Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

If Green Stays......

DROP HIM!.

He has made it perfectly clear, the he has/wants to go, so if his feelings are that strong, then he no longer has City''s best interest''s in mind!.

But there''s a fly in the ointment here, as of yet, no one wants him!.

Robert Green, a legend in his own mind. Let ''s get someone in who wants to be here......pronto.

My thoughts exactly, Wiz. I cant see we need to bring another keeper in, though. We have 3 potentially good keepers at the club, so let''s give one of those a go. I have thought for some time that Greeno would be lucky to find a Premiership club interested in him. Perhaps he should have looked a bit more deeply into the situation before making his mouth work. He could find himself in limbo now, depending of course on how Nigel reacts to his disloyalty. If I was manager I might drop him and try one of the other keepers.

[quote]My thoughts exactly, Wiz. I cant see we need to bring another keeper in, though. We have 3 potentially good keepers at the club, so let''s give one of those a go. I have thought for some time that Gree...[/quote]

Please show me the quote where Green says he does not want to play for City anymore because I have not seen it.

I have seen him say he wants talks about his future etc......  The worst quotes I have seen are the ones saying that PL clubs are interested and he COULD move IF CITY/WORTHY want to sell him.  Those quotes incidently were from his agent, not from Green.  Before anyone says his agent may just be saying what Greeno wants to, I ask you to remember Hux''s agent saying he would never sign for City.

I would also like to know in what way he has been disloyal?  Has he left?  No.  Has he even asked to leave?  No.  Has he said he will never wear a City shirt again?  No.  Has he siad he is too good for City?  No.  Has he indicated he will just wait his contract out so he can leave on a bosman?  No.  If you can prove me wrong I will gladly apologise and admit I am wrong but you cannot assume just because he wants to play in the Premier League that he has no loyalty to the club.  If he was disloyal he would not have signed a longer contract and he would be walking out of the door for free right now.

I get the strong feeling that City want him to move as Nigel wants the money.

Greeno''s been disloyal?

Has he? In what way?!?

He''s said all along that the ideal situation for him would be to stay with Norwich, and he''s never actually come out and said he "wants" to move, or put himself on the transfer list.

But the reality of the matter is that he''s a quality keeper pushing for an international place and the best place for him to do that is in the Prem.  If no one comes in for him, then what indication has he ever given that he wouldn''t be willing to stay with Norwich and simply try his hardest to impress, even in the fizzy league?

He''s no fool, he knows that James was still England No. 1 for a good 6 months after being relegated, before another team came in for him in the January, and he knows that he himself was selected whilst in Div 1... so he knows that its not going to finish his career and he''s not going to sit on the sidelines and sulk.

Greeno has always been loyal to this club and will undoubtedly remain so if he stays. But who can blame him for wanting to stay in the top flight when he quite clearly has the quality to do so. And why should we drop him simply for wanting that - is there a football player in the country, from div 1 down to the pub teams, who doesn''t want to play in the Prem?!?

Wiz, in some strange way I kind of like your posts, mostly cos I disagree with most of your comments and they usually lead to interesting debates... but this is getting plain boring!

No! Bad Wiz! No!

I agree! I am a big fan of Green and the talk about him on the messageboards is getting ridiculous!! He has been at the club all his professional career and has great respect for the club! The quotes in the media have been taken way out of hand by certain people and its wrong! He is only saying the truth in his quotes! If he was playing premiership football he would have a better chance of getting in the england squad...TRUE! And the quotes from his agent are nothing to go on! As said above, look at the comments from huckerby''s agent before he signed! The fact is that Green is still in the US on holiday and until he comes back nothing is going to be decided but i would be very surprised if green is not wearing a norwich shirt come next season!!

1. Who wouldn''t want to play in the Prem? And with it the England team?

2. He stood by us while we were in Div 1

3. Yes, lets drop our second most valuable player,just to show him one!!!

What a silly thing to do - has he come out and said that he wants to leave? No

[quote]Please show me the quote where Green says he does not want to play for City anymore because I have not seen it. I have seen him say he wants talks about his future etc...... The worst quotes I have ...[/quote]

Green clearly stated in the EDP, that to further his England career, he may/must have to look to a Pemiership team, for him to do this.

IMO, he didn''t to say anything till a deal was almost set up. The mere fact that he EVEN came out and said what he did, when he did, is IMO again, being disloyal.

Although you and me both seem to agree a lot of the time Saint my friend, on this, we differ as to the definition of being loyal to ones club.

I suppose its that, which makes these boards so bloody good, we can still remain friends afterwards, yes?.

Unbelievable.

I hope you will boo every Ashton touch next season as he is only using us for a jump to a big club.

And Shackell and Lewis.

If this was Big Brother you would be nominated for eviction this week. 

I beleive you are only here to stir things up and idiots like me but can''t help to react to your incessant drivel.

Get out and do something more useful than stopping me from working. 

[quote]Green clearly stated in the EDP, that to further his England career, he may/must have to look to a Pemiership team, for him to do this. IMO, he didn''t to say anything till a deal was almost set up. T...[/quote]

No Wiz if we disagree once that it!  We are friends no more

Seriously though, I really don''t think he has been disloyal as I keep saying, he signed a longer contract when he could have just let it run out and left for free.  I don''t think he will ask for a transfer and if he is here next season he will give it his all.

Most of the quotes released in the press are out of context and down to interpretation. 

Sorry Wiz but I can''t agree with you on this one mate.  Greeno, unlike Damo, still put in 100% the tail end of last season.  I''m sure that if no clubs came in for him, he would put in 100% for us next season.  He may want to leave.  Fair enough.  But if you use that arguement half the players in the first Div wouldn''t be played!  Greeno is a very good goalie and dropping him would just be cutting off your nose to spite your face.

[quote]Unbelievable. I hope you will boo every Ashton touch next season as he is only using us for a jump to a big club. And Shackell and Lewis. If this was Big Brother you would be nominated for evict...[/quote]

Nobby G: Somehow words like Big Brother, drivel and idiots seem to go hand in hand to me, I assume Big Brother is a TV programme, yes?.

I get so fed up about hearing how much greener (no pun extended) the grass is, with some of the team, that I''ll say what I like about players who don''t want to be at City no more, (Svenny and now it appears Helveg also, now seem to be in that sorry mob) that is the way I am!.

This is why Hucks is my hero, he publicly states, he ain''t going no where!.

As of today, Ashton, Shackell and Lewis want to play for City, so why would I boo them?, as so childishly put it!.

If you don''t like my posts, then guess what?, don''t read them!.

But I do feel strongly about this, I see this simply as a black and white issue, I''m a City supporter, If you don''t want to play for Norwich, stop taking the clubs money, and go and play somewhere else!.

[quote]Sorry Wiz but I can''t agree with you on this one mate. Greeno, unlike Damo, still put in 100% the tail end of last season. I''m sure that if no clubs came in for him, he would put in 100% for us next...[/quote]

Cutting your nose off to spite your face DD?, hmm, what just like your best man for the job did with Bentley?.

Sorry my friend, but I just couldn''t resist it!.     

this is ridiculous. He has a chance to be Englands number 1 and a first team premiership player. What do you expect him to do. You cant just get on at all the players for having ambition

Again, i agree with DD...i have to stop doing that!

The one thing i''m shocked about is that WBA now seem to be in for Green, surely if it was a toss between us in the championship, or WBA in the premiership he''s stick with us for another season wouldnt he??

I just cant see what he would gain from going to WBA, the only thing that they could offer that we dont is more money, and premiership football...

I guess that carrot of premiership football, might just be to much for Green to refuse.

If he goes then fair enough, the prem is where every player wants to be, but am i the only one who''d have a slight sour taste left in my mouth if he did go to WBA?

all of you, have you actually looked at it from Robert Greens point of view?

I would definitly have a sour taste in my mouth if he goes to West Brom! I don''t mind him going in to the prem to further his carreer but I want him to go to a big club, not one that''s likely to be bottom for most of the season!!

I dont blame Green for wanting out at this moment in time, but I just think he could have handled the situation better that''s all. As Wiz so eloquently put it, I only want players here who love the club, the rest can just F off!

[quote]Nobby G: Somehow words like Big Brother, drivel and idiots seem to go hand in hand to me, I assume Big Brother is a TV programme, yes?. I get so fed up about hearing how much greener (no pun extende...[/quote]

"If you don''t like my posts, then guess what?, don''t read them!." - All the hallmarks of a guy who''s losing an argument. Time to throw the toys out of the pram!

The very fact that Greeno last year signed a 3 year contract when he could''ve opted for a clause similar to Matty''s or even walked a la Marshall meaning we''re bound to get loads of dosh for Greeno should signal an intention he wants the best for this club. Yes, he''s frustrating, but you seem to readily forget the following statement he made just three weeks ago;

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=280734&CPID=8&CLID=45&lid=&title=Green+happy+to+stay&channel=Premiership

He''s happy to stay but would rather play in the Prem - who can blame him? I''m happy to be in the Champ, but would rather be in the Prem.

I''d hope you''re the same, Wiz!

[quote]I dont blame Green for wanting out at this moment in time, but I just think he could have handled the situation better that''s all. As Wiz so eloquently put it, I only want players here who love the cl...[/quote]

Do you really think all the other players in the squad "love" the club.  I doubt that very much.  As much as it disappoints the days of good players spending their career at one club is over I''m afraid. 

Well, I am glad that the saintly,loyal, Robert, only wants to play in the Premiership. We have to thank our lucky stars that there are not another 20 players on City''s books who have the same aspirations. If so, Nigel really would have his work cut out in team re-building. As it is there seems to be a massive hole developing in the 1st team squad. I shall be amazed if Worthy manages to find enough quality replacements in time for the start of the season. By the way, there seems to be a new definition of the word "loyal" in football vernacular.

Green is just stating a sad fact. It WILL be harder for him to further his international career now we are down and he is at an age where a move would make sense for him. HOWEVER I don''t see this as disloyalty- he has said he needs to sit down with NW and talk about his future. Isn''t that what all of us would do if something bad happened to our employer?

My own view is that Green should not even have made those statements but at least he is being honest about the impact on him of our relegation.

The worst thing about this situation is that premiership football doesn''t make a goalkeeper better, it''s just about TV coverage and publicity oh, and money. Slip anyone''s mind that Greeno will make at least twice as much dosh if he moves?).

If Greeno makes 10 incredible saves in a a Div. 1 match, the national press don''t care and Sven Goran won''t be there. Surely the England set up can afford to have someone reporting on all the potential players whatever division they play in.
This is the real problem. Div 1 and below is not respected.

Spot on Shrub - this thread is based on what we presume Greeno is thinking, based on articles in the press. Lets see what he has to say when he gets back from his holidays and then see where we all are. He has come off the back of a very disappointing season, let him have his holiday. Surely we aren''t all stupid enough to believe every report in the tabloids and each word his agent might say?

If he does go, good luck to him. Although Sven has said Premiership football isn''t a necessity for an England regular, the higher up the ladder you play your domestic football the better experience you get, simple as. Its not just money (although for a family man in a career with a very short lifespan that has to figure) but the opportunity to play with and against the best players week in week out improves your game. We all saw the gulf in class between Championship and Premiership last season! Because of the financial structure of the modern game, the best players end up at a handful of clubs with the most money, because money brings success. Unless Norwich become a regular Premiership top 6 finisher, we will have to get used to talented players coming in and moving on - I just hope they all give as much as Greeno has over the years.

I personally wouldn''t want a squad full of those content to play within themselves, we NEED players with drive and ambition. When it comes to Greeno, he has to balance the long term outlook for Norwich vs the chance to represent his country in the next world cup. I really hope Greeno is with us next season, but if he does go we will get much needed money thanks to his signing of a long term contract (I believe he HAS done right by NCFC) and he will certainly go with my best wishes. I wish every player gave 100% each game like he has done over many years.

Wiz,

As you appear to be determined to recycle your previous drivel (see "a simple message to all players") I''ll recycle my replies :-

so players should stay loyal to ncfc until ncfc decide they no longer want them and have their contracts cancelled by ''mutual'' consent.

Why can''t people understand ambition? What would Robert Green rather do.

a) Enhance his income, prospect of medals, improve his chances of getting an England cap etc etc

or

b) carry on at ncfc until the fans and club decide they no longer want him (mc Veigh, holt ...ring any bells) and keep some pretend sorcerer happy?

Tough one that !

There''s not a single ncfc player who wouldn''t be contemplating the same move were they in Green''s predicament.

Let''s drop them all !!! That''ll get us far.

Football is a short career and the players have to make the best decisions they can.

Svensson is 30 and has been offered a 3 and a half year contract that guarantees him an income for that time.  He has the chance to return back home where all his family and his wifes family are.  He has two young kids who have never lived in Sweden and he probably wants them to go through Swedish school and become "Swedish".

Helveg has been away from Denmark for 11 seasons and is 33 odd.  Unsurprising if he gets the chance that he will go home.

But we gave Steeno a heroes send off when he went back home to Denmark to play one more season.

All of these players have tried there hardest in a yellow shirt, they didn''t grow up as Norwich fans, they were purchased by Norwich and worked hard as employees of the club.

The only thing that players owe us is to earn their money.

[quote]The worst thing about this situation is that premiership football doesn''t make a goalkeeper better, it''s just about TV coverage and publicity oh, and money. Slip anyone''s mind that Greeno will make at...[/quote]

Barclay in Chile:

Out of all the replies, you alone seem to have hit the nail squarely on the head!.

You''re so right, if Manure had bought Green, he''d be England''s No.1 in 3 months, whether he improved as a player or nor!.

As you so rightly say, its about lack of respect to other divisions, Television being the most guilty of the national media madhouse in my opinion!.

Is it any wonder I get damn bitter about all this?. And of course its not the 1930s no more, where club loyalty counted, more''s the pity!.

It would have been interesting to see, how many City players would have stayed, if we had stayed up. 

We often talk about fair weather supporters on here, maybe we should be discussing fair weather players instead!.  

[quote]Barclay in Chile: Out of all the replies, you alone seem to have hit the nail squarely on the head!. You''re so right, if Manure had bought Green, he''d be England''s No.1 in 3 months, whether he impr...[/quote]

I''m sorry Wiz, but how is any of that Greeno''s fault (or Damo''s fault, or Svensson''s fault, etc)?

If you wanted to have a rant about the state of football today, then have a rant about the state of football today - you''ll probably then find that everyone will agree with you for a change!

But don''t take the problem out on one of the best-loved, and probably most "loyal", players this club has seen since Iwan...

[quote]Barclay in Chile: Out of all the replies, you alone seem to have hit the nail squarely on the head!. You''re so right, if Manure had bought Green, he''d be England''s No.1 in 3 months, whether he impr...[/quote]

You could look at it from the other side of things:

Who would we have SOLD if we stayed up?

Would the club have been loyal to Brennan? Holt? Fleming? Svensson? McVeigh?

Things change in football very quickly. By Green signing a contract at the beginning of last season, it ensured we wouldn''t get shafted in the long term. Nigel Worthington knows that Robert Green is destined for bigger and better things than Norwich City at this moment in time. That''s not to say we''ll never be in a position where we''re an established Premiership club, as I''m sure we will be.

It''s a win/win situation for us whatever happens. If Green stays then we''ll go in to the Championship campaign with the best ''keeper in the league. If Green goes then we get a good few million to strengthen in vital areas, and Green gets to (quite rightly) play in the Premiership.

Stop these rubbish posts and go and enjoy the sunshine!

[quote]You could look at it from the other side of things: Who would we have SOLD if we stayed up? Would the club have been loyal to Brennan? Holt? Fleming? Svensson? McVeigh? Things change in football ve...[/quote]

Go on, admit it, you just love my rubbish posts Campbell.  

But you are right about the sunshine matey.