Sign in to follow this  
can u sit down please

Its time for a truce......

We are a Premier League team for a 3rd season. A sentence that is music to everyones ears and something that we all wanted.People know my views on Hughton, but its mission accomplished. IMO we could have did it differently but we didnt. We are where we are and the board are not going to replace him.NOw is the time for a truce as everyone is going round in that many circles, arguing the same points that to be honest, its making me dizzy! Im happy to give Hughton a pre season and at least 10 games of next season. I live in hope that our brand of football changes and we can play balanced football, live we have rarely seen this season.If Hughton proves me wrong, i will happily be the first person (well if i get there before Indy) to hold my hands up.Sunday was a great day for the club. The pant wetters say that this is how we should have played during

the season. The happy clappers are saying "look at that performance!"Im sure we all agree that on Sunday, we all got what we wanted and we hope we carry it on into next year.OTBC

[quote user="can u sit down please"]We are a Premier League team for a 3rd season. A sentence that is music to everyones ears and something that we all wanted.People know my views on Hughton, but its mission accomplished. IMO we could have did it differently but we didnt. We are where we are and the board are not going to replace him.NOw is the time for a truce as everyone is going round in that many circles, arguing the same points that to be honest, its making me dizzy! Im happy to give Hughton a pre season and at least 10 games of next season. I live in hope that our brand of football changes and we can play balanced football, live we have rarely seen this season.If Hughton proves me wrong, i will happily be the first person (well if i get there before Indy) to hold my hands up.Sunday was a great day for the club. The pant wetters say that this is how we should have played during

the season. The happy clappers are saying "look at that performance!"Im sure we all agree that on Sunday, we all got what we wanted and we hope we carry it on into next year.OTBC[/quote]

That is fine, but I can see a possible problem. There is no evidence as far as I know that Poyet, your first choice (and mine) to replace Lambert, was available this time last year. There is now plausible talk that he might be looking to move on from Brighton to a PL club. If you are still in favour of a switch to Poyet you have to advocate it now, because giving Hughton 10 games or so of next season probably rules that out as an option.

[quote user="can u sit down please"]We are a Premier League team for a 3rd season. A sentence that is music to everyones ears and something that we all wanted.

People know my views on Hughton, but its mission accomplished. IMO we could have did it differently but we didnt. We are where we are and the board are not going to replace him.

NOw is the time for a truce as everyone is going round in that many circles, arguing the same points that to be honest, its making me dizzy! Im happy to give Hughton a pre season and at least 10 games of next season. I live in hope that our brand of football changes and we can play balanced football, live we have rarely seen this season.

If Hughton proves me wrong, i will happily be the first person (well if i get there before Indy) to hold my hands up.

Sunday was a great day for the club. The pant wetters say that this is how we should have played during the season. The happy clappers are saying "look at that performance!"

Im sure we all agree that on Sunday, we all got what we wanted and we hope we carry it on into next year.

OTBC
[/quote]

for a horrible moment then I thought you were asking us to br friends with Villa and Lambert, NEVER 

Good post and as someone whose feet were set firmly in the anti camp I can agree with this view.[Y]

[quote user="can u sit down please"]Im happy to give Hughton a pre season and at least 10 games of next season. I live in hope that our brand of football changes and we can play balanced football, live we have rarely seen this season.OTBC[/quote]
I''ve been on the ''Hughton In''/''Happy Clapper'' side all season. Just because I wanted consistency, and thought he was doing alright at achieving his objective. Had we slipped into the relegation zone at any point, I''d have had a bit of a rethink. But as long as we were 17th+, he was fine by me.
But I absolutely agree his position needs reviewing if things don''t improve football-wise by the 10 game mark next season. This season hasn''t been pretty at times.
If this truce could make it to all the Norwich City supporters on twitter too - that''d be ideal.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="can u sit down please"]We are a Premier League team for a 3rd season. A sentence that is music to everyones ears and something that we all wanted.People know my views on Hughton, but its mission accomplished. IMO we could have did it differently but we didnt. We are where we are and the board are not going to replace him.NOw is the time for a truce as everyone is going round in that many circles, arguing the same points that to be honest, its making me dizzy! Im happy to give Hughton a pre season and at least 10 games of next season. I live in hope that our brand of football changes and we can play balanced football, live we have rarely seen this season.If Hughton proves me wrong, i will happily be the first person (well if i get there before Indy) to hold my hands up.Sunday was a great day for the club. The pant wetters say that this is how we should have played during

the season. The happy clappers are saying "look at that performance!"Im sure we all agree that on Sunday, we all got what we wanted and we hope we carry it on into next year.OTBC[/quote]

That is fine, but I can see a possible problem. There is no evidence as far as I know that Poyet, your first choice (and mine) to replace Lambert, was available this time last year. There is now plausible talk that he might be looking to move on from Brighton to a PL club. If you are still in favour of a switch to Poyet you have to advocate it now, because giving Hughton 10 games or so of next season probably rules that out as an option.

[/quote]

Id love Poyet, i really would. But realistically it just isnt going to happen for us. We missed the boat in June.

[quote user="can u sit down please"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="can u sit down please"]We are a Premier League team for a 3rd season. A sentence that is music to everyones ears and something that we all wanted.

People know my views on Hughton, but its mission accomplished. IMO we could have did it differently but we didnt. We are where we are and the board are not going to replace him.

NOw is the time for a truce as everyone is going round in that many circles, arguing the same points that to be honest, its making me dizzy!

Im happy to give Hughton a pre season and at least 10 games of next season.

I live in hope that our brand of football changes and we can play balanced football, live we have rarely seen this season.

If Hughton proves me wrong, i will happily be the first person (well if i get there before Indy) to hold my hands up.

Sunday was a great day for the club. The pant wetters say that this is how we should have played during the season. The happy clappers are saying "look at that performance!"

Im sure we all agree that on Sunday, we all got what we wanted and we hope we carry it on into next year.

OTBC
[/quote]

[/quote]

Id love Poyet, i really would. But realistically it just isnt going to happen for us. We missed the boat in June.
[/quote]

If we got him now it wouldn''t fit too well with that continuity you crave CUSDP....

Indeed it wouldn''t. But that''s another argument young William.

But you could argue that it would be natural for the squad to play his way.....

Here''s a stat. Brighton had the best record in the champ. Only now found that out.

"In Hughton I back."

"Here''s a stat. Brighton had the best record in the champ. Only now found that out. "

Cardiff, Hull & Watford managed to finish above them?

[quote user="can u sit down please"]Im happy to give Hughton a pre season and at least 10 games of next season.[/quote]No need to guess where you copied and pasted that from as you had already provided the link! [:$]I don''t see why your support has to come with preconditions, Hughton achieved what he set out to do by keeping us up. Thankfully, our board can see further than you and therefore will be backing him with hard cash in the summer (they have already with two signings). Anyway, what will your criteria be for sacking him after ten games? If we''re winning but playing dour football or losing but playing attacking football? If we lose the first ten games and the football is dire then it won''t need you or anybody else to mount a ''Hughton out'' campaign as McNally does not come across as one who will stick with a failing manager.Nope, get behind the team AND the manager, and don''t forget, it will be HIS team next season.

I''m also all for a truce as I''m dizzy with going in circles as well, but I also think we need to allow time for new players to settle in and gel. This would be the first half of the season for me (19 games) as City will have played every other team by then. CH has a long window to get the players he wants in, so the style of play should change accordingly, and I''m confident it will. CH is a Spurs man through and through and I''m convinced that he wants to play the Spurs way - creative, attacking football.

Given the resources which he inherited, and the prospect of second season syndrome, the manager plumped to shore up the defence.

I am not taking sides, and at times I have been doubtful about CH, but I think that as we bolster our squad there will less need for an over-concentration on defence, and we hope with RvW popping them in, our Attack may not always be the best  form of defence, but with a lethal strike force, we hope, opponents may have to devote more effort in defence. In this way the pressure on our defence could be lessened, and allow Garrido and Martin/Whittaker to get forward a create havoc!

I can''t wait for the new season!

[quote user="can u sit down please"]Indeed it wouldn''t. But that''s another argument young William. But you could argue that it would be natural for the squad to play his way..... Here''s a stat. Brighton had the best record in the champ. Only now found that out. "In Hughton I back."[/quote]

Finished 4th, 12 points off the top. How does that work then?

The only reason people are calling a truce is to pretend they were not wrong.We stayed up.  With room to spare.  With a poor squad.Just man up and admit you wet your pants CUSDP.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="can u sit down please"]Im happy to give Hughton a pre season and at least 10 games of next season.[/quote]

No need to guess where you copied and pasted that from as you had already provided the link! [:$]

I don''t see why your support has to come with preconditions, Hughton achieved what he set out to do by keeping us up. Thankfully, our board can see further than you and therefore will be backing him with hard cash in the summer (they have already with two signings).

Anyway, what will your criteria be for sacking him after ten games? If we''re winning but playing dour football or losing but playing attacking football? If we lose the first ten games and the football is dire then it won''t need you or anybody else to mount a ''Hughton out'' campaign as McNally does not come across as one who will stick with a failing manager.

Nope, get behind the team AND the manager, and don''t forget, it will be HIS team next season.
[/quote]

Someone gets a bright idea and it gets repeated ad nauseum. At least, it''s a slightly different type of bandwagon I suppose!

Who''s to say that if we had got Poyet or someone else in playing a more attacking style that we wouldn''t have been relegated?

Hughtons style for this season may have been the survival factor. We dont have the quality to go all out attack, look at Wigan!!

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="can u sit down please"]Im happy to give Hughton a pre season and at least 10 games of next season.[/quote]No need to guess where you copied and pasted that from as you had already provided the link! [:$]I don''t see why your support has to come with preconditions, Hughton achieved what he set out to do by keeping us up. Thankfully, our board can see further than you and therefore will be backing him with hard cash in the summer (they have already with two signings). Anyway, what will your criteria be for sacking him after ten games? If we''re winning but playing dour football or losing but playing attacking football? If we lose the first ten games and the football is dire then it won''t need you or anybody else to mount a ''Hughton out'' campaign as McNally does not come across as one who will stick with a failing manager.Nope, get behind the team AND the manager, and don''t forget, it will be HIS team next season. [/quote]As you say, i provided the link so it was probably a copy and paste jobby. You know MY reasons for not wanting the manager and im not going to go through it all again. Thats why it comes with preconditions.Thankfully they do know more than me and you, "McNally does not come across as one who will stick with a failing manager." Good.If its his team, are we going to get rid of Ruddy, Martin, Bennett, Johnson, Howson, Pilks, Bennett, Hoolahan & Holt? The latter maybe.  He couldve fielded HIS team this year: Bunn Whittaker Bassong Turner Garrido Tettey Snodgrass Butterfield Kane Kamara Becchio. He chose not too.He also had 2 full transfer windows where he had the opportunity to make his stamp on the team. But he chose to go with the players that will still provide to his team next year. Do they all have to leave before its his team?

I dont  think its just me either, but if we continue to see the SAME

brand of football and the SAME results i wont be happy. Would you? Clearly you would If that makes me less of a fan than i bow to your superiority. 1 swallow doesnt make a summer, but im giving CH the summer off and hoping we see changes next season.It was a year ago yesterday that i saw your blinkered view on Norwich City. I think you still owe me?!

[quote user="can u sit down please"][quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="can u sit down please"]Im happy to give Hughton a pre season and at least 10 games of next season.[/quote]

No need to guess where you copied and pasted that from as you had already provided the link! [:$]

I don''t see why your support has to come with preconditions, Hughton achieved what he set out to do by keeping us up. Thankfully, our board can see further than you and therefore will be backing him with hard cash in the summer (they have already with two signings).

Anyway, what will your criteria be for sacking him after ten games? If we''re winning but playing dour football or losing but playing attacking football? If we lose the first ten games and the football is dire then it won''t need you or anybody else to mount a ''Hughton out'' campaign as McNally does not come across as one who will stick with a failing manager.

Nope, get behind the team AND the manager, and don''t forget, it will be HIS team next season.
[/quote]

As you say, i provided the link so it was probably a copy and paste jobby. You know MY reasons for not wanting the manager and im not going to go through it all again. Thats why it comes with preconditions.

Thankfully they do know more than me and you, "McNally does not come across as one who will stick with a failing manager." Good.

If its his team, are we going to get rid of Ruddy, Martin, Bennett, Johnson, Howson, Pilks, Bennett, Hoolahan & Holt? The latter maybe.  He couldve fielded HIS team this year: Bunn Whittaker Bassong Turner Garrido Tettey Snodgrass Butterfield Kane Kamara Becchio. He chose not too.

He also had 2 full transfer windows where he had the opportunity to make his stamp on the team. But he chose to go with the players that will still provide to his team next year. Do they all have to leave before its his team?

I dont  think its just me either, but if we continue to see the SAME brand of football and the SAME results i wont be happy. Would you? Clearly you would

If that makes me less of a fan than i bow to your superiority. 1 swallow doesnt make a summer, but im giving CH the summer off and hoping we see changes next season.

It was a year ago yesterday that i saw your blinkered view on Norwich City. I think you still owe me?!
[/quote]

Hmmm, I think you are being deliberately mischievous CUSDP.

I don''t think you can hold Hughton solely responsible for his not getting his first choice strikers, that would be unfair, he doesn''t hold the chequebook.

Your assumption that Hughton''s team should carry no players from the previous regime is flawed and a bit silly. Lambert didn''t sign Holt, Hoolahan or Chris Martin but certainly played a big part in HIS team that took us up 2 years in a row.

There can be little doubt that our first XI next season will have more Hughton signings in it? It will become more HIS team.

As for fans being better than each other, well, I''m clearly the best.....and stop stealing lines from my thread, swallows and summers...

[quote user="Warren Hill"]

[quote user="can u sit down please"][quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="can u sit down please"]Im happy to give Hughton a pre season and at least 10 games of next season.[/quote]No need to guess where you copied and pasted that from as you had already provided the link! [:$]I don''t see why your support has to come with preconditions, Hughton achieved what he set out to do by keeping us up. Thankfully, our board can see further than you and therefore will be backing him with hard cash in the summer (they have already with two signings). Anyway, what will your criteria be for sacking him after ten games? If we''re winning but playing dour football or losing but playing attacking football? If we lose the first ten games and the football is dire then it won''t need you or anybody else to mount a ''Hughton out'' campaign as McNally does not come across as one who will stick with a failing manager.Nope, get behind the team AND the manager, and don''t forget, it will be HIS team next season. [/quote]As you say, i provided the link so it was probably a copy and paste jobby. You know MY reasons for not wanting the manager and im not going to go through it all again. Thats why it comes with preconditions.Thankfully they do know more than me and you, "McNally does not come across as one who will stick with a failing manager." Good.If its his team, are we going to get rid of Ruddy, Martin, Bennett, Johnson, Howson, Pilks, Bennett, Hoolahan & Holt? The latter maybe.  He couldve fielded HIS team this year: Bunn Whittaker Bassong Turner Garrido Tettey Snodgrass Butterfield Kane Kamara Becchio. He chose not too.He also had 2 full transfer windows where he had the opportunity to make his stamp on the team. But he chose to go with the players that will still provide to his team next year. Do they all have to leave before its his team?

I dont  think its just me either, but if we continue to see the SAME brand of football and the SAME results i wont be happy. Would you? Clearly you would If that makes me less of a fan than i bow to your superiority. 1 swallow doesnt make a summer, but im giving CH the summer off and hoping we see changes next season.It was a year ago yesterday that i saw your blinkered view on Norwich City. I think you still owe me?![/quote]

I don''t think you can hold Hughton solely responsible for his not getting his first choice strikers, that would be unfair, he doesn''t hold the chequebook.

Your assumption that Hughton''s team should carry no players from the previous regime is flawed and a bit silly. Lambert didn''t sign Holt, Hoolahan or Chris Martin but certainly played a big part in HIS team that took us up 2 years in a row.

There can be little doubt that our first XI next season will have more Hughton signings in it? It will become more HIS team.

As for fans being better than each other, well, I''m clearly the best.....and stop stealing lines from my thread, swallows and summers...

[/quote]I believe you stole my line after being in the pub [;)] thats note line, in th ePaul Merson sense either!

[quote user="Warren Hill"]

[quote user="can u sit down please"][quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="can u sit down please"]Im happy to give Hughton a pre season and at least 10 games of next season.[/quote]No need to guess where you copied and pasted that from as you had already provided the link! [:$]I don''t see why your support has to come with preconditions, Hughton achieved what he set out to do by keeping us up. Thankfully, our board can see further than you and therefore will be backing him with hard cash in the summer (they have already with two signings). Anyway, what will your criteria be for sacking him after ten games? If we''re winning but playing dour football or losing but playing attacking football? If we lose the first ten games and the football is dire then it won''t need you or anybody else to mount a ''Hughton out'' campaign as McNally does not come across as one who will stick with a failing manager.Nope, get behind the team AND the manager, and don''t forget, it will be HIS team next season. [/quote]As you say, i provided the link so it was probably a copy and paste jobby. You know MY reasons for not wanting the manager and im not going to go through it all again. Thats why it comes with preconditions.Thankfully they do know more than me and you, "McNally does not come across as one who will stick with a failing manager." Good.If its his team, are we going to get rid of Ruddy, Martin, Bennett, Johnson, Howson, Pilks, Bennett, Hoolahan & Holt? The latter maybe.  He couldve fielded HIS team this year: Bunn Whittaker Bassong Turner Garrido Tettey Snodgrass Butterfield Kane Kamara Becchio. He chose not too.He also had 2 full transfer windows where he had the opportunity to make his stamp on the team. But he chose to go with the players that will still provide to his team next year. Do they all have to leave before its his team?

I dont  think its just me either, but if we continue to see the SAME brand of football and the SAME results i wont be happy. Would you? Clearly you would If that makes me less of a fan than i bow to your superiority. 1 swallow doesnt make a summer, but im giving CH the summer off and hoping we see changes next season.It was a year ago yesterday that i saw your blinkered view on Norwich City. I think you still owe me?![/quote]

[/quote]Its not flawed. Thats my point. People do inherit people from previous regimes but people see the players that he inherited as not being a good thing.I cant help but think that the really pro hughton fans will only ever call it his team when he has a squad of 25, all of which are his signings.

[quote user="Warren Hill"]Hmmm, I think you are being deliberately mischievous CUSDP.[/quote]Of course he is. Why would somebody start a thread asking for a truce and then carry on arguing? Even to the point in his last post where he labels us "pro Hughton". If that''s not devisive I don''t know what is. Still, hes convinced me.......HUGHTON OUT!! [:@] [:@] [:@]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Warren Hill"]Hmmm, I think you are being deliberately mischievous CUSDP.[/quote]Of course he is. Why would somebody start a thread asking for a truce and then carry on arguing? Even to the point in his last post where he labels us "pro Hughton". If that''s not devisive I don''t know what is. Still, hes convinced me.......HUGHTON OUT!! [:@] [:@] [:@][/quote]

Just trying to answer the questions that you felt were so important.

To be honest I was shocked that you''d written more than one sentence of your usual wit!

[quote user="can u sit down please"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[/quote]

Id love Poyet, i really would. But realistically it just isnt going to happen for us. We missed the boat in June.[/quote]

You keep saying that while studiously avoiding the point in my post. We only missed the boat if Poyet was available this time last year. I have never seen anything to suggest he was. Hughton was available because he wanted to come and Birmingham decided not to stand in his way. Do you have any evidence firstly that Poyet wanted to come here and, secondly, that the highly ambitious Brighton owner would have rolled over and let it happen?It looks as if Poyet may NOW be in a mood to leave Brighton. But now is not last June.

I''d be happy with a truce, as long as the anti-Hughtonites  stfu.     I''m fed up with reading such a narrow minded view of what Hughton has done this season.  The achievement is huge because of the circumstances of the way he came to the club.   He gave us a great run before Christmas and has demonstrated on several occasions how his teams can play when on top form.  The tension of the performances since Christmas has been difficult - but the prize has always been within reach - the prize of survival - against all the odds.  Don''t give me that cr*p about last season, the same players and the previous manager.   The circumstances are completely different. 

All I have heard from them since before the season began is that he isn''t good enough.  Why?  Because he had the nerve to identify that the defence needed organising and set about on how to achieve it.    So that was apparently wrong.   Apparently everything he says is wrong, too.  Everything he does in the transfer market is apparently wrong.   According to them apparently loads of points went begging because we  didn''t "go for it" .   B*ll*x.  We are building for the future and this season was always about consolidation and a transition to a more grown up way of playing football.   If the anti-Hughtonites don''t realise that now, they never will.   

So yeah, I''d agree to a truce......but with conditions. [:)]

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]It looks as if Poyet may NOW be in a mood to leave Brighton.[/quote]The question then becomes whether or not we ignore this and potentially let one of the brighest new managers go elsewhere, or take the tough decision to remove Hughton to replace him with Poyet?My personal view would be to go with the latter if it was a genuine option...

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]It looks as if Poyet may NOW be in a mood to leave Brighton.[/quote]The question then becomes whether or not we ignore this and potentially let one of the brighest new managers go elsewhere, or take the tough decision to remove Hughton to replace him with Poyet?My personal view would be to go with the latter if it was a genuine option...[/quote]Poyet''s brief was to get Brighton promoted.....he failedHughton''s was to stay up.....he succeeded.Hughton also has previous Premier league and European experience where Poyet doesn''t. They both have similar win percentages although most of Hughtons games have been in the Premier League.What you are suggesting makes no sense Indy.

I remember the old CUSDP, who was sound, always seemed to make good and reasoned posts and was always the best source for insider knowledge.

This new CUSDP is either an imposter or a to55er, hell bent on posting nonsense now that their source has quite obviously dried up and they have too much time on their hands. 

Shame........