never doubted we''d be safe, and thankfully we are.

Time for everyone to look forward to next season and enjoy being a NCFC supporter once again!

Thanks Ricardo.

Bennett was immense today - he has been a rock when I was really worried about the prospect of him facing Benteke and Lukaku after Turner got injured. Holt was a real pain to the WBA defence all afternoon as well.

[quote user="Tarquin"]

Tarquun doesn''t like egotistical use of the third person.

[/quote]Having been right all along, Ricardo''s ego is swelling by the minute[:P]

[quote user="Tarquin"]

Tarquun doesn''t like egotistical use of the third person.

[/quote]

at least spell your own troll name correctly. shameful.

Good report as always Ricardo. I''ve always enjoyed your reports with Snowy during my time lurking around these forums, When others are getting over excited or despondent at results your reports always seem to put things into perspective.It''s also nice to see Snowy mentioned on such a great day for our club.I''ve been behind Hughton from the start, though I''ll admit for the last few weeks i''ve been feeling pretty desperate for our safety to be secured by today.Much has/will be made of our "dire performances" for much of the season, but with one game to play we are higher than 8 other teams, almost half of them. Dread to think how bad their seasons have been! Despite everything we''ve ground out points even during the bad times, and after today we can finally relax and look forward to next season, and I really think it is a case of looking forward to it.I''m sure no one will begrudge you your peroni.

[quote user="Semblance of Reason"]Good report as always Ricardo. I''ve always enjoyed your reports with Snowy during my time lurking around these forums, When others are getting over excited or despondent at results your reports always seem to put things into perspective.It''s also nice to see Snowy mentioned on such a great day for our club.I''ve been behind Hughton from the start, though I''ll admit for the last few weeks i''ve been feeling pretty desperate for our safety to be secured by today.Much has/will be made of our "dire performances" for much of the season, but with one game to play we are higher than 8 other teams, almost half of them. Dread to think how bad their seasons have been! Despite everything we''ve ground out points even during the bad times, and after today we can finally relax and look forward to next season, and I really think it is a case of looking forward to it.I''m sure no one will begrudge you your peroni.[/quote]Thanks SoR, yes it''s been a lot tighter than it should have been. Apart from the top half dozen teams there really isn''t much between the rest. It will be another hard struggle next season but I am hopeful that now the debt is cleared we can make steady improvements and secure our premier status longer term.

Spot on as always Ricardo.

Was I the only one who felt JR - great as it was to have him back - really still does not look fit ( dodgy kicking, getting to feet gingerly after going down to collect a low ball?)

Onwards and upwards!

[quote user="killiecanary"]Spot on as always Ricardo.

Was I the only one who felt JR - great as it was to have him back - really still does not look fit ( dodgy kicking, getting to feet gingerly after going down to collect a low ball?)

Onwards and upwards![/quote]

I thought he looked fine - the only time he was slow toget up I think it was just to slow the game down when WBA were getting a few chances

Tthanks as always for the report Ricardo. I was a able to get over to FCR for this crucial game and obviously it was a fantastic day. Agree too that RB looked immense at CB again

One thing I''d add was how effective Snoddy and RM were down the right where we gave their LB a torrid time. A bit more composure from the many good positions we got to and it would have been even better

done my wifes birthday party today and missed everything :/  

this is the first place ive come to see a report. as always.  thanks ricardo.

Top notch as always Ricardo :) So chuffed, and Snowy''s cheeky wink made me smile. It''s been a fantastic day all round!

Cheers Ricardo, am far from the fine city just now, so had to rely even more on your unbiased reporting.

[;)]

[quote user="morty"]

Cheers Ricardo, am far from the fine city just now, so had to rely even more on your unbiased reporting.

[;)]

[/quote]Work has to come first Morty but it''s a shame you had to miss such a vital match. The crowd were brilliant and the atmosphere was electric. A great game to round off a really tough few months for club and supporters alike.

Cheers Ricardo, great read as usual... I loved the game obviously, but like Morty, I have had to miss a few this season...working abroad. Just glad to be able to say I am a fan and I always will be...in the face of those on this forum slagging Hughton off and moaning about this and that all the bloody time otbc!

Just like to add my thanks for your excellent reports over the season.

I have to be honest I was really worried on my way to The Carra yesterday. I couldn''t see where a win was coming from but, as you say, it''s frustrating that they produce a performance like that after many poor games. Pushing forward, closing down. Howson playing in his preferred role, the great Holty back to his best because of early service to the big man. Marvellous.

The club is really in a magnificent position now and Hoots has the opportunity to show what he''s really about next season. Now for an enjoyable summer!

Yes Ricardo, unfortunately work comes first, and luckily I had a crane breakdown to attend to, to distract me yesterday!

I made the last two home games, and the atmosphere was better than it was all season.

On the flip side I sat and watched the last time we got relegated from the Prem in Qatar!

Apologies Ricardo, im delighted to be proved wrong and that we are staying up, fab report by the way as usual :)