Sign in to follow this  
Indy

Hypothetical question but……

Would you be happy if the board announced that it was about to ditch Hughton and replace him with Rafa Benitez?

Following what Southampton have done to move on in quality of manager would you be happy if Norwich did the same and brought in Rafa?

No I would hate it.

Some managers just don''t fit in with some clubs, managers like Benitez and Mourinho are lauded as the best in the world, I would love to see how they''d cope at a Pompey or Leeds, a team with no money, guarantee they''d be no better than a Hughton or Lambert.

I''d have to say yes, Hughton would be very hard done by, but Rafa has proven success and would attract some top names to us. I would worry about our finances and sustainability though.

" Mourinho are lauded as the best in the world, I would love to see how they''d cope at a Pompey or Leeds,"

N
ot sure how his mincing and prancing up and down the touchline would be received on the touchline at Pompey, but I''m sure his ''ooo don''t look at me'' pouting and flouncing would go down well in the rather seedy quarters of that home of the sailor.As to changing the manager then that should be only if the bard feels that the present manager was not up to it, NOT because some ''name'' has been booted out elsewhere.

[quote user="City1st"]As to changing the manager then that should be only if the bard feels that the present manager was not up to it, NOT because some ''name'' has been booted out elsewhere.

[/quote]
Hmmm I would prefer McNally and co to make decisions about our management team, rather than Shakespeare...

No, I wouldn''t. What is it with some folk. Hughton''s done the business so let''s look forward to next season. Any available foreign manager seems to make some of our supporters treble at the knees.

I mentioned him on another thread a few weeks ago. I don''t think he would come here as he is a ''top six'' manager but it''s a no-brainer, just as getting Martinez or Holloway in would be IMO.

[quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"][quote user="Sussexyellow"]I have yet to be convinced that Southampton have improved the quality of their manager. Jury''s still out for me.
[/quote]Combined with this bombshell this morning.

[/quote]
Thanks for that Ghostly Theo I had not seen that. 
I wonder what the hot topic is on the Saint''s board?!

[quote user="can u sit down please"]yeah.

It would be identical as his Newcastle scenario. They got rid because they questioned his ambition and ability to take them to another level.

How could you refuse Rafa or Jose?
[/quote]

Oh, that surprised me...

[quote user="Warren Hill"]

It would be identical as his Newcastle scenario. They got rid because they questioned his ambition and ability to take them to another level.

[/quote]

Oh, that surprised me...

[/quote]

I have no problem with Hughton but the club would be mad to pass on the chance of bringing in Rafa if he was available and willing.

[quote user="Warren Hill"]

[quote user="can u sit down please"]yeah.It would be identical as his Newcastle scenario. They got rid because they questioned his ambition and ability to take them to another level.How could you refuse Rafa or Jose? [/quote]

Oh, that surprised me...

[/quote]Have you got notifications for whenever i post [;)]

No I wouldn''t be happy. Hughton has done what was asked of him, with limited resources. Villa could even finish below us, havi9ng spent a lot more money and with you know who in charge.

Benitez has not really set the world alight, even spending big sums when he was at Liverpool, and we don''t know how he would be in our situation, with limited resources. I like him as a person, but  I prefer the one I know to the one I don''t know!

[quote user="Salopian"]

No I wouldn''t be happy. Hughton has done what was asked of him, with limited resources. Villa could even finish below us, havi9ng spent a lot more money and with you know who in charge.

Benitez has not really set the world alight, even spending big sums when he was at Liverpool, and we don''t know how he would be in our situation, with limited resources. I like him as a person, but  I prefer the one I know to the one I don''t know!

[/quote]Indeed, he won only the Champions League in 2005 and the Europa Cup last night .......

Not for me.Can''t stand his constant ''Rafatation'' of players, not to mention that half the players he''s coached (especially at Chelsea) claim that he massively overcomplicates things in training and that the tactics are incomprehensible to virtually anyone but him...If we were going to bring in a more established name I''d be wanting Guidolin or Favre over Benitez every time.

[quote user="paul moy"]I mentioned him on another thread a few weeks ago. I don''t think he would come here as he is a ''top six'' manager but it''s a no-brainer, just as getting Martinez or Holloway in would be IMO.
[/quote]

Whilst we are at it, lets look at other "top" managers who have taken teams into relegation besides just those 2............... ummm Harry? Adkins? McCarthy? Talk about ambition!

The one thing that CH has PROVED, as did PL, is that they are able to achieve great things within a limited budget. Now is the time to allow CH to prove his worth with a half decent budget.

Even though I''m not exactly enamoured with his playing style I''m not exactly in the Hughton Out camp, yet.Furthermore, if I was I wouldn''t want the Spanish Waiter either - I just don''t like him.

[quote user="can u sit down please"][quote user="Warren Hill"]

[/quote]

Oh, that surprised me...

[/quote]

Have you got notifications for whenever i post [;)]
[/quote]

Yeah, my "Shandy-drinker" alarm goes off..

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]Not for me.Can''t stand his constant ''Rafatation'' of players, not to mention that half the players he''s coached (especially at Chelsea) claim that he massively overcomplicates things in training and that the tactics are incomprehensible to virtually anyone but him...If we were going to bring in a more established name I''d be wanting Guidolin or Favre over Benitez every time.[/quote]

Not sure about that. A lot of the interviews I have heard with the Liverpool players that played under him, have been full of praise.

He fizzled out a little bit at Liverpool but you can''t question his achievement there when you look at what has gone on since.

If his management of Chelsea has been so poor, then I am sure they are absolutely gutted to have one the Europa League.

Most of the bad air aimed at him was mainly due to de Matteo being sacked. He came in and didn''t exactly bring in a ton of players, worked with what was there and has achieved with them.

Whether he would be a good fit for us would be something completely different. We are a world apart from Chelsea and Liverpool as things stand at the moment.

I think we are better suited with Hughton if I am honest. I get the feeling that Rafa would always want a ''bigger'' job and only really use us as a stop-gap to a bigger European club. He has been linked with a few big names already.

[url]http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/374837/Rafa-Benitez-s-coaching-gives-Chelsea-the-Blues[/url][url]http://www.iol.co.za/sport/soccer/premier-league/terry-baffled-by-benitez-s-plans-1.1502838#.UZTxfErtP1s[/url][url]http://thekop.liverpoolfc.com/_Rafa-Benitez-Destroyed-Youth-Development-at-Liverpool-Football-Club/blog/5617004/173471.html[/url]That''s just in a few minutes of basic google searching.As for justifying his ability because Chelsea won the Europa League, it''s not like they have a team of world class players up against relatively average teams like Basel, Rubin Kazan and Steaua Bucharest is it......oh wait......Even Benfica who they beat in the final are nothing special (especially not compared to the teams in the CL), and whilst you can only beat what''s in front of you, beating weaker opposition isn''t a major acheivement is it?Most of the complaints when he came in wasn''t simply down to Di Matteo being sacked, it was because he developed a reputation at Liverpool for odd choices and endless rotation (not to mention a few choice comments aimed at Chelsea over the years), he then failed miserably at Inter, and having been out of the game for nearly 2 years was given one of the biggest jobs in club management when none of the fans wanted him...