Sign in to follow this  
can u sit down please

Our greatest ever player?

[quote user="Andy Larkin"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]And your other uncle, Philip, was a librarian in Hull...[:D][/quote]He is a relative actually… the misogynistic old bugger.Still love this one though:http://allpoetry.com/poem/8495775-This_Be_The_Verse-by-Philip_Larkin[:D][/quote]

Not to mention:

Sexual intercourse began In nineteen sixty-three (which was rather late for me) - Between the end of the "Chatterley" ban And the Beatles'' first LP.[;)]

[quote user="Indy_Bones"], as well as some of the best keepers in the last 40 years such as Gunn, Green and Woods.

[/quote]

I''d rather have Ruddy in goal than Gunn or Green.

It was a different era but for me the one and only Barry Butler. One of the heroes of the great cup run. Could look after two strikers by himself.

Martin Peters was a World Cup winner but he comes second to the best player never to be capped .... Kevin Keelan.

Huckerby from the modern era with Holty comming in behind him

Goss, Crook, Gunn, Eadie, Sutton, Fleck  from my y00f

Off the top of my head without much thought.

Peters, Chippy quite possibly

Bowen would be worth a fortune in today''s market.

Huckerby for how the season was transformed and onwards.

What we''d give for a Chris Sutton next season guaranteed 20+ goals.

[quote user="can u sit down please"][quote user="lappinitup"]There can only ever be one contender for this...Martin Peters.World Cup winner says it all.Value now...priceless.[/quote] I would of loved to have seen him play. ghosting in to the box like no other, ive heard.[/quote]You missed a treat cusdp.Sometimes there are advantages to being old.....[:D]

been going since 1982 and i cannot think of anyone who has had more effect on our club and our history as much as grant holt, captain , goal scorer and talisman... lambert fell on his feet when he arrived and found holty already here and wasted no time in making him captain... there may have been better players , more gifted , more exciting but nobody has had the same impact as holt consistently over a sustained period, hucks got us up but didn''t have the impact in the prem that holty has.. he may not have been at his best this year but what he has done for us and whilst with us cannot be matched in my opinion... captain , leader , legend OTBC

[quote user="im spartacus"]been going since 1982 and i cannot think of anyone who has had more effect on our club and our history as much as grant holt, captain , goal scorer and talisman... lambert fell on his feet when he arrived and found holty already here and wasted no time in making him captain... there may have been better players , more gifted , more exciting but nobody has had the same impact as holt consistently over a sustained period, hucks got us up but didn''t have the impact in the prem that holty has.. he may not have been at his best this year but what he has done for us and whilst with us cannot be matched in my opinion... captain , leader , legend OTBC[/quote]Thats a really good shout! Yes [Y]

Just about to post exactly the same TIL....

But I also loved to watch Jimmy Neighbour play... The back heel and flick over his head whist running down the wing v Leicester I think? In 76-77? is/was the best piece of skill I have ever seen. Oh the old standing area at the front of the South Stand...

Holt for me too. He came to us at our lowest point and his leadership and goals put us in a position we could only have dreamed about 4 years ago. He played a collossal role in saving our club.

In my time, I''d have to go with Eadie, Bellamy and Huckerby. Shame Ashton didn''t have a career, otherwise he would IMO be playing for England and a top 4 club by now...

Like many, I would also have to choose between Martin Peters and Kevin Keelan. While I''m lucky enough to say MP was a family friend when I was a young boy, one of my favourite moments at Carrow Road was KK making an incredible save from Malcolm McDonald of Arsenal.

Always a tough one, the young Bellers was a simply phenomenal talent from such an early age as of course was Daren Eadie but our greatest ever?

Hucks is right in there as of course is Martin Peters, Dean Ashton is possibly the most gifted player I''ve ever seen but for me Chris Sutton is number one.

But then there''s Fash, Dale Gordon, Keelan, Chris Woods

Always easier to isolate the worst ever mind you!

Would be Hucks in terms of excitement for me, but then he didn''t spend long at the top level and so on player standard, i''d have to go Holt, Eadie, Sutton or Crook on what i''ve witnessed over the years on talent/ value.

Sentimentally, i''d put Gunny up there, he really looked after me when i was mascot vs Huddersfield in 1995!

Bellamy would have been up there if he''d stuck around a bit longer, but he needed the premiership.

Ashton is also a case of what might have been.

Another shout would have to be Bassong. I know it''s early days, but have we ever had a defender so at ease in the top flight? I still think Spurs were daft to sell him.

To put some perspective on it, Chris Martin bagged around 23 goals for us in league 1, where as Huckerby only got 7 in that premiership season he had with us. Who would you rather put up front though?

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]To put some perspective on it, Chris Martin bagged around 23 goals for us in league 1, where as Huckerby only got 7 in that premiership season he had with us. Who would you rather put up front though?[/quote]

Chris Sutton