Sign in to follow this  
Alan

Replacing Svenson?

Do we need to. We have Jarvis, and Jonson and Henderson both prefer the role of striker.
Midfield and defence need strengthening before we sign any strikers.
Also any new players need to be good enough to command a first team place and improve the team. We do not need any more squad players who should only play in an injury crisis or warm the bench. The first priority must be to have 11 good first choice players with some others who can come in in case of injury and not two average or mediocre players to cover each position.

We definitely need to.  Obviously Ashton and McKenzie are first choice.  They will be excellent next season.  However, if either are injured or supspended we''re left with Jarvis or Hendo.  Neither will score enough goals to keep us on the road to promotion I don''t think.  Jonson and Hucks could play up front.  But then we have to shuffle our pack and find players to play on the right or left.  A third striker would be much more sensible I think

DD - why don''t you think Jarvis and Hendo will be good enough? I think Jarvis especialy looks like a great prospect. He has always looked sharp in front of goal and has a great first touch (better than Leon IMO). I saw the Fulham vs Norwich reserves game last September (last time I saw him live), he scored two and set up a goal when we beat them 4-0. He won back his England U19 place after his injury. He scored a great goal against Liverpool. He has been patient and hard working whilst waiting for an extended first team run for us. According to the Colchester FC message board, most of their fans want him back next season (although he didn''t score for them admittedly). I would still put Leon ahead of him, his partnership with Ashton is getting better and better and his work rate is phenominal, but would like to see Jarvis get a proper chance.

I am really concerned about our ability to rebuild the Midfield and Defence for the coming season. Although getting another striker would now be a good idea (i''m not denying that) it is less important than other areas as at least we have some cover...

Experienced, older striker be good to have.  Come in as cover and help the youngsters.

[quote]We definitely need to. Obviously Ashton and McKenzie are first choice. They will be excellent next season. However, if either are injured or supspended we''re left with Jarvis or Hendo. Neither wil...[/quote]

Either we replace svenson with a new striker, as it is unrealistic to rely on unproven immature under 20s as our third choice strikers in a season when we are looking to get repromoted, no matter how much potential they have, or Worthy plays Jonson and Hux in their natural positions and we have to strengthen three of the 4 midfield positions for next season.

OTBC  

He needs replacing, with someone with an ounce of loyalty. He kissed the badge after scoring then jumps ship when its time for a pay day. We were good enough for him in Div 1 when he was rotting in the Charlton reserves. Huge dissapointment. Good ridance Matt.

jimbob you need some therapy mate, he''s moved get over it.
tell you what if your a player and your going to be third
choice, or have a chance to go back home and raise your
family and play for a club in your native land, especially
in a world cup year, you''d rather sit on a bench.

people get over it, he''s gone and who wouldn''t in his position
svensson loved the club and most fans will thank him for
all his done and wish him luck.

Surely we already have a replacement for sven - ASHTON!

Remember that for the first half of our prem season we had Hux, Leon and Sven as our strikers with Jonson and Jarvis available as cover. We now have Ash but no Sven and a fit Henderson and are looking stronger than ever on the striker front, do we need more than this for the fizzy league?

Is it any wonder Sven left, he would''ve been 3rd chioce in the champ!

If I were Hendo or Jarvis and we sign a new striker to replace svensson who is very much in the svensson mould i.e. tall, expierienced, target man type. I''d hand in a transfer request because he obviously has no faith in them whatsoever.  

Jimbob, get this:

After playing a big role in our promotion (no, we couldn''t rely on Iwan to produce the goods) you get dropped after TWO premiership games and replaced with a central defender from Spurs.

Then another replacement is bought at Christmas.

Half the fans are on your back the moment you step on the pitch - don''t say they weren''t because they were.

You''re 30 years old, you get an offer to play first choice football at a top club in your homeland, and a nice payday into the bargain.

What do you do? I know what I''d do. Good luck Matt.

Absolutely Mook. I believe that Elfsborg is not only the club he started his career with, but is in the city he was born so he is literally going home, not only to his country. Ever since he joined he had fans on his back and this is proved if you go back on these boards to that crazy December a couple of years ago. Could never fully understand why people resented him so much even when he scored 5 goals in what was it... 6 or something games in the promotion season. Unbelievable! Anyway, goodluck and all that.

Jimbob, get this:

After playing a big role in our promotion (no, we couldn''t rely on Iwan to produce the goods) you get dropped after TWO premiership games and replaced with a central defender from Spurs.

Then another replacement is bought at Christmas.

Half the fans are on your back the moment you step on the pitch - don''t say they weren''t because they were.

You''re 30 years old, you get an offer to play first choice football at a top club in your homeland, and a nice payday into the bargain.

What do you do? I know what I''d do. Good luck Matt.

I agree, but I also agree we have enough cover in the striker department.

If Doc stays he could be used as a short term cover for Ashton, yes I did say short term.

If Ashton were to be injured long term then we would need to dip into the market (depending on our position)

I would like to see the following come to the club.

(1) Good young central defender to partner shacks.

(2) Quality replacement for Edworthy/Helveg spot

(3) Creative strong midfield player

I would like the following team a lot.

Green or Ward

(1) - Shacks-(2)-Dury

Jonson-Safri- (3)- Hucks 

Ashton-Leon              

Flemming/Doc and Charlton would be defensive cover

Holt/McVeigh would be Midfield cover

Hendo/Doc/Jonson/Hucks would be strike cover with some rotation.

Obviously we will probably bring in more than 3 players if Francis is sold as expected.

If Jonson wasn''t in your team, I''d like it a whole lot more.

It''s not his fault, he''s just not very good at playing as a midfielder. I think someone should have perhaps identified this before we signed him.

Having just read the article about Svensson on the Pinkun website, I have more sympathy with Matt. Initially I felt he was very quick to jump ship and wasn''t impressed with how quickly he announced that he could leave the club on the cheap following our relegation. However if he wanted a two year deal for greater security which Worthy wasn''t prepared to offer or even talk about then I accept at this stage of his career he does need security especially with a young family.

This tends to suggest that Worthy wasn''t sure enough about Svensson''s value or potential worth if we got promoted again to offer him a new deal - I''m sure Svensson would have felt that too!? Good luck Matt and thanks for some memorable moments!