Sign in to follow this  
can u sit down please

Its time for a truce......

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]It looks as if Poyet may NOW be in a mood to leave Brighton.[/quote]The question then becomes whether or not we ignore this and potentially let one of the brighest new managers go elsewhere, or take the tough decision to remove Hughton to replace him with Poyet?My personal view would be to go with the latter if it was a genuine option...[/quote]Poyet''s brief was to get Brighton promoted.....he failedHughton''s was to stay up.....he succeeded.Hughton also has previous Premier league and European experience where Poyet doesn''t. They both have similar win percentages although most of Hughtons games have been in the Premier League.What you are suggesting makes no sense Indy.[/quote]

To be clear, Poyet was my first-choice last June in a theoretical universe, but I am not saying we should go for him now, even if he is available. It is just that cusdp keeps berating the board for not having chosen a manager who as far as one knows wasn''t an option back then.

[quote user="lappinitup"]What you are suggesting makes no sense Indy.[/quote]That depends on what criteria the judgment is being based upon.My view is that firstly I cannot stomach the thought of another season of the style of football we''ve had served up this year, and I''ve seen nothing beyond a "s**t or bust" game vs WBA (where the normal style of play we''ve endured under Hughton had to make way, as we were forced to play for a win instead of a draw), to make me believe that even with new recruits in the summer, there''s going to be a vast change to this approach next season.Combine this with limited ability to make subs that are both early enough and effective enough, and it gives me some serious areas of concern, especially if things are going badly and we need a "Plan B" or even a "Plan C" next season.Give me a fair and justified reason why these things are going to suddenly change over the summer and I''ll be happy to give Hughton my full support, but I simply do not accept nonsense claims about our squad not being good enough this year (despite last years performance and having been strengthened in the summer), or that we had to play 10 men behind the ball in order to survive...

Burn the heretic!

How very dare he have an objective opinion, it''s disgraceful that he doesn''t blindly think that the Houghton is better than Fergie, Guardiola or Mourinho. I also can''t believe someone would have the audacity to think that our players aren''t crap, and that maybe, just maybe, we underachieved in the 2nd half of the season. He should have his season ticket revoked for being concerned that the slide we saw might continue into the start of next season.

Maybe the forum should be renamed The Hoot''Un?

Just to play Devils Advocate, maybe his source hasn''t dried up and it''s a contributing factor in his opinion? Not saying thats the case but surely worth considering.

As you say, i provided the link so it was probably a copy and "paste jobby. You know MY reasons for not wanting the manager and im not going to go through it all again. Thats why it comes with preconditions.

Thankfully they do know more than me and you, "McNally does not come across as one who will stick with a failing manager." Good.

If its his team, are we going to get rid of Ruddy, Martin, Bennett, Johnson, Howson, Pilks, Bennett, Hoolahan & Holt? The latter maybe. He couldve fielded HIS team this year: Bunn Whittaker Bassong Turner Garrido Tettey Snodgrass Butterfield Kane Kamara Becchio. He chose not too.

He also had 2 full transfer windows where he had the opportunity to make his stamp on the team. But he chose to go with the players that will still provide to his team next year. Do they all have to leave before its his team?

I dont think its just me either, but if we continue to see the SAME brand of football and the SAME results i wont be happy. Would you? Clearly you would

If that makes me less of a fan than i bow to your superiority. 1 swallow doesnt make a summer, but im giving CH the summer off and hoping we see changes next season."

I compleatly agree with all of your points as this is my point of view also.

I am looking forward to next season and indeed this coming close season to see who comes in and who gos

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]It looks as if Poyet may NOW be in a mood to leave Brighton.[/quote]The question then becomes whether or not we ignore this and potentially let one of the brighest new managers go elsewhere, or take the tough decision to remove Hughton to replace him with Poyet?My personal view would be to go with the latter if it was a genuine option...[/quote]Poyet''s brief was to get Brighton promoted.....he failedHughton''s was to stay up.....he succeeded.Hughton also has previous Premier league and European experience where Poyet doesn''t. They both have similar win percentages although most of Hughtons games have been in the Premier League.What you are suggesting makes no sense Indy.[/quote]

To be clear, Poyet was my first-choice last June in a theoretical universe, but I am not saying we should go for him now, even if he is available. It is just that cusdp keeps berating the board for not having chosen a manager who as far as one knows wasn''t an option back then.

[/quote]he was an option and was on our list of potential candidates. Shame we didnt get him, but again thats another thread.Sorry for being an irrational to55er. This is the only time ive ever really been negative in my life. Its not normally like me but i just dont rate the manager, but i''ll happily lay off him for the foseeable future in hope that we kick on next year.I hope he signs Biglia, Hooper and Redmond. i think they would add something we really lack at present.But the source is still knocking about. If only some knew how the players felt. But again, thats a different thread and i dont really want to stoke it up.Onwards and upwards!

[quote user="can u sit down please"]Thankfully they do know more than me and you, "McNally does not come across as one who will stick with a failing manager." Good.If its his team, are we going to get rid of Ruddy, Martin, Bennett, Johnson, Howson, Pilks, Bennett, Hoolahan & Holt? The latter maybe.  He couldve fielded HIS team this year: Bunn Whittaker Bassong Turner Garrido Tettey Snodgrass Butterfield Kane Kamara Becchio. He chose not too.He also had 2 full transfer windows where he had the opportunity to make his stamp on the team. But he chose to go with the players that will still provide to his team next year. Do they all have to leave before its his team?

I dont  think its just me either, but if we continue to see the SAME

brand of football and the SAME results i wont be happy. Would you? Clearly you would [/quote]I don''t agree with your argument. We''ve been in the Premiership two seasons, and each year we''ve bought 6-7 good players, gradually improving the overall quality of the squad. There is no "his" team. Under McNally''s stewardship, the recruitment has been superb.

To put this firmly back on the train to common sense town though Mr Brownstone, who actually did say Hughton was better than Fergie, Guardiola or Mourinho?

Obviously no one Morty, but you''d have thought he was actually one of them the way some have gone on since Sunday, which as well as being a bloody fantastic day seems to have erased the last 5 months from some people''s memories.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]

Just to play Devils Advocate, maybe his source hasn''t dried up and it''s a contributing factor in his opinion? Not saying thats the case but surely worth considering.[/quote]Yes [Y]

Well Mr Brownstone (I can''t quote, am on IE) thats football fans for you, fickle. Frankly I should imagine a fair few are embarrassed at having made such a fuss. Plucking all sorts of stats out to prove how utterly bobbins the team they support is, yet somehow, in the big end of season wash up, there really isn''t a huge difference in league position.

A lot remind me of a child with ADHD demanding they be entertained, rather than perhaps looking at the whole thing with a bit of common sense, and perspective, and I firmly believe some of them were expecting the momentum of the last 3 season to continue, and achieve Champions league football.

This thread seems a bit daft - everyone has an opinion and is fully entitled to it, I don''t see any reason why people should feel the need to ''deny'' theirs unless it is an "honest" reassessment.

Personally, I think Hughton could see (as did we all) a massive requirement to try to sort our defence, and to a reasonable extent that was done (we had no-shows on the way, but were more robust and kept a lot more clean sheets, whereas were almost certain to leak a goal or two last season). There were some poor performances, but plenty of good. We are a work in progress and clearly need to improve, but there are promising signs and absolutely no reason not to keep the current manager in place to see what he can do...and signing RvW surely shows some intent (+ a level of scouting that hasn''t always been apparent).

As to some players not being ''happy'',that is one of those things - some ''get'' a manager, others don''t, that is always the case, and there will be more moans when they aren''t playing and/or winning.

I''ve been as critical of Hughton as anyone and I respect the fact people who were also critical haven''t been swayed by one crucial home win against abject opponents.

But I am prepared to accept Hughton achieved his overall objective and assuming he can assure McNally he has a vision for next season involving clearly identified players then he deserves the chance to take it on.

I''m not sure if its a strength or weakness because players are an egotistical bunch but Hughton shows signs of compromise and a willingness to learn. He needs to learn and he needs lessons on what NCFC is because I bet the atmosphere he has seen at FCR and in the u18s Cup has surprised him. Unlock that resource and feed it. This is a greater Club than you think, Chris.

He has bought some good players but, hopefully RVW aside has a poor record signing or loaning strikers. Overall, he just about deserves to play with the biggest pot of any NCFC manager.

If we saw ourselves as a bigger club we would be paying him off. He is likely to have the chance to make one Club REALLY his own and realistically we are about as big as he is ever going to get the chance at.

As for the Spurs thing. You CAN always be Spurs, Chris. I''ll always be Norwich. But if you want to know whether the two are mutually exclusive just ask Martin Peters, Jimmy Neighbour, Mark Bowen, Ian Crook, Ian Culverhouse or even Kyle Naughton and they''ll tell you you can have both.

Sorry but a few people on here need to hold their hands up, admit they were wrong, and some need to admit they were idiots. Some of the garbage the Hughton out brigade have thrown down our throat needs an explanation and an admission of being totally wrong. Some examples..........We won''t win again (Wrong)Villa are far better than us (Been below us 90% of the season) Ruddy is joining Arsenal hence why he''s not playing (Nothing to do with his serious injury and our England goalkeeping coach saying he''s not ready....)Wolfswinkel will be sold if we go down (ignoring the fact he can''t be sold in the same transfer window....)We are going down (Wrong)Hughtons negative tactics (same formation United and most successful teams use) Hughtons taking us backwards (Yeah because after spending £11m this season we should really be pushing top 4......)We won''t beat WBA (Wrong)

There has been loads more as well, all that rubbish McNally received on Twitter about the bl00dy grand national, what a joke. After our win against Reading, this forum was dead, totally dead, after our defeat against Villa, there were a good 30 or more posts created.... you pantwetters have been wrong all season and I think you need to stock up on the Prozac for next season

Some may have done that Morty, but most people I speak to are just concerned about how poor our form has been for the past 4 or 5 months and concerned that the manager didn''t seem to know how to stop the rot, or even be prepared to try a different approach.

It''s that simple really, and it''s a perfectly valid opinion shared by many people based on the events of the past 5 months.

From the minute I met Chris Hughton at the fans forum back in November/December time of last year I knew he would be a good manager for us.

Yes we have played some "boring football" but then maybe if we''d gone all out attack in games we''d have lost a lot more and wouldnt have gained valuable points.Managers these days just do not get the time. We have to give Hughton at least 2 and a half years before even thinking about getting rid.That is just my opinion however- and it seems as though the Norwich City board agrees with me!

Certainly shared by me Mr Brownstone, I am happy to see Hughton managing our team next season, but I find it hard to believe that anyone watching us play since Christmas cant have been concerned about what they were seeing.

Can''t quite believe that you get shot down for admitting you''re gonna lay off.unreal really.

I answered a couple if questions that I felt needed answering but probably shouldn''t have.

Damned if you do or don''t really.

""Some of the garbage the Hughton out brigade have thrown down our throat

needs an explanation and an admission of being totally wrong. Some examples..........We won''t win again (Wrong)Villa are far better than us (Been below us 90% of the season) Ruddy

is joining Arsenal hence why he''s not playing (Nothing to do with his

serious injury and our England goalkeeping coach saying he''s not

ready....)Wolfswinkel will be sold if we go down (ignoring the fact he can''t be sold in the same transfer window....)We are going down (Wrong)Hughtons negative tactics (same formation United and most successful teams use) Hughtons taking us backwards (Yeah because after spending £11m this season we should really be pushing top 4......)We won''t beat WBA (Wrong)"

oh dearI think you are confusing closet binners with those who have expressed concerns with " I find it hard to believe that anyone watching us play since Christmas cant have been concerned about what they were seeing."Two entirely different sets of folk, I don''t believe the latter are ''Hughton outers'' in fact I have yet to meet a genuine City fan who wants him out and certainly not anyone who hates him (as said elsewhere by others).Grant Holts comments both on the radio and in the press have certainly highlighted concerns that many fans have felt.Again, expressions of those concerns will not be quashed by having some folk getting upset by what comes out through these discussions.I would suggest you learn to distinguish between who is concerned about the club and who is more concerned about attacking our club.

[quote user="TCCANARY"]

"Here''s a stat. Brighton had the best record in the champ. Only now found that out. "

Cardiff, Hull & Watford managed to finish above them?

[/quote]Has he answered this?

I don''t disagree Mr Brownstone, some of it hasn''t been great, but I would like to think that the reasonably intelligent individual must be able to see the mitigating reasons (That Hughton hasn''t got a clue really isn''t one of them) and perhaps start to see why he did things a certain way.

Rather than wail about things clearly some of them have little clue about they should just perhaps trust that, given all the circumstances over the whole season, Hughton has fulfilled his brief, and shown that, given the right occasion, can play attractive football.

And thats the important bit, playing thinking football with your head, not all out attack and bugger the consequences as per the previous manager. And anyone who says they would rather see attacking football than stay in the best league in the world, is a divot.

[quote user="can u sit down please"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[/quote]he was an option and was on our list of potential candidates. Shame we didnt get him, but again thats another thread.[/quote]

Are you saying Poyet was actually available? That we knew he would want to leave Brighton - and that his owner would let him go? That he was on our list of possible candidates doesn''t mean he was available. Hughton was available on both counts. He wanted to come here and his board decided not to stand in his way. Are you saying that was the same situation with Poyet - and so we could have got him as manager - but went for Hughton instead?

[quote user="Mervmeister"]Who''s to say that if we had got Poyet or someone else in playing a more attacking style that we wouldn''t have been relegated?

Hughtons style for this season may have been the survival factor. We dont have the quality to go all out attack, look at Wigan!![/quote]The reason Wigan failed was because they prioritised a Cup run over the Prem and ended up  playing 5 games in 15 days. But for that exhausting schedule I''ve no doubt that they would have survived quite easily.  We and a few other teams above them should think ourselves lucky.

It''s been done to death Morty, but most of the criticisms about Hughton''s tactics were about a lack of balance, not because we didn''t go into every game with a s**t or bust attitude.

Yes, he fulfilled his brief and for that he deserves the opportunity to develop the squad further and take it into next year, but it we came much closer to the trap door than we should have given our position in December and it''s perfectly reasonable to hope that he goes into the first half of next year with a different approach to the one he had in the second half of this year.

Also, what is this crap about only having £11m to spend this season? The RVW deal was funded from this years budget so that''s a complete crock.

Tbh I think it is likely that Poyet would have turned us down - he seems to set himself ''projects'', and getting Brighton promoted was his focus, something he may well have wanted to see through (and almost did).

Do you think Hughton is inept Mr Brownstone?

Do you consider he deliberately sets out to lose?

What crap about 11m?

The point here is that people have to realise that we have no God given right to be in this division, we do not have a fantastically better squad than a lot of teams, or more money to spend (though obviously that doesn''t buy success - QPR).

Yeah there are good things and there are bad things, but people really do need to develop a sense of perspective, or next season is going to be very tough for them indeed.

Oh and we were never that close to the trap door, dry your pants.

I saw that Delia expressed her delight at what a great manager Neil Adams is.  http://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/delia_smith_s_delight_at_wonderful_manager_neil_adams_1_2194571

Has anybody seen a headline or anything similar from Delia or the Board regarding Hughton''s achievements ?  

Don''t be a dick Morty, there was no need for that. 3 points was plenty close enough.

Where have I said he sets out to lose? Bizarre comment.

I don''t think he''s inept as you know, I think he underachieved in the 2nd half of the season and failed to get the best from the players. Dispute that if you like, it won''t change my opinion.

No one thinks we have a god given right to be here, and we all know we dont have the financial muscle of many of the clubs, that is why it''s vital that we get the best out of what we have. He did that on Sunday and I hope it continues.

"And thats the important bit, playing thinking football with your head,

not all out attack and bugger the consequences as per the previous

manager. And anyone who says they would rather see attacking football

than stay in the best league in the world, is a divot."yes bugger the consequences, the reckless fool ... him and his back to back promotions - just makes you wonder what we could have achieved in those two seasons with a bit more "playing thinking football with your head,"and as you say  "anyone ....who would rather see attacking football

than stay in the best league in the world, is a divot."
- though the problem there is 25,000 did see attacking football AND saw us
stay in the best league in the world ... with a higher points total than this seasona season where in the penultimate game we had to revert to that former manager''s team (as good as) and tactics to push us over the line - recording our highest ever win since 1993So there is no ''either or'' option, which makes your silly comment about divots rather redundant - and it''s a shame that those who would be more suited to spinning yarns about the dear leader in North Korea cannot be made redundant from churning out these endless twisted and misinformed posts that grow sillier by the hour