Sign in to follow this  
Herman

Howson's goal...

Where would you put his goal in the top City goals of all time?

Personally speaking it may just sneak into the top three, just behind Fashanu and Crofts.

Bit early doors, but the more I see it the more I realise what a real beauty it is.

In terms of skill and technical ability it was great, but for a spectacle, I love the out-of-nowhere long-rangers, so Safri''s goal v Newcastle would rank higher for me.

Made in Leeds for the Premiership ;-)

It looked fantastic from the lower Barclay, on TV later was a great goal, good movement and link up between Becchio and Howsaon.

Best game from Howson in a City shirt IMO.

[quote user="Indy"]

Made in Leeds for the Premiership ;-)

It looked fantastic from the lower Barclay, on TV later was a great goal, good movement and link up between Becchio and Howsaon.

Best game from Howson in a City shirt IMO.

[/quote]

Agreed, a lot more confident on the ball, passing was better and what a goal.

Finally, people have realised Jonny Howson is an ATTACKING MIDFIELDER, all that berated him early on this season couldn''t understand he was being played out of position, and I hope you are all eating humble pie this morning!

Howson and Ryan Bennett, two of the younger players in our team, but how refreshing in times of pressure and anxiety, they step up and lead the team.

Funnily enough there seems to be larger amount of people saying I told you so than beforethe goal... Either way I''m chuffed to bits Mr.Howson is getting the attention he deserves!

Its a shame it has taken until the last 2 home games of the season but in those last 2 home games Howson has finally shown signs of hitting the form he showed at the end of last season and that perhaps he can kick on and become a lynchpin for us in the midfield.

I thought his energy and running yesterday (and for most of the Villa game) was superb and I have tended to be quite a harsh critic of his in the past. Its clear that its when bursting forward and playing with attacking intent that he really comes into his own. I hope. therefore, that yesterday will give him the confidence to get forward and have a crack at goal more regularly in future just in the same way that i hope Hughton has learnt that you get the best out of our team if you take off the shackles a bit. I know that West Brom were not at their best and probably have their foot off the gas but there is no doubt our players look more comfortable when they are allowed to take the attack to the opposition a bit more than they have been allowed to for a lot of this season.

I really really rate Howson. He''s been excellent in the past few weeks.

More specifically, Howson operates better against less formidable opposition. I.e WBA Villa etc. He seems to get overrun for the bigger teams where I think Hoolahan is a bit better at retaining the ball.

[quote user="Nicko"]I really really rate Howson. He''s been excellent in the past few weeks.

More specifically, Howson operates better against less formidable opposition. I.e WBA Villa etc. He seems to get overrun for the bigger teams where I think Hoolahan is a bit better at retaining the ball.[/quote]

Agreed. Howson was excellent. But, as yesterday showed, it''s not a choice between Howson and Wes. The "Howson or Wes" debate is false. Both can play in the team, Howson as attacking midfielder and Wes off the main striker. Howson scored, Wes got two assists and game so close to scoring himself on several occasions (the run up to Snoddy''s goal, the long shot saved by Forster).

The team''s attacking potential was transformed yesterday, despite being almost the same side that''s played perviously, by (1) playing Howson as an attacking midfielder, not holding next to BJ, whilst also starting Wes; and (2) Giving the fullbacks freedom to go forward; by the look of it they''ve ben instructed not to go beyond the half way line in previous games; and (3) by the confidence John Ruddy seems to give the back line. And, in fairness, (4) by facing a WBA side who were on the beach.

easily Howsons best game of the season, and probably his best in a Yellow jersey. he was my MOM yesterday, but i must mention Wes. i have criticized him a fair bit, and rightly so in my mind, for his performances this season. but yesterday reminded me of his league 1 performances, he was back to his very best.

Chef Evans rocket vs Cardiff and hucks vs ham are two that haven''t been mentioned yet that would be above howsons in my list. It was a beaut of a strike but probably only in my top 10, not top 3 or 5.

Good goal, nowhere near my top 3, but still a very nice goal.

I feel it ought to be pointed out that Howson HAS played in attacking midfield this season (as a direct replacement for Hoolahan a number of times) and has done absolutely nothing. Yesterday we played well - I''m not taking anything away from the side or from Howson - but WBA were truly awful.

Positive signs from Howson, but I''ll wait until he''s put in a decent performance against a side who aren''t already on the beach.

Good goal, nowhere near my top 3, but still a very nice goal.

I feel it ought to be pointed out that Howson HAS played in attacking midfield this season (as a direct replacement for Hoolahan a number of times) and has done absolutely nothing. Yesterday we played well - I''m not taking anything away from the side or from Howson - but WBA were truly awful.

Positive signs from Howson, but I''ll wait until he''s put in a decent performance against a side who aren''t already on the beach before getting too excited.

I''m not sure what people mean when they say Howson played as an attacking midfielder yesterday? For me, an attacking midfielder plays behind the striker but advanced of the midfield. Howson did not play that role yesterday. He operated as more of a box-to-box player supporting the attack when we had possession and dropping deeper alongside Johnson when we lost it. To be honest, I think this is the role Hughton has wanted Howson to play all season, I just feel that Howson was struggling to adapt to playing a different role that he had under Lambert (where he was used as a deep-lying playmaker). Obviously, Howson finally seems to have got the balance right and now looks incredibly comfortable playing as a box-to-box midfielder. He is neither the main playmaker or the main holder, he is the go-between which is a vital role.

Because at times we have lacked the bodies to hae two fit defensive midfielders (we only have two!).  IN a 4-4-2 like yesterday, he was obviously going to be the one getting forward.  But he could only do that because West Brom didnt care.  If you think he will burst forward like that when he is dealing with yaya Toure next week then you might need to wake up to the reality of his quality.

It was certainly up there. If you look at great City goals over the years many have been about sheer power or the element of surprise. This was pure, top class technique. With the neat 1-2 beforehand and the finish, it brought to mind some of Thierry Henry''s most famous goals for Arsenal. It was that good.

When it went in I think my exclamation of "Oh!! What a goal!!" Could be heard across the whole of Norwich

Jacksons 3rd versud Derby :P

Realistically though, Jacksons 2nd one that day never gets the praise it deserves.

Ashton vs Man City on that infamous Delia rant day.

Goss vs Leeds wins it for me though, even if Hucks vs Brum was the ''greatest goal ever'' in USA!

Great striker but no where near top three for me.

That Hucks Bham goal definitely up there.

I also agree with the Ched Evans striker against Cardiff, superb. Safri and Needegaard''s long rangers. Drury''s goal I think away to Leicester, may have been against someone else. Also big love for that chip Dion scored.

And another one that never seems to get credit, Hucks goal against Arsenal. Henry got goal of the month for scoring a goal against us that was almost identical, think it got goal of season nomination too. Same month as Safri''s stunner. But Hucks wasn''t even nominated for goal of the month, and i''m sure Hucks did even better as he took it past two players then curled it into far top corner, Henry just went past one player. I''m probably remembering wrong though.

After being reminded of some other classics (Steeno) I have reassessed my initial over-excited claim and pushed Howson''s down the list a bit. Still top ten. Still a fantastic strike.

[quote user="canarydan23"]In terms of skill and technical ability it was great, but for a spectacle, I love the out-of-nowhere long-rangers, so Safri''s goal v Newcastle would rank higher for me.[/quote]

Absolutely loved Saffers goal. Just outstanding and such a perfect strike into the corner and off the bar/post. Remember the sound of the woodwork as it went in. Poetry. That was when Given was immense too and the only place he couldn''t reach it