Sign in to follow this  
flying high up in the sky!

Never been in danger of going down.

Can''t understand the panic and pant wetting on here last few weeks. We haven''t been in the bottom 3 consistently and have never looked like relegation candidates. Hughton was allways going to have a tough first season as we had been riding on a wave the last 3 seasons and it''s allways hard for a new manager to come in with his own ideas and players. I agree that the football has been dire at times and a bit to negative but the must not lose mentality has got us some vital points this season and we could still end up higher than last season.. Hopefully next season we can get some more quality in and while being hard to beat also create more as we proved we can today. Hughtons yellow army NCFC!

I hope this is a tongue in cheek post. If we lost today, we would be as good as down. I''m ecstatic that we''re not tho.

The OP is actually correct. We hadn''t been in the bottom five since Oct 5th last year, other than a couple of days this week when matches were being played midweek. Now that most teams have played the same number of games we can see our true position, which is currently a very respectable 12th. I don''t think we have been in the bottom three all season, though I''m sure some moaner will correct me if I am wrong.

As good as down if we lost!!?

Have Wigan beaten Arsenal and Villa yet!? No!

Completely agree with the OP

We haven''t been in the bottom 3 since the start of the season and up until last week we were upwards of 16/1 to go down.

Stop talking shite!

[quote user="flying high up in the sky"]Can''t understand the panic and pant wetting on here last few weeks. We haven''t been in the bottom 3 consistently and have never looked like relegation candidates. [/quote]I don''t know what "relegation candidates" look like, but 2 wins in 18 would appear to fit the bill quite nicely.  Today was a massive result for us and I''m delighted with the performance and result, but if we had drawn today then we''d have been reliant on other results to ensure our survival and if we had lost today then we''d have needed to win at the Etihad, so I don''t see how you can say we were never going down. Easy to be wise after the event, of course, but it was much closer than you''d have us believe.

Anyone who thinks we weren''t in danger of going down needs a reality check.  I may be positive, but the reality of today was clear to everyone.  Win or we probably go down.   That''s about as close as it gets without actually being relegated.

We actually operate within a very narrow band of league positions, squeezed at both the top and bottom, so that a couple of wins or a couple of losses can result in a big rise or fall. Take today as a good example. Before play, all four of Southampton, Sunderland, Aston Villa and Fulham were above us. By 5pm, both ourselves and Newcastle had leapt over all these four teams. Before today''s games very few posters were saying these four teams were relegation candidates. It was either us or Wigan. In truth, we were never in the bottom five. The moral is don''t panic over single defeats and don''t get over-excited by single victories. It''s the results over a season that counts. 

Can''t see how anyone can think we weren''t in any danger, we were very much in the mix. The fact I (and I bet most of you) was nervous and worrying about relegation suggest it was close.If we had lost this game then we''d all be looking over our shoulders with the Arsenal and Wigan game, thankfully we won and we are all relieved and happy :)

No, not quite true. There was often a danger when we went through a run of injuries and bad luck with officials but it was always an unlikely scenario that would see us relegated.

[quote user="ricardo"]No, not quite true. There was often a danger when we went through a run of injuries and bad luck with officials but it was always an unlikely scenario that would see us relegated.[/quote]Yes, agreed it was unlikely, but I doubt you''d agree with the thread title:"Never been in danger of going down."Mild peril is still peril, right?

Had we lost today and other results go as they did, we would be sitting in 17th, and hoping like hell that Lambert would do us a favour by beating Wigan. As it is, we are now rooting for a Wigan win and breathing easy. Never in danger?...my a.se. We took it down to the line and made it...fantastic but to say we were not in danger is disingenuous to say the least.

[quote user="ricardo"]No, not quite true. There was often a danger when we went through a run of injuries and bad luck with officials but it was always an unlikely scenario that would see us relegated.[/quote]Well, after the Villa defeat ours odds of going down were 4/1, before the Wigan vs Swansea game. To be honest I only thought we''d get a point from WBA, meaning Wigan would have needed 4 points from 3 games. If Wigan hadn''t gone to pieces after being 2-1 up, it would have put more pressure on us.

We have been unconfident, shot-shy, predictable, unlucky at times yes, but toothless with a lack of quality this year.(2013)We were in a very real danger of going down. We weren''t in the bottom 3 before the last game of the season the last time we were relegated from this league, and it still happened.However - we are not the only team in this predicament. I think up untill last week, any of the bottom half of the premier league could have been relegated.

Great responses from some of the more positive posters on here, Ricardo, LDC and Mister Chops all admitting that we got a bit too close for comfort. I also don''t recall any of the said posters being unnecessarily vehement or personal in their opinion and I for one would like to congratulate them all for their thoughtful, positive postings. Compare them to a few, rude and aggressive idiots (often with 15,000 – 20,000 posts boasting a very narrow lifestyle) that have adopted a blind faith approach without giving others the time to express their fears.  

Well done City . Thank goodness West Brom bought their beach towels with them . I for one am enjoying more that a few drinks this evening to celebrate a great summer. I love Norwich City and always will . Ever since I first attended in 1972.

That’s me finished with the pink’un for a while now. It’s back to family, business, summer and all the other things that preclude me from getting over 15,000 posts. God bless you all.

Agree with the OP. Never in danger. Always odds on to stay up.

To many pant wetters on here.

They had better get used ot it - we have a few more seasons of the same while we establish pourselves.

Now Wigan...... They are in DANGER!!!!!

We have been getting nearer and nearer the drop week by week since Christmas, having not been in the bottom three is a fair point, but our trajectory has been downwards, you keep,heading that way and you eventually hit the bottom!

NorwichMick: Now Wigan...... They are in DANGER!!!!!

----------------------------------

Yes they are, it is likely they will be relegated. On the other hand this season they have achieved a greater honour than we have ever managed in our history.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]NorwichMick: Now Wigan...... They are in DANGER!!!!!

----------------------------------

Yes they are, it is likely they will be relegated. On the other hand this season they have achieved a greater honour than we have ever managed in our history.[/quote]In the grand scheme of things that might ring true for some but when they are back to gates of 7-8k on a cold Tuesday night in the Championship with no guarantee of ever getting back up, I wonder how many will feel the same. There''s lots of teams in the lower divisions who have won the cup, Coventry, Mboro, Preston, Forest etc etc. but most would give their eye teeth to be receiving £100 million and playing in the Premier League next season.Look at 1p5wich for instance, they''ve won cup and league in days gone by but would you swap it for what we have?I recently had an 1p5wich supporter say to me, "you''ll never be us". My answer was "Yes, that''s true, by the grace of God".

Ricardo: There''s lots of teams in the lower divisions who have won the cup, Coventry, Mboro, Preston, Forest etc etc. but most would give their eye teeth to be receiving £100 million and playing in the Premier League next season.Look at 1p5wich for instance, they''ve won cup and league in days gone by but would you swap it for what we have?

------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I had been there to celebrate it, yes. Nothing is certain in football, we could easily be relegated next season. It wouldn''t take much, just continuing the last half season''s form would do it. Would I take a relegation and FA Cup next season if you handed it to me now. Yes I would.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]Ricardo: There''s lots of teams in the lower divisions who have won the cup, Coventry, Mboro, Preston, Forest etc etc. but most would give their eye teeth to be receiving £100 million and playing in the Premier League next season.Look at 1p5wich for instance, they''ve won cup and league in days gone by but would you swap it for what we have?

------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I had been there to celebrate it, yes. Nothing is certain in football, we could easily be relegated next season. It wouldn''t take much, just continuing the last half season''s form would do it. Would I take a relegation and FA Cup next season if you handed it to me now. Yes I would.[/quote]25 yrs ago I might have agreed but the Cup''s have been devalued in comparison to the Premier League. I certain;y wouldn''t swap for it now.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]What a dumb post. Had we lost against WBA, our premiership status would have been out of our hands. Thankfully we put in a great attacking performance against a side already on the beach.[/quote]

Yes. Of course we were in real danger of going down. Ricardo has made the point  - quite rightly - that historically the bottom three in May will come out of those in (I think this is right) the bottom five in November/December. But there can alway be exceptions. And this season (which was not the case last year) we had two really poor teams falling off the bottom. That increased the chances of the fight to avoid finishing 18th being very congested, with some teams outside the mid-season bottom-five getting drawn in.Without reopening the debate as to WHY, that is what happened to us, and to some other teams, such as Fulham and Newcastle. That it will probably still be Wigan who go down (in line with ricardo''s thesis) doesn''t alter the fact that incrementally ourselves and those other "safe" teams got drawn into the struggle, whether by dint of bad luck, bad management or whatever.It is absurd to argue that we have not been in serious danger when we went into our penultimate game knowing that a draw might well see us relegated and a defeat would make it probable.

Ricardo: 25 yrs ago I might have agreed but the Cup''s have been devalued in comparison to the Premier League. I certain;y wouldn''t swap for it now.

------------------------------------------

Wigan just had the greatest day in their footballing history. If we were to win the FA Cup, it would be the greatest day in our football history.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]What a dumb post. Had we lost against WBA, our premiership status would have been out of our hands. Thankfully we put in a great attacking performance against a side already on the beach.[/quote]

Yes. Of course we were in real danger of going down. Ricardo has made the point  - quite rightly - that historically the bottom three in May will come out of those in (I think this is right) the bottom five in November/December. But there can alway be exceptions. And this season (which was not the case last year) we had two really poor teams falling off the bottom. That increased the chances of the fight to avoid finishing 18th being very congested, with some teams outside the mid-season bottom-five getting drawn in.Without reopening the debate as to WHY, that is what happened to us, and to some other teams, such as Fulham and Newcastle. That it will probably still be Wigan who go down (in line with ricardo''s thesis) doesn''t alter the fact that incrementally ourselves and those other "safe" teams got drawn into the struggle, whether by dint of bad luck, bad management or whatever.It is absurd to argue that we have not been in serious danger when we went into our penultimate game knowing that a draw might well see us relegated and a defeat would make it probable.

[/quote]Spot on analysis Purple. In the end any one of 7 or 8 teams have only survived by the very smallest of margins. The league has a very strange look this year with only WBA and Swansea comfortable in mid table. Apart from the bottom 2 everyone else is within 1 or 2 wins of 10th spot.If you look at last years final table you will see what I mean.

Graham Paddon''s Beard said:

Great responses from some of the more positive posters on here, Ricardo, LDC and Mister Chops all admitting that we got a bit too close for comfort. I also don''t recall any of the said posters being unnecessarily vehement or personal in their opinion and I for one would like to congratulate them all for their thoughtful, positive postings. Compare them to a few, rude and aggressive idiots (often with 15,000 – 20,000 posts boasting a very narrow lifestyle) that have adopted a blind faith approach without giving others the time to express their fears.  

Well done City . Thank goodness West Brom bought their beach towels with them . I for one am enjoying more that a few drinks this evening to celebrate a great summer. I love Norwich City and always will . Ever since I first attended in 1972.

That’s me finished with the pink’un for a while now. It’s back to family, business, summer and all the other things that preclude me from getting over 15,000 posts. God bless you all.

Succinctly put GP''s Beard......Very succinctly put......Enjoy your Summer break.....[Y]

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[/quote]Spot on analysis Purple. In the end any one of 7 or 8 teams have only survived by the very smallest of margins. The league has a very strange look this year with only WBA and Swansea comfortable in mid table. Apart from the bottom 2 everyone else is within 1 or 2 wins of 10th spot.If you look at last years final table you will see what I mean.[/quote]

ricardo, I am most definitely not an expert on game theory and probability, but I think there is an analogy from that area of "science". If you toss a coin in the air 100 hundred times the odds of it coming up tails every time are astronomical. But if, as it happens, the coin turns up tails 99 times then the odd of it being tails the 100th time are 50-50.And that is the relevant situation for those teams - including ourselves -  that were falling slowly downwards. At the start of the decline it seemed  improbable (literally) that they could get relegated. But by this last weekend it was as if the coin had come up tails every time. For it to come up tails again (as it could have done with us (if WBA had not been, as The Independent put it  been so "comically inept") was not at all unlikely.