Sign in to follow this  
QHcanary

OT...Watford and loan players

I''m not 100% on loan rules for the premier league. Where wil Watford stand next season if they get promoted, given that most of their team don''t belong to them.

Can anyone enlighten me on the rules for loans?

quote user="QHcanary"]I''m not 100% on loan rules for the premier league. Where wil Watford stand next season if they get promoted, given that most of their team don''t belong to them.

Can anyone enlighten me on the rules for loans?[/quote

Someone said that they would have to buy a shedload of players before 31st Aug, because they will only have 14 pros on their books, because the loan rules, rule out the current amount (?) or type (?) of loans they currently have. Not entirely sure of exact rules, but a general jist,was that they would not be able to repeat what they currently do.

I mentioned this a couple of days ago. Watford have only 14 full-time professionals and due to financial irregularities are under a transfer embargo until 31st August. Thus they cannot sign any new players for the Prem season unless the embargo is lifted.  It means that they will be certain to be relegated IMO so we should be hoping that they win promotion !!!!    

What''s to stop the owners just moving the players on a free transfer?

Can the league block something like that.

[quote user="QHcanary"]What''s to stop the owners just moving the players on a free transfer?

Can the league block something like that.[/quote]A transfer embargo is exactly what it says on the tin !!

[quote user="QHcanary"]What''s to stop the owners just moving the players on a free transfer?

Can the league block something like that.[/quote]A transfer embargo is exactly what it says on the tin !!

They would still pick up the TV money and rob another club of a place in the PL.Irrespective of how well it might benefit us their behaviour should not be encouraged, or be seen to profit them.

[quote user="paul moy"]I mentioned this a couple of days ago. Watford have only 14 full-time professionals and due to financial irregularities are under a transfer embargo until 31st August. Thus they cannot sign any new players for the Prem season unless the embargo is lifted.  It means that they will be certain to be relegated IMO so we should be hoping that they win promotion !!!!     [/quote]
Surely the embargo would be lifted for them in such a position? Why was it even put in place?

[quote user="Stig"][quote user="paul moy"]I mentioned this a couple of days ago. Watford have only 14 full-time professionals and due to financial irregularities are under a transfer embargo until 31st August. Thus they cannot sign any new players for the Prem season unless the embargo is lifted.  It means that they will be certain to be relegated IMO so we should be hoping that they win promotion !!!!     [/quote]
Surely the embargo would be lifted for them in such a position? Why was it even put in place?
[/quote]I heard this being discussed on Talksport and the consensus was that the Premier League would be asked to lift the embargo in order to preserve the integrity of the League. Time will tell as it''s all hypothetical until Watford get promoted. 

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="QHcanary"]What''s to stop the owners just moving the players on a free transfer?

Can the league block something like that.[/quote]A transfer embargo is exactly what it says on the tin !! [/quote]

I didn''t actually know it had been imposed until I started reading into it about 5 minutes ago.

Their transfer embargo is nothing to do with the current owner or the loan players they''ve brought in, it''s to do with the previous owners.

Watford placed under transfer embargo and former owner banned

Watford have been placed under transfer embargo and former owner

Laurence Bassini banned from football for three years for financial

misconduct.

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21829894

Can the league block something like that.[/quote]No signings can be made, but it''s not as black and white as Paul makes out.The league can sanction any transfer that Watford make, whether their free or £10m, it''s just that they have the final say.  Whether the league allow them to sign players or not is another matter.  I would imagine allowing Watford to sign players would open up a whole can of worms that the Premier League or Football League would rather not see.  It''s a really interesting situation.

[quote user="ncfcstar"][quote user="QHcanary"]What''s to stop the owners just moving the players on a free transfer?

Can the league block something like that.[/quote]No signings can be made, but it''s not as black and white as Paul makes out.The league can sanction any transfer that Watford make, whether their free or £10m, it''s just that they have the final say.  Whether the league allow them to sign players or not is another matter.  I would imagine allowing Watford to sign players would open up a whole can of worms that the Premier League or Football League would rather not see.  It''s a really interesting situation.[/quote]Indeed I was going to raise this point, its not a full blown no transfer deal, they can sign players but under supervison and approval from the league.

I may have missed something and be totally wrong about this, but, is there actually anything to stop Watford doing the same and ahving 11 international loans if they get promoted to the Premier League?

International Loans are processed the same as a full transfer, but the registration of the player returns to the parent club at the end of the contract, instead of it being released (think of it as subletting a house that you''re renting), it is for this reason that they don''t count against the 5 loan players in the FL. My understanding was this also meant there was no limit on the number of international loanees in the premier league...

As I say, I may be wrong and have missed something and I know that the FL were reportedly going to make changes to limit the number of international loanees, but I have seen nothing about the PL or FA doing anything similar....

[quote user="cornish sam"]

I may have missed something and be totally wrong about this, but, is there actually anything to stop Watford doing the same and ahving 11 international loans if they get promoted to the Premier League?

International Loans are processed the same as a full transfer, but the registration of the player returns to the parent club at the end of the contract, instead of it being released (think of it as subletting a house that you''re renting), it is for this reason that they don''t count against the 5 loan players in the FL. My understanding was this also meant there was no limit on the number of international loanees in the premier league...

As I say, I may be wrong and have missed something and I know that the FL were reportedly going to make changes to limit the number of international loanees, but I have seen nothing about the PL or FA doing anything similar....

[/quote]The thing stopping them is their transfer embargo as discussed on the previous page.  Like you say there have been discussions over changing this and it wouldn''t surprise me if the PL and FL have both arranged new laws in time for the window opening on July 1st.

From what I understand, there will be a vote over the summer by the PL/FA in regards to the international loan setup, with a proposed change bringing it in-line with rules on domestic loans (no more than 5 on the teamsheet at any one time).The idea that Watford are allowed to basically just loan an entire team from abroad is ludicrous and if the league hadn''t been caught by surprise when they did it, it would likely have never been allowed.Chances are that a balance will be struck if they do come up, whereby they can sign a few players and loan a few more, but the rest will have to come via youth academy etc.Either way, it will be VERY interesting to see how the FA and PL handle the situation if it happens.

Yep, my understanding is also that they can loan as many international players as they wish. Certainly I have heard the football league is having summer time discussions on bringing the international loan rules in line with domestic loans (although whether that will be allowed by FIFA/UEFA/EU free movement is a different question). Most transfer embargos are about registration rather than ''signing'' as such, so free transfers will also not be allowed. However, I would imagine that with promotion they will be allowed to sign players as long as they don''t overspend too ridiculously.

I thought, and could be wrong, that PL teams could only have 2 domestic and 2 international loans, with that business being done within the transfer windows.

I think you can theoretically have as many international loanees as you want, but there''s still a max of 5 of them on the teamsheet at any one time.I''m sure it''s something to do with international loans being classed as transfers rather than loans, therefore they don''t fall under the domestic loan rules...stupid I know, but that''s how it stands (AFAIK).

Well done on staying up andf our youngsters winning the Youth Cup last night (very impressive play on the counterattack)

Hi,

I think you''ve generally all got the current situation with us right - we can sign some of these loan players on pernament deals as we did with fernando forestieri.

All seems a bit up in the air with the FA/FL atm which probably isn''t a surprise.

Anyway well done