Sign in to follow this  
ncfc forever!

Hughton Out Idiots

[quote user="ABC - A Basingstoke Canary"]And, don''t let anyone try and bamboozle you with figures regarding our downward spiral - our first third of last season results were W4, D4, L5 = 16 points, our middle third (12 games) gave us W5, D4, L3 = 19 points, and our final third gave W3, D3 L7 = 12 points. The facts are there for all to see, our middle third, with one less game, gave us 19 points, our final third gave us 12 points - virtually 40% less than our middle third - I think most "objective" people would see that as a "spiral"![/quote]How about this season?First third - W3, D6, L4 = 15 points (1 less than last season)Second third (12 games) - W3, D4, L5 = 13 points (6 less than last season)Final third (12 games with Man City to play) - W3, D4, L5 = 13 points (1 more than last season)If we combine the final two thirds together, then last season we had W8, D7, L10 compared to W6, D8, L10 (with a game to play) - so not a lot in it overall (especially if we won against City), but surely if we were in a spiral last season based on this, we must have been this year as well...As I''ve said on other threads, with clever use of stats, you can prove an awful lot of different things...

Indy Bones, not disagreeing with you on here - and as you say and others do, with a clever use of stats you can cover a multitude of sins!

I have been trying to look at things in a somewhat objective light, prefering to leave the hysterical out-pourings to others. However, such was the bias on this forum, I decided to "spin" another angle.

There is also no disputing the fact that our "WBA onwards" run was abysmal - and we were fortunate to already have the points in the bag. What was unacceptable is the behaviour of some towards our manager - he had one objective - stay in this league (look at Mancini to see what missing your targests can result in!). Plain and simple - stay in this league. Consolidate this year and build upon it next year onwards, but, stay in this league.

That message was pretty plain for all to see and most rational minded people understood that this season was going to be touch and go - and pretty dire to boot. The man has achieved that objective - by how many points is yet to be decided, but he achieved it.

Yet despite this, his detractors were vitriolic in their attacks on him. Making comparisons to last season, the gung-ho football of yore, the inspirational achievements of CH''s predecessor vs the "insipid, deferential" performance of CH... and the list goes on! One could produce fact after fact to demonstrate his ability, yet because he wasn''t performing in the same way that PL did, he was vilified.

Therefore, I decided to put my head above the parapet and try to maintain a sense of perspective with these folk. Others have also done the same, I''m not claiming any credit for it - I could be jumping on someone else''s bandwagon for all I know - but, the bottom line is, we have one of the most respected managers in British football and after what he has achieved, he deserves our respect. Without him, especially after the way that PL left us, I don''t think we would have stayed up. I don''t think many other managers could have achieved what he has.

"Without him I don''t think we would have stayed up I dont think many other managers could have achieved what he has"

Thanks for your opinion!

[quote user="canarygirl"]"Without him I don''t think we would have stayed up I dont think many other managers could have achieved what he has" Thanks for your opinion![/quote]

The pleasure is all mine! [:D]

I would however be interested in seeing any opinions citing which other managers were prepared to come to Norwich and achieve what CH has.........

No idea ABC. But if he was the only one the he didn''t have much competition did he, no wonder he got the job!

What a bizarre comment.

It''s one of the top 20 positions in the country, to suggest suggest no one else would have been prepared to come and do it is one of the craziest things I think I''ve ever seen on here.

Totally bonkers.

[quote user="canarygirl"]No idea ABC. But if he was the only one the he didn''t have much competition did he, no wonder he got the job![/quote]

So, seems to verfy what David McNally originally said in that CH was their 1st option. Probably looked around and saw that there were only a select few who could achieve what he did - and so D McN went and got his man!

Makes everything all nice and tidy [:D]

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]As I''ve said on other threads, with clever use of stats, you can prove an awful lot of different things...[/quote]I love stats, my favourite is probably the one that goes.... "If you take out the ten game unbeaten run, all the one goal margin lucky wins we didn''t deserve and the draws that should have been wins that''s proof Hughton is cr@p". Guaranteed to raise a titter if not a succulent chortle from me every time I read it.[Y]

Ha, Zac, that''s the same one that does it for me.

There''s been too many people spouting too much nonsense.

At the end of the day, after a long and difficult season (but with some very good matches dotted around the place where i thoroughly enjoyed myself) we''re safe, and CH has done a good job to do so. Anyone who says otherwise is too caught up in disliking CH and admiring Lambert to be objective.

Exactly Hog, the same Lambert who has inherited a squad which cost millions to assemble and added another 25m on to it in the summer and is STILL below us in the table and has been all season.

Common sense won''t prevail though

I think there is some significance in the stats. If you look at that final third last year, the 7 defeats produced 3 goals scored and 17 against. Much has been made of the word ''dire'' on here, but that looks pretty ''dire'' to me. You could also compare PL at Villa this year to MacLeish the year before, when Villa accumulated 38 points with a GD of -18. With £25m pumped in this year on players like Benteke and Vlaar, Lambert''s Villa has produced 40 points and a goal difference of -22 (with one match to go). The ''Lambert effect'' has hardly produced a quantum leap for Villa, has it!

[quote user="ellis206"]inherited a squad which cost millions to assemble[/quote]Doesn''t mean it was any good though does it?Players like N''Zogbia, Makoun, Warnock, Ireland and Hutton were signed for big fees and have never really performed to the expected level.And in regards to the 25m spent this season, just under half of it has gone on Benteke who''s probably worth twice that now, with the remainder bringing in 10 players, many of whom represent real talent for the future such as Lowton, Bennett and Bowery.I''m not bigging Lambert up here, but please don''t make out he inherited a world class squad full of pure quality, when in fact it had a lot of overpaid and overrated dross that he''s moving out of there ASAP and replacing it with young talent for the future...

"Consolidate this year and build upon it next year onwards, but, stay in this league."What a load of idiotic twaddle, based on this absurd preposition that somehow you can avoid relegation by ''not accruing points'' ! That there is some choice before each game that has as ''avoid relegation'' as one option and set out to win as another option.Likewise the nonsense being spouted by the ''downward spiral'' merchants. The only thing thatis in a downward spiral is the ludicrous tosh they post up, which becomes more ridiculous with every post.Comparing points gained is avery, very narrow measure of performance. Sure it is the ultimate measure in the sense of league position and what follows from that but it takes into account none of the other variables that affect the results.To select a small such a small sample then not factor in these variables suggest those putting up such claims are idiots of the highest order or have another agenda attached to these claims. The upcoming game against Man City is a prime example of this. For our part we are pretty much injury free in the sense of what would affect the team, have secured PL status next season but will be acutely aware that there is a potential £5m or so riding on the game in prize money. Man City for their part are curently riven by internal upheaval, manager and coach gone, there is nothing three or ne point can improve them in the way of league position or prize money. They have suffered the pain of an FA Cup final defeat whereas we have had a magnificent win (highest since 1993).What effect all this will have on the game no one can really tell, but I don''t doubt the same halfwits will be on here telling us that we are on a massive upward spiral if we are not beaten 6-1, that it shows how the club was right to ''consolidate'' (whatever that meaningless bollox is supposed to mean) and those who actually watched the game don''t know what they are talking about.

[quote user="City1st"]"Consolidate this year and build upon it next year onwards, but, stay in this league."

What a load of idiotic twaddle, based on this absurd preposition that somehow you can avoid relegation by ''not accruing points'' ! That there is some choice before each game that has as ''avoid relegation'' as one option and set out to win as another option.

Likewise the nonsense being spouted by the ''downward spiral'' merchants. The only thing thatis in a downward spiral is the ludicrous tosh they post up, which becomes more ridiculous with every post.

Comparing points gained is avery, very narrow measure of performance. Sure it is the ultimate measure in the sense of league position and what follows from that but it takes into account none of the other variables that affect the results.

To select a small such a small sample then not factor in these variables suggest those putting up such claims are idiots of the highest order or have another agenda attached to these claims.

The upcoming game against Man City is a prime example of this. For our part we are pretty much injury free in the sense of what would affect the team, have secured PL status next season but will be acutely aware that there is a potential £5m or so riding on the game in prize money. Man City for their part are curently riven by internal upheaval, manager and coach gone, there is nothing three or ne point can improve them in the way of league position or prize money. They have suffered the pain of an FA Cup final defeat whereas we have had a magnificent win (highest since 1993).

What effect all this will have on the game no one can really tell, but I don''t doubt the same halfwits will be on here telling us that we are on a massive upward spiral if we are not beaten 6-1, that it shows how the club was right to ''consolidate'' (whatever that meaningless bollox is supposed to mean) and those who actually watched the game don''t know what they are talking about.

[/quote]

Eh???????

What a load of rubbish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You obviously have ''issues'', but are you also thick?[^o)]

There used to be a City 1st on here a few months ago who kept being rude to people calling them the "ever so humble". He was a complete and utter Cnut, but he disappeared off the board for some reason, I wonder where he is now?