Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

Rumour - Transfer. Analysing recent dealings

Well as we all seek to find the real value behind these daft rumours, i thought i''d look at our buys last year: Let me know if you saw any rumours before the deals I didn''t

Transfers:

Garrido - out of the blue

Bassong - out of the blue

B Johnson - heard whisperings a bit before

Snodgrass - rumours and stories floating about for a good year before he joined

Vaughan - out of the blue

Butterfield - heard a couple of things before he joined

RVW - big rumours in January dismissed them as i didn''t think we would attract him

Bunn - out of the blue

Whittaker - out of the blue

Turner - out of the blue

Morison - rumours flying around before

Howson - rumours went around briefly before he signed

R Bennett - out of the blue (a few people suggested we should go for him including me)

E Bennett - out of the blue

Tettey - out of the blue

Becchio - out of the blue

Pilkington - out of the blue

Rumoured players who never happened:

Abdelloue

CMS

Hooper - (clearly we went for him though)

Michu - (massive shame!)

Forster

can anyone think of any more?

Unfortunately it will not stop the witless posting up drivel they have read in the sun or sky football (neither of whom had anything about Garrido signing a new contract)There was a post on here somewhile back where some chap owned up to posting loads of false stories about transfers, but just as with those who believe in spiritualists and mediums there will always be the window lickers amongst us as well.

Just as an aside, we tried to get E Benno the transfer window before he joined, so it wasn''t out of the blue.

Don''t disagree with the rest, though.

Yeah we went for E Bennett the January before we signed him which eventually lead to him handing in a transfer request. We also went for Morison that January but our offer was rejected.

Depends how long you mean in advance of the transfers - there were rumblings in Norway about Tettey 2 or 3 days before he signed (he was choosing between Norwich and a Turkish team) but it certainly wasn''t an on running story like Snodgrass.

Norwich have been very good at keeping transfers away from the media, stuff very rarely breaks more than an day before being announced, mostly it''s only a couple of hours beforehand.

Shopping overseas will test this secrecy policy more, the RvW story was leaked before the club wanted it out there - not many clubs announce their largest ever signing at 11pm on a Friday.

Yes, i remember the E Bennett bid now.

I enjoyed the 11pm Friday announcement of RvW. I was in the middle of a night out!

I remember the olden days of teletext. The day we got Hucks and Crouch was great! I went to the Burnley game (their first) and enjoyed them two starting but then saw some fairly short black lad on the wing and thought "who the hell is he?"

We''d got that Kevin Harper chap in on the sly too! That sort of stuff doesn''t happen any more.

There was quite abit of build up in the run up to signing Pilkington, as I remember there was about 2 weeks of us knowing we were in for him before it was sorted.. I remember going on Terriers fan boards to see what they made of it and if it would happen.I too liked the RVW announcment, though I wonder if it wasnt for Lisbon having to declare to their shareholders all transactions, would maybe the club would have waited till the end of the season to announce it so as to not distrupt the player as a favour to Lisbon.