Sign in to follow this  
Nicko

So it looks like Garrido is a no...

I agree, Grefstad. He''s been caught out in the air at the back post more than once this season, with goals resulting.

Reasonably good full back, but better going forward than with bread-and-butter defending. Cultured and a good passer but poor in the air and can tend to back off attackers too much.

He''s an upgrade on Tierney, who is surely set to leave. But LB has been one of our weaker positions this season and I envisage Hughton signing not only Garrido but also another left back who will end up playing the majority of games. That might be Blackburn''s Olsson, who has been linked several times.

If we sign hm, fine, if not, there are better out there.

Really?

In the first pace why are so many of you in denial about the facts? It has been said time and time again. We have stayed up and Garrido has played 25 games. Therefore, we are contractually bound to sign him for the agreed fee if he wants to come. There is no decision for the club to make. The only decision is the player''s. is that so hard to understand?

Secondly, are there really that many good left backs around? It''s been a worldwide problem position for years. I think that Garrido is a good player and best left back since Bowen but even if he''s ordinary, how any better are there in the Prem? Three, four?

Arsenal and Spurs are just two clubs who struggle in the position. It''s the weakest in the Prem. We have a player who is more than good enough and even if he wasn''t, he''s ours if he wants to be.

I hope he decides to sign with us but clearly it''s his call.

I can''t remember any occasions when he was caught out in the air at the back post leading to a goal.   I''m willing to be corrected as my memory isn''t infallible.  Overall though I think he''s a class player, much better than Tierney, and would be a good signing.

Assuming the info is correct about us having to sign him now if he wants to come, then discussion about him not signing is a moot point and not worth discussing for even a minute longer.What is worth discussing however is that assuming this is correct, do we see him as our first choice left back - or are we looking to add someone of a higher standard instead, rather than bringing someone else in as cover for him?I personally think he''s done ok this season, his game has been hampered somewhat by our defensive approach as he''s a player that likes to attack and swing in crosses, which if Hughton keeps the shackles off, will benefit him greatly, even if defensively he''s relatively average.I think we need another player of a similar or slightly higher calibre to ensure that we get the best out of both players, rather than stagnation from a lack of competition like we''ve had this year, where Tierney clearly isn''t liked by Hughton...

"I can''t remember any occasions when he was caught out in the air at the back post leading to a goal. I''m willing to be corrected as my memory isn''t infallible."

West Brom away was one.

Simply put. The best left back we''ve ever had at the club.

A must signing in this window, with quality competition coming in, maybe matey boy that plays for Palace, Parr is it?

It''s a bit unfair to be using a handful of examples of mistakes to suggest a player isn''t good enough. I''ve said it before but every goal conceded is the result of a mistake by somebody. If any team was composed entirely of players who never [or even rarely] make mistakes then they would be world beaters and nobody else would stand a chance. I bet any left back you can think of has made mistakes this season (and others) and some will have lead to goals conceded. It would be fairer to say we could do better if he is prone to several calamitous mistakes per game and keeps repeating the same ones.

True, Chip20, but Garrido''s been a mixed bag, with some good games and bad. It''s no surprise that he rarely appears in any of the POTs threads.

"Best left back at the club ever" sounds a bit like hyperbole, especially when Bowen was so consistent for so long.

I suspect Garrido may struggle to get in the team next season after a new left back is added in the summer.

[quote user="refjezdavies"]Simply put. The best left back we''ve ever had at the club.[/quote]I''d take both Bowen and Drury over him in a heartbeat tbh...

Agreed it is not fair to focus on some mistakes Garrido has made, as it is bound to happen during a long season, but it is the general impression of his game we much look at.I for one think he is better going forward than his defending.His defending is in my eyes to far away from the opposition player, it is as he knows he needs 2 extra yards in case he is being passed on the outside, and he is also far too often seen trying to "shepard" the winger instead of actually trying to win the ball.Now, this may be effective against very pacy wingers, but he is doing the same against virtually every opponent.Pilkingtons game has suffered a bit because he needs to help out more defensively than he perhaps should, and his offensive play suffers.For me it almost like Garrido is playing for himself not to be caught out, instead of actually trying his best for the team. In my eyes, Garrido is a decent left back, but a squad player more than a week in, week out starter. I will admit he is consistent though, consistent 6/10, nothing special, and never piss poor.Hughtons defensive system has not helped him either, as everyone can see his defensive play is a lot weaker than his offensive play, and under Hughton he has almost never been allowed to cross the half way line before Hughton shouts at him.

Garrido is great coming forward, a little iffy at the back. If he was great at the back and great coming forward he wouldn''t be playing for us.

I don''t think Hoot''s system has helped Garrido as it has curbed his attacking qualities, which are his best attributes.