Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Wal

An interesting twist ..........

We keep seeing many players suggested as possibilities for next season to ''upgrade'' our team but who would you like to upgrade?

For me it would be either Tettey or Johnson or Howson in the midfield, with Hoolahan playing a much lesser part and either Piljkington or Snodgrass being replaced with a winger with genuine pace.

I found it easier to name possible additions than I did to name who they would replace.

RVW let the cat out of the bag when he said "‘The plan is also to bring in an attacking midfielder and two wide players this summer."

Non of those players you mentioned will be leaving, In fact no first team players will (maybe Holt) but we will be improving the overall quality of the squad.

"Piljkington or Snodgrass being replaced..."

They won''t be replaced, they will probably get as much game time as the two new wingers* . With alternative players CH will more than likely rotate the Squad, use substitutions tactically and possibly tinker with the formation.

* - according to RVW.

I agree that we need a bit of extra quality in the midfield.

Johnson - has done well this season. Plays to his strengths. Would be interesting to see him next to a creator. It could only improve his game. Win it. Give it. Wouldn''t be too surprised if he played more of a rotation role next year, if we get that "bigilia" type player.

Tettey- the jury is still out for me. Started well but seemed to get a few knocks and often tries to do too much. Similar to johnson and just behind him IMO. Like BJ would be interesting to see him next to a creative player so that he could solely focus on his strengths.

Howson - most talented CM at the club. Needs to be allowed to get box to box. Personally for me it would be him and one other. Quick,can pass, gets his foot in and can finish. Big year for him next year after this year stuttered

Wes - love him. Still our most creative player. Better when in an attacking (more balanced some would say) team as has more options to deliver. Def keep him but to go to the next level we need a better version with goals and assists. Maybe someone like Maloney?

A post and I didn''t mention .....

Bennett - frustrating as all wingers are. Def back up player as behind snoddy. I don''t think a short loan would do him any harm. Needs to find consistency.

Snoddy - POTS in my eyes. Creator and goal scorer. Never hides, never stops working or moaning! A full backs dream (own team) as always wants the ball and works hard.

Pilks - I''d say most potential in the club. Young. Quick. Skilful. Gave Ashley cole a torrid time and a few other big guns. Frustrating season with injuries. I would like another left winger to come In, as I think competition would do him good.

The problem is CUSP we can only play 11.

By replace earlier I did mean replace in the team not replace in the squad as I feel the squad is under-strength. It would be easier to say who would be replaced in the squad than it would be to say who would be replaced in the ''strongest'' team.

IMO, Bennett offers a different option to Snods, especially if City are playing two strikers and/or chasing the game, where his pace and crossing abilities are useful. As for the RvW comments, he has said he was misquoted by the journo and CH has confirmed that, so I wouldn''t take it as gospel. I can certainly see an AM coming in to replace Fox though, and maybe a LW to replace Surman.

We certainly a back-up for Pilks, especially after his injury record this year. In Bennett we have a back-up for Snoddy. We need a further winger, not only in case of injury but also to cover for exhaustion! Snoddy has run himself into the ground on occasions, and this may explain the slight inconsistency in his game. Surman can play wide left, but his game is a touch one, like that of Wes, so he is not really a winger.

In central midfield eventually both Tettey and Johnson will have to be replaced, - they both have their limitations in passing and shooting. If  Howson continues to improve, then he could become a "permanent" selection, - CH clearly rates him now. We need more creativity from this area, and more goals, so there must be a significant signing there.

Ultimately there will have to be upgrades to the defence, with at least one CD added to Bennett, Turner and Bassong, one left back (- Garrido was given only a "temporary" two-year contract. Russell and Whittaker can cover RB between them.

[quote user="Salopian"]

We certainly a back-up for Pilks, especially after his injury record this year. In Bennett we have a back-up for Snoddy. We need a further winger, not only in case of injury but also to cover for exhaustion! Snoddy has run himself into the ground on occasions, and this may explain the slight inconsistency in his game. [/quote]

Surely a back up should play the same style as the 1st choice? Bennett and Snodgrass are different players totally. One has pace, good attitude and a quality right foot. The other moans and can''t cross during open play.

Not fit enough. Simple.

One of BJ and Tettey needs "upgrading". Holt has already, on paper, been "upgraded" with RVW.

Other than that, every position on the pitch - other than GK - is capable of being upgraded. I imagine we''ll be looking at players who can play in every position. When we find one who fits the bill in terms of quality and price, we''ll bring them in either as an upgrade of what we''ve already got, or to add competition to what we''ve already got.

The only players in the side that I think we would struggle to significantly upgrade in our current financial situation would be Bassong and Ruddy. Maybe Turner, so maybe we don''t need to look for centre backs too much. Everyone else in the side I believe can be replaced and upgraded fairly easily. (That''s not to say they''ve all been rubbish.)

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]We keep seeing many players suggested as possibilities for next season to ''upgrade'' our team but who would you like to upgrade?

For me it would be either Tettey or Johnson or Howson in the midfield, with Hoolahan playing a much lesser part and either Piljkington or Snodgrass being replaced with a winger with genuine pace.

I found it easier to name possible additions than I did to name who they would replace.[/quote]

Let''s upgrade to an attacking policy before we throw ''babies out with the bathwater''. The cautious approach has made many players look poorer than perhaps they are this season, especially Holt as far as scoring goals is concerned. If Lambert had played Hughton''s methods last year no doubt we would already have sold Holt as he would never have scored 15 goals under a restrictive regime.

[quote user="I am a Banana"][quote user="Salopian"]

We certainly a back-up for Pilks, especially after his injury record this year. In Bennett we have a back-up for Snoddy. We need a further winger, not only in case of injury but also to cover for exhaustion! Snoddy has run himself into the ground on occasions, and this may explain the slight inconsistency in his game. [/quote]

Surely a back up should play the same style as the 1st choice? Bennett and Snodgrass are different players totally. One has pace, good attitude and a quality right foot. The other moans and can''t cross during open play.

Not fit enough. Simple.

[/quote]Name one player that has been creative form open play this year? 50% of our goals have come from se pieces, so thank god we have Snoddys quality.

Some Snodgrass stats sourced from EPL index.At present Snodgrass is the 5th most creative player in the league. Only behind Baines, Suarez, Nasri and Mata.He has created 61 chances. 46% are from open play. 54% from set pieces. Only slightly more from set pieces. he creates a chance every 48 minutes.I must admit Nana, i thought the chances created from SP''s were a lot higher but it seems fairy balanced.

[quote user="I am a Banana"][quote user="Salopian"]

Not fit enough. Simple.

[/quote]

[quote user="can u sit down please"][quote user="I am a Banana"][quote user="Salopian"]

Not fit enough. Simple.

[/quote]

Name one player that has been creative form open play this year? 50% of our goals have come from se pieces, so thank god we have Snoddys quality.

[/quote]

4 of 5 Snodgrasses assists this season have been from set pieces. Basically without set pieces he is useless at creating goals.

Out of his 6 goals, only 3 were from open play. So take out set pieces only 4 goals have had Snodgrass help out. Not good enough!

Worked on preview....

Seriously Nana, that cannot possibly be your honest evaluation?

Snodgrass has been easily our best outlet all season, his delivery is decent and he scores goals. Better than Elliott Bennett in almost every conceivable way, that''s why he plays and Bennett doesn''t.

paul moy wrote the following post at 16/05/2013 12:32 PM:

Yellow Wall wrote:

We keep seeing many players suggested as possibilities for next season to ''upgrade'' our team but who would you like to upgrade? For me it would be either Tettey or Johnson or Howson in the midfield, with Hoolahan playing a much lesser part and either Piljkington or Snodgrass being replaced with a winger with genuine pace. I found it easier to name possible additions than I did to name who they would replace.

Let''s upgrade to an attacking policy before we throw ''babies out with the bathwater''. The cautious approach has made many players look poorer than perhaps they are this season, especially Holt as far as scoring goals is concerned. If Lambert had played Hughton''s methods last year no doubt we would already have sold Holt as he would never have scored 15 goals under a restrictive regime.

We have a squad where half the players are not good enough for the Premiership. It is not a case of players looking poorer than they are it is simply that they are not good enough. Many are left behind from the fast rise through the divisions. That does not make them poor players, just not Premiership players.

Perhaps you should also realise that if Hughton had played Lambert''s style this season we would not be worrying about not having Premiership players because we probably would not be in the Premiersship. After all, we we lost 8 and drew 3 of the last 14 matches last season after the methods used had been sussed out.

[quote user="can u sit down please"]I think you keep all that I''ve mentioned in the posts above. Players like Fox, Surman, Smith,Adeyemi will go. But I wouldn''t be surprised if Elliott Bennett did too.[/quote]

Agree with most of these - but I think Surman is a CH Quality type player, so I doubt he will go

"Not fit enough. Simple."

It''s not that he lacks fitness. More that he lacks pace, which means he spends large portions of the game sprinting full pelt. It''s not that surprising he''s spent by 80 minutes every game, but it''s just something that I think we''ll have to accept. He''s not going to become linford Christie overnight.