Sign in to follow this  
Chirping Canary

Bentley

Nigel Worthington has said ''There are a lot of ifs, buts and maybes to it all''.

''But if there was an opportunity to bring him back here for another year then I''d love to do it''.

I for one can echo this sentiment as I feel he would bring a whole new dimension to our team, however this does ask the question of where Jonson would be left, a Swedish international would certainly not be happy to sit on the bench in a championship team and his international manager wouldn''t be ecstatic at the idea either, the only solution for him I think would be to play up front or at right back which realistically he isn''t known for in his period at Norwich. Even if Bentley doesn''t get brought back Worthington obviously has this position in mind to fill which then would leave Jonson in the lurch in my opinion.

Unless like we all know Bentley is quite useful on the left wing too could indicate if Jonson is in Norwich''s first teams plans then a change in formation, Huckerby going up front or another solution might happen to accommodate all of them into the first team.

Opinions please on whether we could bring Bentley back, where he would fit into the team and where it would leave Jonson or other first team members? 

Come on! He was awful, technically good no doubt but did''nt have the strength or decision making ability to make any sort of impact. He had one good game against Bolton was it? Apart from that he was a waste of space.

Whatsmore he''s big headed - I heard him on Soccer Am at Christmas and he said he''d be in the Arsenal team next season, then  off to the World Cup you WHAT?

He''s one of these young players who plays for a big club who has been talked up a lot mainly by the London Media who haven''t actually done anything even full stop.

Worthy steer well wide please 

I''m really looking forward to seeing Jonson next year.  I think he''ll do really well for us.  However, Bentley is a very talented lad.  He did well after his injury and I''d be pleased if he came back.  However;

1. I don''t think he will.  He''s got a taste of the Premiership and will want to stay there.  I don''t think he wants trips to Burnley and Crewe with us.  Having said that though, he''ll want first team football.  He obviously won''t get that at Arsenal.  West Ham will be my bet as to where he ends up
  2. If by some miricle he did come back it would cause problems to the balance of the team.  We found towards the tail end of last season that having Hucks on the left and Bents on the right left us too exposed at the back.  I know the first div is different to the Prem but the same problem will occur.  I like Hucks on the left and want him to play there next season.  However, will Bentley be able to fit in to the right?  I''m not so sure

I don''t really know what to think of this Bentley back for another season story. We all saw flashes of brilliance last season and without a doubt he would be one of the best players in the Championship. However, I think his heart wouldn''t really be in it. To go from being at a top Prem side into a Championship one is a hell of a step in what he will consider the wrong direction. Possible formations to have all five players in the starting lineup... I think the only option is a 3-4-3. Maybe a little weak at the back but when we are attacking 5 great players who will cut through defences with ease. Green Fleming Shackell DruryJonson New Safri Bentley McKenzie Ashton HuckerbyIf needed have Safri as a holding player just infront of the 3 defenders with a more attacking center mid alongside him. Jonson we know will put his foot in so would give cover to Fleming on that right hand side. So when we defend we would theoretically have 5 players denfending if Safri moves back. Anyone think this would work?

Bentley is a quality player without doubt - look how he played against Man Utd.

However, he needs to lose some of his arrogance and then I think he would be a major asset (big) if we could have him on loan again.

I''m all for it if we can persuade him to join us again. If he becomes a Francis when playing in the Championship then we can always ship him back to Arsenal. If not him, then a youngster on loan should definitely be a priority.

Plus we need numbers, the squad is stupidly small.

i wouldnt mind if he came but i would prefer someone else such as jarrett. To get promotion we will need consistent players who will battle each week throughout the whole season. I am still unsure of him.

Can''t be a bad thing having Bentley on the books next season even if it''s just to make the numbers up and have players play for places.

Anyone suggests that it''s not a good idea needs their head examining. It''s not like we''re spending 3million on him or anything

I would love to have Bentley back on loan for another season but dont think hell drop down a division and will probably go to west ham on loan anyway. Another option though could be Dean Marney of Spurs, can play at right-back, right/centre-mid or striker and has looked class when playing for Tottenham, plays with so much passion like every game is his last. Could do a job for us next season and the next WHEN we get promoted.

he joins, and jonson isnt going to be happy.

But then again, if bently joins then good. People have already said how he was not strong enough in the prem but shew flashes of talent. Well, its not as hard in the champ, his flashes will be more and he will be a better player all round. Bring him in i say.

although i dont want to lose jonson over it......

I think that Bentley on loan would be a good idea. I hear what you are saying about us becoming exposed at the back and i would like to see Jonson in Division 1, reckon he will be a class act. There is no doubting Bentleys ability, but i think a season in a lower league strengthen him up physically and maybe humble him mentally. As for the position he plays, he is supposedly best down the middle, just behind the strikers, so he would give us another option there.

I say sign him on loan for another season, if he will come that is....

I''m not quite sure what to think about Bentley. Initially my reaction was that in the Champ he would be awesome but I wonder whether it would just be too physical and that would prevent him from being able to play his game!? I like the idea of him playing through the middle behind Ashton and Leon. I think that would give him more space and he could be electric there.
Suggested line up??

Green
Helveg, Shackell, Doherty, Charlton
Jonson, Safri, Huckerby
Bentley
Ashton MacKenzie

I''m wondering whether this team is too attacking with Jonson, Hucks and Bentley in midfield. Maybe Jarrett or Etuhu in for Jonson??

Here''s my theory - so far, we all seemd to expect Green and Francis to leave, but there doesn''t appear to be much interest in either of them so far.  However, there has been quite a bit of interest in Leon - I think we are seriously considering selling Leon to bring in some much needed transfer funds.  Therefore, Bentley on loan would suddenly be a very good option - he can either play down the left or right, or just behind Ashton a la Bergkamp.......would certainly give us a lot of options up front, as we could quickly switch to a 4-3-3 with Hux and Bentley out wide and Deano through the middle.......

Food for thought, anyway.

Great player a year in the championship would bring him on no end lets hope he comes back.Think would be a better prospect than johnson who huffs and puffs a lot not a lot of end product.   

I must admit I have been both critical and complimenary to David Bentley last season.  This is perhaps down to his ability to go from one extreme to another.  When the signing was announced last pre season I was full of hope that he could perhaps inspire us in the grandures of the Prem, but my overall opinion is still in doubt.

At the start of the season he showed some skills and looked to be playing okay.  He then became an over elaborate show pony with a big head on his shoulders, who thought he should be a nailed on certainty as he had played for Arsenal.  The injury was unfortunate as it triggered the arrival of perhaps one of the laziest players to wear yellow and green Graham Stuart.  Old one lung put in some pretty dreadful performances and I was glad Bentley came back to reclaim the shirt. 

In the last few games Bentley looked the real deal (although not hard to sparkle on the right after taking the shirt from old one lung)   I was however impressed by the way he conducted himself when he was back in the team.  He put in some crucial challenges, looked to be sharper and there was a neatnesss and positivity about his play (I think he had finally taken heed of Mr Worthingtons mid season comments)

On the evidence of the first half of the season I wouldnt like to see him back as he was an arrogant show pony who thought of Norwich as just a little club he has been lent to.  Give us the passion and spirit after his comeback from injury and I would beg Mr Wenger to have him back, as he would unlock any defence in the Fizzy league.  I agree with the gentleman on the previous post though, we need consistency and I feel he is either excellent or dreadful and no inbetween.

West Ham may be more of an attractive draw for him though as he can bevvy it up and build up that ego he has displayed so often on Sky.

We shall see. 

Why wouldnt we want Bentley back?  He showed that he has gelled with the squad, the manager clearly rates him and our team looked significantly better with him than without him.  As we are looking for so many midfielders filling one of those gaps with a known quantity sounds excellent to me! 

He overcame his show pony tendencies and I disagree with the assertion that he was lazy and/or uncommitted  - I thought he worked hard at his game and defended well for a player who is basically another forward Worthy played in midfield.   Yes he had his quieter games but inconsistency is guaranteed when expecting 20 year olds to play a full season.  The more midfielders and so competition for places we have (sorry not signing him because it may upset Jonson is not a good enough reason) the better.

He was undoutedly one of the best ''creative'' passers at the club (something our midfield was generally poor at) and delivers as good a cross as anyone else.   The boy has premiership class but if he wants to keep his education going with us I would welcome him back with open arms - I just think that a season at Upton park is more likely. 

OTBC

Worthy is keen for him to stay, so let''s hope he does - it''s looking more likely.  Let''s face it, he won''t get into the Arsenal team over the next season, so it would be good for him and us. A very exciting player in the Championship.

I agree ! Get Bentley inn. Arsenal needs a quiality goalkeeper. Let´s swap Greeno and Bentley. Where it leaves Jonson ? We can´t afford to think like that, I think. Besides, if Jonson stays pacient, then he will get a place in the team eventually.

Roberth

Norwegian Canary

Sorry Rob but you are talking about a swap??

your crazy greeno is 100 percent Norwich whereas Bentley is not. Green is one of the few players to come out and actually tell the fans that he doesn''t want to leave, Bentley IMO showed zero commitment to the club last season and was there purely to better himself, he is a waste of a space in a starting 11. What makes you think he would even want to come here, he is a legend in his own mind, would end up being a replica of Francis I''m afraid (not commited to our club).

Is he even worth the same amount as Greeno?? I laugh off the concept and pray it never happens

[quote]Sorry Rob but you are talking about a swap?? your crazy greeno is 100 percent Norwich whereas Bentley is not. Green is one of the few players to come out and actually tell the fans that he doesn''t wa...[/quote]

Green is worth well more than youth dreamer bently. Quite a bit of money would also have to be involved to make me happy to accept that swap.

The 2 sides of the story:

• Yes, it is a good move for greeno, he gets the premiership football he deserves and gets to keep his place in the england squad - good luck to him. We get in bently he does the buisiness, all around good move and we also have that money to spend elsewhere

•  We dont want to sell greeno, then bently doesnt come here. We simply look elsewhere.

In my opinion, we can get better elsewhere, bently is a good player and everything, but he is a bit lightweight......

BRING BACK MCVEIGH!!!

Ward

Helveg
Drury
Doherty
Shackell

Jonson
Huckerby
Bentley
Safri

Ashton
McKenzie

Bentley playing central midfield, Safri protecting the back four and breaking things up.

That team would walk to the Championship title.

David Bentley - aka ''Little Skippy White Boots''. Yes he has class - oodles of it, but he wouldn''t be able to handle the physical side of the Championship. He jumps out of the way of tackles like a wounded little show pony.

He did start to show commitment near the end, but he is far too arrogant and definately lacks consistency like other posters have already commented. Jonson has showed commitment and passion and is good defensivley as well as in attack. He will regain his confidence in the Championship and score 7-10 goals.

"If Norwich stay in the Premier it will be down to me."

Let the Hammers have Bentley.

GREEN

HELVEG DOCHERTY SHACKELL

JONSON SAFRI JARRETT/FRANCIS HUCKERBY

BENTLEY

ASHTON MACKENZIE

I quite like the idea of a 3-5-2 with Bentley playing behind the front two, quite attacking formation however Jonson can track back well to add cover when needed.

I do like the 11 some of you have picked for walking through championship next year. But I would like to add my "dream".

Norwich has been slightly light-weighted in the defence this season, but has played extremely well offensively.

What about a diamond formation of the 4 on midfield, with Hucks playing straight behind the two centers ? And then a more defensive midfielder on the back, and here comes my dream of Nicky Butt or someone like him.

We would have made 5 goals in every game ! - and perhaps let in fewer than 2,03 per game in averange...

Rob