Sign in to follow this  
Norwich or die tryin!

Lower league players i'd like to see us sign...

Have we not learned about signing Lower league players!

Next season will be our 3rd season in the Premiship, we have to be looking at better quality

If the player''s are clearly talented and would add to the squad it shouldn''t matter what league they are coming from.

I don''t care where they come from just that they are an improvement on what we already have.

A younger, ''better'' hoolahan would be nice and a few players with pace AND skill.

but I''d take a few from soon to be championship wigna.

[quote user="SYG"]Have we not learned about signing Lower league players!

Next season will be our 3rd season in the Premiship, we have to be looking at better quality[/quote]

What have we learned?

Pilkington, Holt, Johnson, Snodgrass, Howson, R and E Bennett.

Guess we should stick to lower league players then?

Seriously though, it will be a tough ask to step up a level in transfers. It was the undoing of Ipswich, Hull and plenty of others. Big names often come with big egos and can cause unrest and upset the balance.

I hope we find more Michus than Luques!

Coming close to relegation, that''s what we''ve learnt.

Look at Swansea, haven''t signed many of the the ''amazing lower league talent'' and they have been incredible...

We are now fishing in a much bigger pond.Premier teams don''t need to take chances, they buy proven talent.

I disagree with that Ricardo and I think it''s an extremely short sighted belief.

I am not extolling the virtues of a policy of exclusively signing lower league players.  But, as has already been mentioned, it would be ludicrous to rule someone out, based on what league they play in.

There are many established players in established Premier League teams who came from the lower leagues. 

I''ll give you a starter for one - double player of the season winner Gareth Bale!

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

I disagree with that Ricardo and I think it''s an extremely short sighted belief.

I am not extolling the virtues of a policy of exclusively signing lower league players.  But, as has already been mentioned, it would be ludicrous to rule someone out, based on what league they play in.

There are many established players in established Premier League teams who came from the lower leagues. 

I''ll give you a starter for one - double player of the season winner Gareth Bale!

[/quote]Yes but there aren''t many £10 million players in the lower leagues. All those Ive seen mentioned on this thread are similar quality to Butterfield and would need lending out for a season or two to see if they have what it takes. We need proven top quality that can step straight in. Hopefully like Mr Wolfwinkle.Plenty of decent talent abroad so I wouldn''t waste too much time looking in League 1 or 2.

Europe has to be our number one destination for bargains and quality. I do not thin we should be looking at lower leagues

Bassong, garrido, turner have come in and shown their level. If we have rvw we need to bring in quality of a similar ability to these players. We have the butterfield and other lower league players who have now become established in a team which limped to safety.

Time to pay some money and bring in the quality.

I really think it''s a bit silly to have a blanket policy of either we will only sign lower league players or alternatively we will only sign Premiership players or players from Europe etc.

What matters is that the club have done their homework on the player they are bringing in and that they are as sure as they can be that he will fit in, in terms of his skill level, his fitness and his hunger and will to win (and they are value for money for the price we have to pay). That applies wherever they are being signed from.

Absolutely, Thirsty Lizard - what is most important is that whoever we sign is up to it. I couldn''t give two hoots where they are from, but we have clearly been looking far and wide for our players as RVW, Tettey and Garrido testify.

Meanwhile, closer to home, Brighton lost tonight, so perhaps Bridcutt has become more of a possibility.

As long as they have the same work ethic as the current squad (and the youth team!) then players like Knockaert and Redmond might be worth a try, but we also need more proven players too. I''d take Bridcutt for sure as he looks every inch a composed player ready for the Prem. There''s obviously Ince, Bolasie and Hughes etc, but I think they''re much harder to get (and much costlier than players abroad)

There''s certainly talent in the lower leagues, but I wouldn''t be surprised to see us go abroad now that Chester has got his network up and running

There is another flip side of the coin though, if 95% of your signings are from abroad it can have a detrimental effect as I think Newcastle have found to their cost this season.

What has too also be factored in here is the overall permitted squad size, and even if we were able to move a number of players on in the summer, we are going to be looking for players to come in who can improve our side NOW, not in 2-3 years time.I''m all for bringing in talent at good prices, especially young homegrown talent such as Butterfield, but I think we''ve all posted about how we need to bring in some genuine quality for key positions this year, and that isn''t going to come from League Two at this stage!If we can get a couple of promising young players in who are under the age cap for squad size, then no problem, but in regards to regular first team players who will challenge what we already have, I think we mainly need to be looking into Europe for new talent, with maybe a couple of players like Davies from the lower leagues if we think they can immediately perform at this level.

Curtis Davies, Liam Bridcutt & Jordan Rhodes for me!! Will add bit more quality in areas needed and Rhodes is a better option than Hooper for presumably a similar fee.

I sort of agree with Ricard, although not 100%.

I think if we go too far down the leagues in search of players you are looking at a longer period of adapting and getting them up to speed.

Jackson is a good example of this. In two seasons he went from being at a league 2 / league 1 yo-yo club to being premiership playing a relative handful of games in the process.

If you invest in players like that, these days you really need them to be around 19/20/21 and not be buying them for the season you are about to start. Obviously they may pleasantly surprise people, but I would say that is the exception. There are the odd gems, but everyone will know about them.

As it stands at the moment, despite being debt free, I don''t think we can afford to have a large squad of players of which several cannot be included in the ''named squad''. We''d rely on getting them out on loan just to ensure we don''t have to carry the wages.

So I would say Championship is probably as low as you''d want right now.

And start by looking at the teams that didn''t make the play-off final as well as the one that will ultimately fail at the final hurdle.