Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

RVW Gamble

I wonder if there was any truth in the clause. I guess we won''t have to find out now!

It wouldn''t surprise me if the club made the gamble though and told us a half truth of him joining us but potentially being loaned out if we had gone down.

I''m glad we''ve taken that gamble and got our man. It would have been 10 times harder to start looking for a player of his reputation if we''d just started now.

I just cannot see any logic in calling it a gamble.

With McNally in the driving seat of negotiations, I would never think of him taking a punt on a few million quid of his employers money. I would envisage every possible scenario would have been worked out and costed, before anything was signed.

It has certainly worked out to the best of those possible scenarios

Meant to add, after ''anything was signed'' - without compromising or financially (to it''s detrement) committing the Club in any way

Whatever the truth of the matter, I for one am once again wholly reassured that we have hard nosed businessmen in charge of the affairs of our football club rather than the whimpering apologist that was in tenure through some of this clubs bleakest years.

It looked like an excellent business decision at the time in getting the RvW deal through at that price and terms. It has also proved to be an excellent business decision in not paying well over the odds for a striker in the January window (I wonder if we would have made the same decision had City gained say 6 less points?). It has also proved an excellent decision in awarding Holty a new contract as opposed to letting him go to another club. Could City have replaced last season’s goals / work rate for the same money. Unlikely.

And all made when City have gone through the season with a huge ££ of cash due back the banks most of which presumably would have been for the playing budget.

And who has been behind all these decisions?

Mcnally denied it on twitter so it wont have been true, frankly he wouldnt but his reputation on the line or face the backlass from the fans if that was at lie.Thats not to say we wouldnt have sold him in January, but thats different to a relegation claus. Mcnally is a very good and no messing about style buissness man, he wont be played around and be drawn into games; we''ve seen that with the CMS incident and Barry Frys games, with Leeds the summer we went up with Snodgrass and then with Celtic and Hooper. Any deal done will be competely on our terms and we wont be pushed around by anyone... thats why I think its laughable that some consider Becchio a panic buy, you think Mcnally would sanction a panic buy. no

McNally and Hughton both said that it was rubbish and there is no way we would loan out our star striker if we got relegated, we would keep that squad together to get us back up, like Newcastle did.

[quote user="birchfest"]Mcnally denied it on twitter so it wont have been true, frankly he wouldnt but his reputation on the line or face the backlass from the fans if that was at lie.Thats not to say we wouldnt have sold him in January, but thats different to a relegation claus. Mcnally is a very good and no messing about style buissness man, he wont be played around and be drawn into games; we''ve seen that with the CMS incident and Barry Frys games, with Leeds the summer we went up with Snodgrass and then with Celtic and Hooper. Any deal done will be competely on our terms and we wont be pushed around by anyone... thats why I think its laughable that some consider Becchio a panic buy, you think Mcnally would sanction a panic buy. no[/quote]Spot onI can''t see how fans can somehow imagine that the board would sanction lies or half truths etcThe stuff about RVW came about because information was leaked from elsewhereWhat it does suggest, or even confirm, is that the club has not only identified the players it will be bringing in but most likely are in advanced talks and agreements with those players.

[quote user="birchfest"]Mcnally denied it on twitter so it wont have been true, frankly he wouldnt but his reputation on the line or face the backlass from the fans if that was at lie.Thats not to say we wouldnt have sold him in January, but thats different to a relegation claus. Mcnally is a very good and no messing about style business man, he wont be played around and be drawn into games; we''ve seen that with the CMS incident and Barry Frys games, with Leeds the summer we went up with Snodgrass and then with Celtic and Hooper. Any deal done will be competely on our terms and we wont be pushed around by anyone... thats why I think its laughable that some consider Becchio a panic buy, you think Mcnally would sanction a panic buy. no[/quote]

You are correct, Birchie. At the time of the January transfer dealings I said that I''m sure McNally is a very good poker player. He didn''t blink and panic buy because he probably felt we had enough engine to see us stay up this season. And yet he carried on the background dealings with Sporting and landed our man at a much lower price than if he''d come in January.

That''s smart business.

I agree with City 1st in that I''m pretty sure the Board haven''t been sitting on their heels over the past few months and I would bet that they''ve got deals already lined up.

I think we''re in for some very nice Continental surprises this summer.

I like McNally and think he has done a lot of good for this club, but I don''t understand a lot of this blind infatuation with him. I think there were issues with Lambert''s contract and he went far too cheaply and the approach(es) for Hooper were a farce. I also think that Becchio was absolutely a panic buy.

surprises aplenty i hope. i would be very surprised if any incoming continental player has been on the radar of us, the fans. though i hope the vanGinkel rumour is true. an interesting three and a half months ahead of us. i just hope most of the major business is done early, just to spare our fingernails in August.[;)]

quote user="kiwigreenandgold"]I like McNally and think he has done a lot of good for this club, but I don''t understand a lot of this blind infatuation with him. I think there were issues with Lambert''s contract and he went far too cheaply and the approach(es) for Hooper were a farce. I also think that Becchio was absolutely a panic buy.[/quote

You do remember Neil Doncaster don''t you?

What ''issues'' do you think there were then?. How would you have played it all, if you were CEO? Hooper''s approaches a farce? Why is that?

Do you think we should have kept Morison instead of getting Becchio? If so, why is that?

[quote user="crabbycanary"]

quote user="kiwigreenandgold"]I like McNally and think he has done a lot of good for this club, but I don''t understand a lot of this blind infatuation with him. I think there were issues with Lambert''s contract and he went far too cheaply and the approach(es) for Hooper were a farce. I also think that Becchio was absolutely a panic buy.[/quote

You do remember Neil Doncaster don''t you?

What ''issues'' do you think there were then?. How would you have played it all, if you were CEO? Hooper''s approaches a farce? Why is that?

Do you think we should have kept Morison instead of getting Becchio? If so, why is that?

[/quote]

I can''t speak for kiwigreenand gold, but as for Hooper we now know it wasn''t that Celtic wanted an absurd price, but that the player wasn''t for sale. We know this because McNally said so at the end of April. Someone on twitter complained that we should have paid up to boost our chances of avoiding relegation and McNally said that wasn''t the problem:"His club wouldn''t sell him."Which was hardly a surprise. Eighteen months left on his contract and they had Juventus coming up in the Champions League. Why would thet sell? Totally foreseeable that Celtic might want to keep him. Yet we were still trying to buy this player who wasn''t for sale on transfer deadline day, making it all but impossible to switch to another target.