Sign in to follow this  
SYG

We will be in our 3rd year...

Of premiership football, I really wish people would stop going on about signing these ''lower league stars'' we NEED to be aiming higher, and better.

We must have a fairly decent spending budget, so lets go for it and get in other quality like RVW

Of course we could sign...;

Champions League winners

Club World Cup winners

Spainish Prem winners

French Prem winners

Italian Prem winners

English Prem winners

FA Cup winners

where would we end then...?

Banana, have you seen your sig? I seriously hope for your sake you are currently struggling some major life crisis. Otherwise, to be blunt you clearly have some kind of mental illness. Please learn a thing or two about football, thanks.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Banana, have you seen your sig? I seriously hope for your sake you are currently struggling some major life crisis. Otherwise, to be blunt you clearly have some kind of mental illness. Please learn a thing or two about football, thanks.[/quote]

Johnson and Holt would command £6m minimum for the pair as it is!

Money spent does not necessarily correlate with the quality of the player and all the players in the world were worth zilch until discovered.  Sustainable spending and an exceptional youth and scouting system. plus adherence to FFP is clearly the way to go.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Banana, have you seen your sig? I seriously hope for your sake you are currently struggling some major life crisis. Otherwise, to be blunt you clearly have some kind of mental illness. Please learn a thing or two about football, thanks.[/quote]

Disagree, while it''s a matter of opinion I think banana isn''t far from the truth.

I would disagree though on Johnson leaving and possibly Holt. Jackson, Barnett and maybe Surman I would be tempted to keep. The rest don''t really have a future at Norwich.

[quote user="Howson is now"]

Johnson and Holt would command £6m minimum for the pair as it is!

[/quote]

Sig changed [y]

Ginja, you say he isn''t far from the truth the disagree with all but 2/3 players?

The transfer fee is just silly. BJ is a 26 year old English CM with two years of regular PL football under his belt. We don''t need or want to sell him, Holt still won''t be going for anything under 2/3 million unless involved in a swap deal. Those two alone would smash through his pathetic anti-certain player attitude valuation. He''s decided Holt and BJ isn''t good enough and instead of trying to give justification to his opinion (and the opinion is of course allowed) he makes silly little snide comments.

Oh look he''s updated the valuation, how noble of him,..

Hate to break it too you, BJ and probably Holt aren''t leaving...

Your fav players recently been Aaron Wilbraham and Bradley Johnson... and I have a major life crisis! [:P]

Favourite has nothing to do with ability...

You are suggesting we get rid of one of our top red players this season because you don''t like him,

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Favourite has nothing to do with ability... [/quote]

But you dont want your favourite player to leave. Simple

This isn''t about who we should be getting rid of, it''s about the quality (not quantity) that we should be getting in...

No Banana, not simple.

He won''t be leaving, he''s a regular. He will be here next season regardless of my opinion. The manager, the one who''s kept us up, the one who''s played BJ in most PL games, he wants him here, BJ has been one of our most consistent, and probably most improved players.

Get over it.

[quote user="SYG"]This isn''t about who we should be getting rid of, it''s about the quality (not quantity) that we should be getting in...[/quote]

to replace players that aren''t good enough like Johnson

[URL=http://s1182.photobucket.com/user/im_a_banana1/media/tumblr_lml9uqU2Ap1qlnqgxo1_500_zps93191a8d.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x445/im_a_banana1/tumblr_lml9uqU2Ap1qlnqgxo1_500_zps93191a8d.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Banana, you are a complete tool.

Seriously, get a life. You simply cannot call yourself a supporter if this is the kind of thing you are willing to do. Wy haven''t you found a pic of his 30 yard stunner against Arsenal?

No, you''ve found a pic from five years ago, which is comet let irrelevant to A PL REGULAR FOR TWO YEARS. You could almost certainly find some examples of useless misses from Ronaldo and Messi from five years ago, are they not good enough?

Complete and utter tool.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]You could almost certainly find some examples of useless misses from Ronaldo and Messi from five years ago, are they not good enough? [/quote]

Go on then.

[quote user="I am a Banana"]

[quote user="Gingerpele"]You could almost certainly find some examples of useless misses from Ronaldo and Messi from five years ago, are they not good enough? [/quote]

Go on then.

[/quote]

No...

Because i''m not so obsessed about putting a player down for no reason.

Are you suggesting they''ve never made an easy miss? Because they have...

Going back to the original theme, I don''t see why we should dismiss the lower leagues for talent. If we''re too big to look there, then I guess we''re bigger than Man U (Zaha, Powell etc.)!

Johnson in my book is hard working and decent premiership material, but he is limited. We could replace him and guarantee better quality, but that might be lost and more so if the new player doesn''t have a great attitude. Same goes for Holt.

To progress, we will eventually need to do better than these two, but i''d rather phase them out than drop the axe as if we get the replacement wrong, we may need to go crawling back to their reliable average displays. Just look at QPR for a prime example of why you shouldn''t just buy on name alone.

[quote user="SYG"]Of premiership football, I really wish people would stop going on about signing these ''lower league stars'' we NEED to be aiming higher, and better.

We must have a fairly decent spending budget, so lets go for it and get in other quality like RVW[/quote]It is not the supposed quality but the ability to deliverSo afr the club have got it rightNo ''big time charlies'', just good honest pros willing to put in the effort on and off the pitchGood players who have have developed whilst at the club. Remember the reservations we had about Ruddy and Turner, the thoUght that maybe Bennet (R) and Howson weren''t up to it. Snodgrass was one of these "''lower league stars''" as Martin and Hoolahan are (were).The club has a policy of bringing in players with not only the potential to grow, but to ''bed down'' into what is the club ethos. To see themselves as part of a long term plan rather than a stepping stone or a one season contract that allows for the highest wage and fattest signing on fee.As many ''old olds'' will testify this has been not only one of the most successful periods in our club history but only of the most stable. Players move in and out seemlessly, each appearing to be designed to perfectly slot in when and where needed (E Bennett right back). this doesn''t come about by signing ''quality'' alone- see QPR.Personally I''m not too bothered where the players come from or what they cost. PL,SPL, Portugese league, League 1 ... even Colney as long as they can do the job - a job that is not just about appearing high up on the transfer spending list.

[quote user="City1st"][quote user="SYG"]Of premiership football, I really wish people would stop going on about signing these ''lower league stars'' we NEED to be aiming higher, and better. We must have a fairly decent spending budget, so lets go for it and get in other quality like RVW[/quote]

Personally I''m not too bothered where the players come from or what they cost. PL,SPL, Portugese league, League 1 ... even Colney as long as they can do the job - a job that is not just about appearing high up on the transfer spending list.

[/quote]

Similar to the age old football ethos of if you''re good enough, you''re old enough! We''ve seen time and time again players that would have been deemed too young by many managers absolutely flourish when given the chance. They have that ability to step up to the plate. We as a club have seen first hand when players from the lower leagues are given a chance that they flourish. If our scouting system believes that a player has the right attributes and attitude to contribute to our current success, I don''t care where we sign them from.

Absolutely spot on City1st. Thank goodness we have a top Chief Exec and Chairman to ensure we don''t drift into the ''big money so must be good'' syndrome

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]Absolutely spot on City1st. Thank goodness we have a top Chief Exec and Chairman to ensure we don''t drift into the ''big money so must be good'' syndrome[/quote]

Since it is ultimately their company and their money I suspect the majority shareholders might have a say in this as well. I do love the frequent implication that Smith and Jones (and Foulger) sit around at board meetings doodling while Bowkett and McNally take all the decisions. Anyone who knows anything about the operation of multi-million/billion-pound businesses in which the owners are also active directors would recognisee that notion for the absurdity it is.And while agreeing with the general idea that high-priced transfers do not necessarily equate to quality, it is a fact that we have just raised our record fee from £3.5m to £8.5m.

As well as signing well-proven good players, we should also be taking a small punt on one or two with potential, in the hope of unearthing future stars. Some of these may fail, but if one or two succeed we have saved ourselves some money. Of course, we hope that the upgraded academy will produce more home-grown players, but there will always be positions that need to be covered in the future.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]Absolutely spot on City1st. Thank goodness we have a top Chief Exec and Chairman to ensure we don''t drift into the ''big money so must be good'' syndrome[/quote]

And while agreeing with the general idea that high-priced transfers do not necessarily equate to quality, it is a fact that we have just raised our record fee from £3.5m to £8.5m.

[/quote]

Bassong was 5.5m (4m upfront with add ons perhaps?) if I remember correctly. Also, with regards to the 3.5m spent on Earnshaw, whose to say that for £8.5m old Wolfdongel has less of an impact than him. Spending the money doesn''t guarantee success.