Sign in to follow this  
NorwichMick

Unrealistic Expectations for next year.......

We have just secured premier league football for another year. That was my expectation, or more of a hope. We have one of the weakest squads and the third lowest wage bill so what Hoots has acheived this year is remarkable!

Now, next years expectations. Much the same!

What you say????!!!!! Well........ Even with all the money coming our way we will still have one of the weakest squads in this league. We are playing catch up and must not forget that EVERYBODY else int eh league will be getting loads of dosh toooo!!!

So.....All of you who think top 10 are getting carriied away. Our wage bill will still be bottom 6. We will still be carrying some chempionship players (Holt for one) and the club will be run on sound finances.

It wil take a few years in the premier league to get to the next level so all I can ask is that all supporters of NCFC take a chill pill and support our club while it takes the long term view.

Hooten i believe is the man to give us that long term sability and will build a great team over the tears. All those saying give him 10 games are off their bloody heads! Give him many years as, without that elusive rich backer, that is what it is going to take,

Have Faith, we cruised it this year. Next year much the same but with a more balanced side. Five years to get to top ten side that everybody in the league will fear year after year.

Have a little patience!!!

PS Yes, spelling is not my strong point!

Money doesn''t equate to quality. It helps don''t get me wrong, but I expect our squad to be far better next year and I will be expecting to finish above the likes of West Ham...

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]Avoiding relegation and perhaps having a real go in the cups for the first time in 20 years. Wigan have just had the greatest day in their history. They have achieved something we have never managed.[/quote]

Avoiding relegation? Isn''t that what CH was tasked with doing this year? Didn''t he achive that? Isn''t there an awful lot of people on this forum decrying him for achieving just that????

According to some, we have stood still - 12th last season and ONLY 12th this season! We are Norwich! Why for the 2nd successive season have we only achieved a 12th place finish?

Where''s the ambition? We are Norwich, we should be going for a Champions League spot - if we still had PL here, we would be fighting for the top spot by now!

BTW chaps, for those who don''t recognise TiC - the above was TiC!

It''s beginning to look like you have a fixation with Paul Lambert ABC!

I''m not Hughton bashing here, but we haven''t actually finished in 12th yet as far as I''m aware, unless they''ve called the last round of games off?

We also haven''t stood still, current league placing aside (which could change either way by Saturday evening) in terms of points we''re currently 12.5% down on last years final total. Victory on Saturday at Citeh would see us around 6.5% down on last year. It''s also worth noting that 12th place last year saw us finish 11 points clear of the drop zone after never being in danger.

As I said, not Hoots bashing, but that I''m not sure you can really claim we''ve stood still this year.

1. To beat Fulham

2. To give Liverpool a game

3. To stuff Villa

4. To witness first hand, an away win

5. To get Guinness on the menu

Could have been worse chaps, could of had that Paul Lambert in charge of us this year, inherited a squad which has cost over a 100m, added another 25m to it and currently sit below us in the table with our 11m cost first team.....

I''m not sure top ten next year is unrealistic, it''s just not very likely.

Outside of the champions league chasers the rest of the league is getting increasingly tight and competitive.

I would like to see us achieve safety earlier and finish comfortably mid table. A cup run would be great. Most importantly I want to see improved performances.

Europe is unrealistic, top ten or a cup final is just unlikely, but why couldn''t we? Swansea and Wigan have just shown the way.

My expectations for next year are actually pretty straight forward. Be safe by the start of April and challenge for a cup. A trip to Wembley would be nice..

"(which could change either way by Saturday evening)"  or even Sunday evening

Sadly the OP uses the same tired old trick so beloved of his kind. Make something up then knock it down to prove the point.NOBODY on here has claimed that we should be looking to achieve a Champions League place, but many have said that the players ARE better than the ever so ''umble, grubbing around the basement, they would have us be.Expenditure is no guarantee of a place in the table - which the dimwits posting it up always fail to grasp when they squeak about us finishing above our supposed place.The real unrealistic expectations are that all on here will get behind the club, not make nasty and unsubstantiated attacks upon the club and it''s officials ... and get off their knees and look up not down in the gutter whilst endlessly wringing their caps.As far as I am concerrned my expectations are that we will continue to have a board who have the best interests of the club at heart and the competence to carry out those intents - and a playing squad who want to be as successful as possible whilst they are playing for our club , and will give their all in that aim.As to what that achieves ... well that is as much in the lap of the gods, the opinion of numerous referees and the dozens of other variables that can affect a season.

Expectations for next season are that we will reach 40 points in the early spring and that we will be mathematically safe in march.

We have seen how tight it is this year and it will be the same next year with all clubs improving.

If we can bring in 5 starters and a few upgrades for the bench then we will have cover for injuries and suspensions. We have seen how stretched our current squad is.

Expectations are higher as the clubs coming up do not have the financial clout of west ham and Southampton. We are in a very strong position and will have some players with two seasons worth of premiership experience on the bench. We can then have first teamers of genuine premiership quality leading our team.

A little cup run could be possible, all depends on injuries and suspensions at the time. We will add great quality but if rvw gets injured we are left with a strike force who this season were inept. So additions have to be made of genuine quality.

Mathematically safe in March?  You can''t be serious?  At the end of March this year there were still 7 games left, 21 points, which would mean at that stage we would have to be 22 points above the bottom 3! 

To be mathematically safe in March would most probably see you finish in the top 7!

My expectations, are that Hughton will carry on keeping us well organised, good in defence, will improve the quality in midfield and build on the good things that we have seen this season.  That Howson will emerge as a key player for us, that we will score more goals and that the Hughton doubters will disappear. 

I would be very surprised if we were not better overall next season as Hughton will have learned a great deal from this season, will have developed the team more and should be able to start next season on a much better footing than he was able to this season. 

[quote user="NorwichMick"]

We have just secured premier league football for another year. That was my expectation, or more of a hope. We have one of the weakest squads and the third lowest wage bill so what Hoots has acheived this year is remarkable!

Now, next years expectations. Much the same!

What you say????!!!!! Well........ Even with all the money coming our way we will still have one of the weakest squads in this league. We are playing catch up and must not forget that EVERYBODY else int eh league will be getting loads of dosh toooo!!!

So.....All of you who think top 10 are getting carriied away. Our wage bill will still be bottom 6. We will still be carrying some chempionship players (Holt for one) and the club will be run on sound finances.

It wil take a few years in the premier league to get to the next level so all I can ask is that all supporters of NCFC take a chill pill and support our club while it takes the long term view.

Hooten i believe is the man to give us that long term sability and will build a great team over the tears. All those saying give him 10 games are off their bloody heads! Give him many years as, without that elusive rich backer, that is what it is going to take,

Have Faith, we cruised it this year. Next year much the same but with a more balanced side. Five years to get to top ten side that everybody in the league will fear year after year.

Have a little patience!!!

PS Yes, spelling is not my strong point!

[/quote]

To have a GD that says 1.

H

Agree with City 1st about wanting a Board with the best interets of the club at heart (rather than a foreign "investor") with a sound long term plan and a team who want to win for each other. Stability at Board level (if not manager level) is more imortnat than it may first appear.

What I wouldn''t like is a stream of "trophy" signings- the Lambert philosophy of young and hungry seems right to me but we should be able to get better quality than in the past, not "young hungry and from the Champ" but "young hungry and ready for the Prem". We''ve seen with QPR and Newcastle that just flooing yourteam with name players doesn''t work of itself, likewise at the man City level. So CH needs to continue Lambert''s work in creating a team, not a collection of expensive individuals.

I''d also like to see some of last nights team making it to the bench and be fed into games from time to time to build their experience, to see a Murphy come on for the last 10 minutes for Pilks or Snod for example.

The teams coming up don''t seem as strong to me as last year''s set, possibly a trio of Readings, so I would not expect us to be scratching around nervously come May. It is also unlikely the bottom will be so congested next time around as well.

So my target? Well, 48 points is about the target mark, 50 at a stretch, but  a + goal difference and certainly more  positive play. And as someone said above beating Fulham for the first time in a  gazillion years would be nice.

I agree that we ought to see improvements. I also agree that all the other surviving teams also ought to see improvements. So, the point about the three teams coming up this year .. .. it is true that they are relatively weak compared to last year''s trio, but one word of warning: Imagine what was said about us when we were promoted. In other words, don''t forget the momentum they have behind them.

We, on the other hand, are indeed faced with the long term slog of gradual improvement to get a full squad of genuine premiership-quality players. This takes years.

Having said all this, I don''t see why a goal-difference target is a bad thing.

So, for what it''s worth: A goal difference better than -10.

Cheers.