Sign in to follow this  
Splendid Rush

Cameron McGeehan

I''m surprised that despite a lot of chat on here about the youth team after last night, Cameron McGeehan doesn''t seem to get a mention. For me, he was the stand out player, and the one that is most likely to advance to the senior team first.

While the Murphy twins are a fantastic prospect and Morris looks like he has a good future ahead of him, you can see they have a little way to go before they are ready for the first team. McGeehan looked a bit more advanced to me. He was solid in the tackle, calm on the ball, a good leader, and his positioning and work rate were excellent. I''m very excited about him being at the club.

Didn''t see the game last night (yet, hoping its on itvplayer) but I though McGeehan was the best player overall in the previous three games. Definitely wouldn''t look out of place in the first team next season.

Agreed. He seems to have all the right attributes and all the right mentality traits to become a very good defender. It''s crucial we develop this cup winning "golden" generation in the right way from here. At least three or four of those starting last night have got absolutely every opportunity to make the grade with Norwich.

[quote user="Splendid Rush"]McGeehan looked a bit more advanced to me. He was solid in the tackle, calm on the ball, a good leader, and his positioning and work rate were excellent.[/quote]He has the eye for a pass too. Very exciting prospect.

Completely agree with everything you say, I watched both legs vs Forest and both v Chelsea and he was the stand out performer for me in each of those games.  Very composed on the ball, can pass and tackle.  I think he is capable of stepping up to the first team next season. 

The Murphy twins could have had a hatfull last night if their finishing was of a better quality.  They have a tendancy to take one touch too many or run into dead ends.  Its their pace that will stand them in good stead, it allows them to get in some excellent positions.

Good post OP, agree completely, I posted I thought he was the standout player after the last match and I think he was again yesterday, a real captains performance as well.

Very exciting prospect, a DM who can tackle but can also ping long range accurate passes and has an eye for short quick passes as well. He is exactly the sort of player we have been crying out for, but needs that bit more development before he is ready for the PL.

The Murphy twins have the potential to be awesome players if they can work on their decision making, Morris looks like a young quick Holt, but McGeehan looks like a class midfielder in the making. I hope they all get a chance on loan next year to develop.

Michael Starr wrote - "He seems to have all the right attributes and all the right mentality traits to become a very good defender."

Midfielder isn''t he?

I was also impressed both by his play and his leadership. Two good penalty''s as well. Probably the development squad before he steps up to a loan, but an exciting prospect.

City fans have good reason to be optimistic as this is what has been achieved before Cat 1 acadamy status.Undoubtedly many will fall by the wayside, for many reasons but there is a far better structure now to allow them to develop. Go back to the team of ''83 and there was not much beyond a massive step up into the first team - often brought about by need rather than readiness. Now their development will involve moving up to the development squad and going o on season long loans long before they are expected or even considered for the first team. It does also mean that we can identify other youth players and bring them to the club, as with Tyler Reading (Luton Keeper). As to the U18''s I would add to the above that it''s a shame (and a measue of what is said above) that we cannot retain the keeper, Britton. looked very good and competent last night. One who I would like to see come through in Ben Wyatt - reminds me of a young Dave Stringer - local lad making good.However for all their abilities there are a fair few coming through that development squad to watch out for.it can only fet better.