Sign in to follow this  
SwindonCanary

Sunday v WBA

OK Maybe WBA were in ''end of season'' beach mode, but putting that aside, I felt we played very well. I loved the way we continually closed down on the opposition, working as a pack, also the full backs got forward a lot more, adding to the attack. But, why oh why, have we not played like that all season ?

[quote user="swindoncanary"]OK Maybe WBA were in ''end of season'' beach mode, but putting that aside, I felt we played very well. I loved the way we continually closed down on the opposition, working as a pack, also the full backs got forward a lot more, adding to the attack.
But, why oh why, have we not played like that all season ?
[/quote]

My thoughts too swindoncanary. To say WBA were at the beach does knock the performance our lads put on. WBA clearly were not concentrating 100% but we still had to play well to get the goals.

That timeless frustrating phrase springs to mind ''If only...''

"But, why oh why, have we not played like that all season ?"

Perhaps because, like most of the bottom teams, we can''t?

[quote user="ron obvious"]"But, why oh why, have we not played like that all season ?"

Perhaps because, like most of the bottom teams, we can''t?[/quote]''We can''t'' is the operative phrase because Hughton tells the team that ''we can''t''. We did it last season with an inferior squad so of course WE CAN !!!

Not after Leicester we didn''t. We were pretty poor for a while last season.

[quote user="Herman "]Not after Leicester we didn''t. We were pretty poor for a while last season.[/quote]We were poor mostly as we were already pretty safe much earlier in the season and took our foot off the pedal, but at least we didn''t go the whole season accepting easy draws against inferior sides.   

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="ron obvious"]"But, why oh why, have we not played like that all season ?"

Perhaps because, like most of the bottom teams, we can''t?[/quote]''We can''t'' is the operative phrase because Hughton tells the team that ''we can''t''. We did it last season with an inferior squad so of course WE CAN !!![/quote]

Poor deluded soul.   I''ve got news for you paul - WE DID - and on enough occasions to be safe from the drop before the last game of the season.  If we could play well every game and get the points some of you think we should have we''d be champions league.     We are mid table with several other clubs.  The whole of the bottom half of the table has been at risk in the last few weeks.  That is the pressure cooker the manager and team have been playing in.   The fact that we could turn out that kind of decisive performance against WBA is a credit to everyone - team, manager and fans who got behind the team to make a cracking occasion.  

If Hughton suggested we can''t beat opposition teams he wouldn''t have lasted 5 minutes managing at Blue Square level.

We will never know of course, but I think our chances of staying up by playing the same style of football as last year were minimal.

As evidence I would suggest that the previous incumbent has gone to a well established club & committed most of his budget on buying the best striker he could afford.

The margins are small, but it is worth noting that his new team (which I would argue has more genuine quality players in it than ours) is below us, & still in danger of relegation.

[quote user="ron obvious"]If Hughton suggested we can''t beat opposition teams he wouldn''t have lasted 5 minutes managing at Blue Square level.

We will never know of course, but I think our chances of staying up by playing the same style of football as last year were minimal.

As evidence I would suggest that the previous incumbent has gone to a well established club & committed most of his budget on buying the best striker he could afford.

The margins are small, but it is worth noting that his new team (which I would argue has more genuine quality players in it than ours) is below us, & still in danger of relegation.[/quote]I''m not saying that am I  !!!    JEEEEEEEZZZZZZZ

"paul moy""Herman "Not after Leicester we didn''t. We were pretty poor for a while last season.

We were poor mostly as we were already pretty safe much earlier in the season and took our foot off the pedal, but at least we didn''t go the whole season accepting easy draws against inferior sides.   

Sorry but I don''t agree. The Spurs game settled the nerves but it wasn''t until the Arsenal game that I felt really safe. Do you remember the Blackburn, Liverpool and Man City games or do you conveniently forget.

''We can''t'' is the operative phrase because Hughton tells the team that ''we can''t''

Sorry, I''m genuinely confused. What did you mean??

"Not after Leicester we didn''t. We were pretty poor for a while last season"wheras in reality we were noteven by pluckng that ''arbitery'' date out of the air we managed 12 points out of 13 games - add in the game before and it gives 15 points out of 14 which would put us on 41 pointsor maybe a more logical place would be a quarter of the season (last nine games) which would give 11 points and a season total of 47 points ... which is what an exact average for the seasonit also  conveniently ignores the win at Spurs and the draw at Arsenal hmmmmm............pretty poor  ?

[quote user="ron obvious"]''We can''t'' is the operative phrase because Hughton tells the team that ''we can''t''

Sorry, I''m genuinely confused. What did you mean??[/quote]

Well, try reading the whole thread rather than just plucking hold of my

comment, then it should be clear. The poster that I replied to was

asking ''why can''t we play like that all season (ie: attack)'', and I was simply saying because the manager tells the players

not to.  

Yes City 1st, pretty poor. The last third of the season, or thirteen games after Leicester the stats were 3-3-7 +15 -25.

And three of those points were against Villa, who were already safe and on the beach*.

* I know how much you love that cliché.

Hmmmmmmmmmm, not that great is it?

oh dear, we were also already safe (and so also supposedly on the beach) - but we won ... how odd

"The last third of the season, or thirteen games after Leicester the stats were 3-3-7 +15 -25"I''m sure that makes sense somewhere, but not here I''m afraid

3 wins, 3 draws and 7 losses with 15 goals scored and 25 conceded giving a goal difference of -10.

I''m presuming that''s correct of course, but it''s hardly rocket science to work out.

Thanks monty. I thought that would make sense to most footy fans.

"I''m presuming that''s correct of course, but it''s hardly rocket science to work out."But it adds nothing to the debate.

Goal difference is only of any relevance if the points are level, which is not in question here.The figures show that if you select  the last quarter, or last third of that season we were not poor but were average for that season. So debunking this myth - one put out by certain folk with an axe to grind against the club.Three points against Villa are dismissed because it was a suppposedly a ''one off'' against at team who it appears were not at Carrow Road that day but on the beach, whilst the ''one off'' of the 6 goal defeat against Man City is conveniently ignored.it should be onvious to anyone that trying to draw such sweeping conclusions from such a narrow field is never going to be of any genuine worth - but that isn''t the point. Who cares how dirty the stone is when you want to chuck it at the club ?

Going to start playing the binner card soon?

What some of us are trying to show the Hughton outers,is that it wasn''t all that rosy for a large part of last season either. This season hasn''t been fantastic, and Hughton hasn''t helped but Lambert struggled as well.